Sir Anthony Abdy, 5th Baronet
Background and education
He was the eldest son of Sir William Abdy, 4th Baronet and his wife Mary Stotherd, daughter of Philip Stotherd. Abdy was educated at Felsted School and went then to St John's College, Cambridge. In 1750, he succeeded his father as baronet and in 1759, he also inherited the estates of Sir John Abdy, 4th Baronet, the great-grandchild of the brother of his great-grandfather.
Abdy was admitted to Lincoln's Inn in 1738 and was called to the Bar after six years. He managed the estates of Sackville Tufton, 7th Earl of Thanet and was adviser to Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington. In 1758, he became a bencher and in 1765 he was appointed a King's Counsel.
When in 1763 Sir Henry Slingsby, 5th Baronet died, Abdy with the support of William Cavendish, 4th Duke of Devonshire, Burlington's son-in-law, stood as Member of Parliament (MP) for Knaresborough, a seat he held until his death in 1775.
Family and death
On 13 August 1747, he married Catherine Hamilton, youngest daughter of William Hamilton in St Paul's Cathedral in London. Their marriage was childless and Abdy was succeeded in the baronetcy by his younger brother William. Having had suffered from the gout in his last years, he died on it in 1775.
- "Leigh Rayment - Baronetage". Retrieved 6 April 2009.
- Kimber, Edward (1771). Richard Johnson, ed. The Baronetage of England: Containing a Genealogical and Historical Account of All the English Baronets. vol. I. London: Thomas Wotton. p. 373.
- "Abdy, Anthony Thomas (ABDY738AT)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Debrett, John (1824). Debrett's Baronetage of England. vol. I (5th ed.). London: G. Woodfall. p. 138.
- Burke, John (1841). John Bernhard Burke, ed. A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, Ireland and Scotland (2nd ed.). London: Scott, Webster, and Geary. pp. 1–2.
- Sir Lewis Namier, John Brooke, ed. (2002). The House of Commons, 1754-1790. vol. II. London: Secker & Warburg. p. 1.
- "Leigh Rayment - British House of Commons, Knaresborough". Retrieved 6 April 2009.
- "ThePeerage - Sir Anthony Thomas Abdy, 5th Bt". Retrieved 14 March 2007.
- Burke, John (1832). A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire. vol. I (4th ed.). London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley. p. 1.
|Parliament of Great Britain|
Lord John Cavendish
Sir Henry Slingsby
|Member of Parliament for Knaresborough
With: Lord John Cavendish 1763–1768
Robert Walsingham 1768–1775
Lord George Cavendish
|Baronetage of England|
(of Felix Hall)