|Developer(s)||White Birds Productions|
Micro Application (Europe)
|Release||October 4, 2007
August 12, 2008 (USA)
Sinking Island: A Jack Norm Investigation is a third-person perspective adventure game that uses point and click game mechanics. Released in France on October 4, 2007. it was developed by White Birds Productions, a company founded and led by Benoît Sokal.
The title's genesis came from Olivier Fontenay, who suggested that Benoît Sokal make police games. Sokai wrote a ten page draft in 2005. He decided to have a male playable character to offer a change from his Syberia series. The team created a new interface for the game, entitled PPA (Personal Police Assistant). The game was supported by the Centre National de la Cinématographie. A sequel was originally going to be released, offering a second Jack Norm adventure set in New York.
The plot is centered on the investigation of the death of a millionaire named Walter Jones. The main acting character in the game is Jack Norm, a police officer entrusted with the task of solving the mystery. The events take place on a fictional island owned by the late Walter Jones in an Art Deco-style tower. The plot takes place over three days and follows a classic murder mystery scheme where a detective needs to uncover the identity of the murderer.
Jean-Marc Oliveres of Clubic wrote that the game would engross players into its story and history. 4Players reviewer Bodo Naser thought that while the game promised a murder mystery akin to those of Agatha Christie, the title did not deliver. Adventure-Treff's Jan Schneider negatively compared the game's world to Paradise and Syberia. IGN offered a negative review, describing the game as having "weary, stranded-island sleuthing at its soggiest". Gamespot thought the game would appeal to adventure fans. Gamekult derided the game's difficult puzzles, sleep-inducing dialogue, and lack of plot momentum.
- "Encore and Microids sign exclusive publishing agreement for North America". Microïds. 2008-04-16. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- "L'Ile Noyée : interview Benoît Sokal". Jeuxvideo.com (in French). Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Visite White Birds Productions: Sinking Island". www.atlantisamerzoneetcie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Mystery Manor Benoit Sokal French Interview". mysterymanor.net. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Benoît Sokal - White Birds Productions - Interview - Adventure Classic Gaming - ACG - Adventure Games, Interactive Fiction Games - Reviews, Interviews, Features, Previews, Cheats, Galleries, Forums". www.adventureclassicgaming.com. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Sinking Island - Adventure Game - Microids.com". 2007-10-30. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Sinking Island coming to Nintendo DS - AdventureGamers.com". www.adventuregamers.com. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Test de L'Ile Noyée : Une Enquête De Jack Norm". Clubic.com (in French). 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Sinking Island - Test, Adventure - 4Players.de". 4Players (in German). Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Sinking Island - Test (2), Adventure - 4Players.de". 4Players (in German). Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Test (Wertung) zu Sinking Island (Adventure) - 4Players.de". 4Players (in German). Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Test (Pro und Kontra) zu Sinking Island (Adventure) - 4Players.de". 4Players (in German). Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- Schneider, Jan "DasJan". "Sinking Island - Mord im Paradies". Adventure-Treff (in German). Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- Balistrieri, Emily (2008-09-15). "Sinking Island Review". IGN. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Sinking Island Hands-On". GameSpot. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Test L'île Noyée sur PC - Gamekult". Gamekult (in French). Retrieved 2017-03-12.