||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (April 2015)|
|Traded as||sipgate basic, sipgate team, simquadrat|
|Founded||2004Düsseldorf, NRW, Germany-|
|Headquarters||Düsseldorf, NRW, Germany|
|Products||Phone over Internet (VOIP) and mobile telephony, Internet services|
Number of employees
|Divisions||sipgate Germany, sipgate UK, Simquadrat|
sipgate is a European VoIP (Voice over IP) and mobile phone services provider.
sipgate's VoIP services provide access to the public telephone network using local geographic and non-geographic telephone numbers. Residential and business VoIP and mobile phone services are provided on a prepaid, Bring Your Own Device basis.
Since 2005 sipgate has provided VoIP services to private and small to medium business users. Most customers are located in Germany. Subscribers to VoIP products purchase Internet access from local third party providers. VoIP customers may use a Session Initiation Protocol SIP client software, SIP ATAs or hardware SIP phones.
On May 4, 2011 the firm announced that it had chosen the open-source project Yate for the core of its softswitch infrastructure. sipgate are among the sponsors of the Kamailio World Conference & Exhibition. In January 2013, the firm entered the German mobile phone market as a full MVNO. sipgate's German mobile phone services run over the E-Plus network.
team: Introduced in 2009, the product is a hosted business phone system (PBX) providing online management of phone services for 1 to 250 Users. All billing, end user management, call management, etc. is through an online portal. A mobile solution was released in Germany in early 2013 that can be integrated with the 'Team' business VoIP service. SIM cards can be used as extensions in the Team web telephone system or used individually with mobile and landline numbers.
Trunking: In Germany, SIP trunking services connect customer's third party VoIP PBXs via broadband with the public telephone network. SIP trunking can be combined with the team product.
basic and basic plus: The basic residential VoIP service was released in Germany and the UK in January, 2004. basic accounts receive one free UK or German geographic 'landline' phone number and a voicemail box. With a suitable fax-enabled VoIP adapter faxes may also be sent from conventional fax machines.
On the 6 October 2014, the firm released an open API sipgate io.
Smartphone VoIP apps:
sipgate provided a software application called sipgate for use with Apple iOS and Android devices. In September 2008, the Higher Regional Court of Hamburg (Germany) sided with a request by T-Mobile and issued an injunction preventing the download of sipgate, barring iPhone owners from placing calls over the device's Internet connection rather than over T-Mobile's cellphone network. In counter action, sipgate won an injunction against T-Mobile to bar it from advertising unlimited Internet access via the device. In March 2013 support and further development of the smartphone VoIP apps was ceased.
US and Austrian Services:
All services provided by sipgate Inc (USA) were ceased as of the 31st of October, 2013 . On the 31st December 2013, the company's Austrian operations were ceased citing negative regulatory restrictions imposed by the Austrian Telecommunications Regulator. The RTR imposed rulings that a company can only supply a telephone number to a property if they also supply the associated cabling.
The product allowed calls to be received at a German mobile phone number and be forwarded to other numbers and Skype. Ceased: July 31, 2013
- "Thilo Salmon "Public Consultation "Open Internet"" European Commission DG CONNECT, October 14, 2012".
- "VoIP Users Conference: Sipgate Chooses Yate". Retrieved 2015-04-26.
- "10 Years Of Working With Kamailio-At Sipgate (PDF)" (PDF). Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- "Kamailio World Conference & Exhibition". Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- "sipgate Press Release: Ab sofort: SIM-Karten in sipgate team". Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- "sipgate Team Edition", Secuvera GmbH, May 10, 2009.
- "Sipgate Team Edition Offers Cloud Collaboration, Business Phone Services", http://www.voxilla.com, July 31st, 2009.
- "sipgate plant offenbar Mobilfunkangebot mit Festnetznummer", http://www.teltarif.de, Thorsten Neuhetzki, January 04 2013
- "Sipgate Pioneers Countrywide VoIP Line Coverage, http://www.tmcnet.com/, 2004-12-13".
- German court bans VoIP on iPhone, September 11, 2008, CBC News.
- "sipgate Press release: Österreich: VoIP-Dienst sipgate.at wird zum Jahresende eingestellt". sipgate GmbH. Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- Tom Keating. "sipgate enters U.S VoIP Broadband Market offering free calls". TMCnet. Retrieved 2009-06-30.
- ""sipgate Inc Services Ceased On 31st of October 2013", sipgate".
- "sipgate.com phone service will end on the 10-31-2013, www.dslreports.com".
- "sipgate to end voip services in Austria per 1 January 2014, http://www.telecompaper.com/".
- http://derstandard.at, BIRGIT RIEGLER, 2013/12/23. "Sipgate.at stellt am-31 Dezember Dienst ein".