|Pronunciation||Irish pronunciation: [ˈʃɪwaːn̪ˠ] or [ʃəˈvˠaːn̪ˠ]|
|Word/name||Hebrew יוחנן Yôḥānnān|
|Region of origin||Ireland|
|Related names||Joan, Joanne, Joanna, Jane, Sinéad|
Siobhan (English: // shi-VAWN) is a female given name of Irish origin. Its spelling in the Irish language is Siobhán (Irish pronunciation: [ʃəˈvˠaːn̪ˠ] or [ˈʃɪwaːn̪ˠ]), while the most common anglicisations are Shevaun and Shivaun.
The name is thus a cognate of the English Joan, derived from the Latin Ioanna and Iohanna (modern English Joanna, Joanne), which are in turn from the Greek Iōanna. This Greek name is a feminine form of the Greek Iōannēs, which is in turn a shortened form of the Hebrew Johanan (יוֹחָנָן Yôḥānān, a shortened form of יְהוֹחָנָן Yəhôḥānān), meaning 'God is gracious', and origin of the masculine name John and its cognates.
- Siobhan Brooks, American sociologist
- Siobhan Chamberlain, British footballer
- Shivaune Christina, Australian former model and Miss Earth Australia 2003
- Siobhán Cleary, Irish composer
- Siobhán Coady, Canadian politician and businesswoman
- Siobhán Creaton, Irish journalist
- Siobhan Davies, English choreographer
- Siobhan de Maré, singer-songwriter
- Siobhan Dillon, English singer
- Siobhan Dixon, American actress and singer-songwriter
- Siobhán Donaghy, Irish singer formerly of the Sugababes
- Siobhan Dowd, English writer
- Siobhan Fahey, Irish singer who was a member of Bananarama and Shakespears Sister
- Siobhan Fallon Hogan, American actress
- Siobhan Finneran, English actress
- Siobhan Haughey, Irish-Hong Kong Olympic swimmer
- Siobhan Hayes, British actress
- Siobhán Hapaska, Irish sculptor
- Siobhán Hoey, Irish sportswoman
- Siobhan Hunter, Scottish footballer
- Siobhan Karam, Canadian ice dancer
- Siobhán Killeen, Irish footballer
- Siobhan MacGowan, Anglo-Irish singer
- Siobhan Magnus, American contestant on American Idol, Season 9.
- Siobhan Maher Kennedy, singer
- Siobhan Marshall, New Zealand actress
- Siobhán McCarthy, Irish actress of musical theater
- Siobhan McColl, South African figure skater
- Siobhain McDonagh, British Labour Party MP
- Siobhan McGarry, Northern Irish television presenter
- Siobhán McKenna, Irish, Tony Award-winning actress
- Siobhán O'Brien, Irish singer-songwriter
- Siobhán O'Hanlon, Irish activist
- Siobhán Parkinson, Irish author of several children's books, including Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
- Siobhan Paton, Australian Paralympic swimmer
- Siobhan Redmond, Scottish actress
- Siobhan Roberts, Canadian science journalist
- Siobhan Thompson, CollegeHumor writer
- Siobhán Merritt Wever, Irish, Emmy Award-winning actress
- Siobhan Williams, Canadian actress
- Siobhan Clarke, Detective Sergeant in Ian Rankin's John Rebus novels.
- Silver Banshee, also known as Siobhan McDougal, a supervillain appearing in DC Comics.
- Siobhan Sadler, also known as "Mrs. S" a foster mother to two of the main characters in the television series Orphan Black
- Siobhan Martin, one of the twin sisters portrayed by Sarah Michelle Gellar in the short-lived drama Ringer
- Siobhan Ryan, daughter of Maeve and Johnny Ryan on the American daytime soap opera Ryan's Hope
- Siobhan, one of Christopher's teachers at school in Mark Haddon'sThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
- Siobhan, female vampire appearing in the last book of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
- Siobhan Sharpe, head of brand for the Olympic Deliverance Commission in the BBC television series Twenty Twelve
- Siobhan Kelly, deputy in the Cinemax series Banshee
- Siobhan Brody, mother of Roarke in J. D. Robb's In Death series series
- Todd, Loreto. Celtic Names for Children. O'Brien, 2000. p.73
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A dictionary of first names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford University Press, p. 356, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1.
- Ó Corráin, Donnchadh; Maguire, Fidelma, Gaelic personal names, Academy Press, p. 165, ISBN 9780906187395.
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A dictionary of first names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford University Press, p. 144, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A dictionary of first names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford University Press, p. 146, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- "Siobhán". Encyclopedia.com. HighBeam Research. Retrieved 17 July 2010.[dead link]. The webpage cited the following book: Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia. A Dictionary of First Names. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-508137-4.
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A dictionary of first names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford University Press, p. 409, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1.
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|