|Traded as||SSE: 601669|
|Song Dongsheng (宋东升) (Chairman)|
Sinohydro (Chinese: is a Chinese state-owned hydropower engineering and construction company. In the 2012 Engineering News-Record Top 225 Global Contractors, a ranking by annual revenue, the company is 14th by overall position, and 6th among Chinese construction companies. As of June 2015 it ranks 4th among Chinese companies for disposal of fixed assets.
The company was founded in 1950, and is based in Beijing, China.
Workers of the affiliated company Power Construction Corporation were abducted in 2012 by the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North while building a road in Sudan. In a Daily Star article dated Aug 4, 2014, it admitted to being under temporary debarment by the World Bank in response to a query by Bangladesh government with reference to a bid placed for the Padma Bridge project.
In Malaysia, the company worked on a joint venture with Sime Engineering to build the largest dam in the country. The Sarawak Report, alleged that Sinohydro had widely used a technique involving adding excessive water to cement, making the construction unsafe. Sinohydro responded that the dam was safe but some work like the cleaning of silos wasn't done "following instructions". The webpage of the Sarawak Report was hacked after it published the story.
In 2006, a group of indigenous Lenca people from Río Blanco asked for an investigation into the recent arrival of construction equipment in their area. It was duly investigated and the community was informed that a joint venture project between Chinese company Sinohydro, the World Bank's International Finance Corporation, and Honduran company Desarrollos Energéticos (also known as DESA) had plans to construct a series of four dams on the Gualcarque River. The developers had breached international law as the local people had not been consulted on the project, and the Lenca people were concerned that the dam would compromise their access to water, food and medicine, and therefore threaten their traditional way of life. Legal action and community meetings were organized against the project, and the case was taken to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.
The main operating company of the group is Sinohydro Ltd which is a major subsidiary formed from units of the Group parent and Sinohydro Consulting and now held through a holding company Sinohydro Group Limited.
- Bangladesh 2014:
Selected by the government of Bangladesh for River Training Works(14 km length) of the Padma Bridge Padma Multi-Purpose Bridge in Lohajong, South of capital Dhaka. Contract Period : 4 years+1year (defect liability period). Contract Cost : BDT: 8707.81 crore. Date of work order : 31 December 2014. Date of Completion : Physical Progress of Work : Handed over land to Contractor, Mobilization of equipments & procurement of materials as well as Contractor’s accommodation, stack yard, casting yard etc. construction are going on.
- Pakistan 2013: Sinohydro selected by Government of Pakistan to construct WAPDA Tarbela IV Power Plant since September 2013
- 2012: Selected by Nigerian government to construct the Zungeru hydropower station, project worth NGN 162 billion or USD 1.013 billion.
- 2012: Selected by a local government in Georgia to construct a ring road, project worth GEL 210 million or USD 129 million.
- 2013: Selected by Government of Uganda to construct Karuma Power Station, a 600 Megawatt power station, the largest in the country. Construction costs estimated at approximately US$2.2 billion.
- Building the Port of Hambantota in Sri Lanka, which will become the largest port in South Asia by 2014.
- 2013: Selected by Algerian government to construct the photovoltaics centrales.
- : Selected by the Honduran private company, Desarrollos Energéticos SA (DESA) to build the controversial Rio Blanco dam.
Selected by Qatar Government to Construct New Hamad Port in 2015. The Project estimated cost is 1.3 billion Riyal. Project includes 57 building which includes substations as well, required for the electric supply of the Port administration area.
- "Top 225 Global Contractors". Engineering News-Record.
- "Sinohydro Group Ltd. Fundamental Rankings". China Stock Facts. 2015.
- "Sinohydro admits flaws in Bakun Dam construction procedures". Asian Power. 21 June 2011. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Sinohydro Wins Hydropower Project in Nigeria". SinoCast Daily Energy Beat. December 14, 2012.
- "Sinohydro Wins New Construction Contract in Georgia". SinoCast Daily Construction & Real Estate Beat. November 28, 2012.
- Uganda and China To Jointly Fund Karuma Power Dam Construction