Sir Charles Clifford, 4th Baronet
Sir Charles Cavendish Clifford, 4th Baronet (7 January 1821 – 22 November 1895) was an English barrister and Liberal Party politician. He was a member of parliament (MP) for over 20 years, representing seats on the Isle of Wight, and served as private secretary to the Liberal statesman Viscount Palmerston.
Family and early life
Clifford was the third son of Admiral Sir Augustus Clifford, 1st Baronet and his wife Elizabeth Frances, the second daughter of the Whig parliamentarian Lord John Townshend. He was educated at Charterhouse School and at Christ Church, Oxford where he graduated in 1843 with a 4th-class Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in classics. He became a Fellow of All Souls in 1845 and was called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1846.
Clifford was elected at the 1857 general election as the Member of Parliament (MP) for the Isle of Wight, and re-elected in 1859, but did stand again at the 1865 general election. He was returned to the House of Commons at a by-election in November 1870 for the borough of Newport, and held that seat until the borough was disenfranchised at the 1885 general election.
He also held several local ceremonial appointments: he was appointed as a Deputy Lieutenant of Hampshire in 1847, and as a Lieutenant of the Isle of Wight Rifle Volunteers in January 1860, but had resigned the latter commission by February 1863.
- "Baronets: C, part 3". Leigh Rayment's baronetage pages. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- Robert Henry Mair. Debrett's illustrated House of Commons and the Judicial Bench 1881. London: Dean & son. p. 47. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "No. 22261". The London Gazette. 10 May 1859. p. 1907.
- "No. 21986". The London Gazette. 7 April 1857. p. 1265.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 402. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Craig, op. cit., page 222
- "No. 20746". The London Gazette. 22 June 1847. p. 2271.
- "No. 22353". The London Gazette. 3 February 1860. p. 382.
- "No. 22708". The London Gazette. 17 February 1863. p. 821.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Charles Clifford
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Isle of Wight
1857 – 1865
Charles Wykeham Martin
|Member of Parliament for Newport (Isle of Wight)
1870 – 1885
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
Robert Cavendish Spencer Clifford
of the Navy