Sir George Clerk, 6th Baronet
Sir George Clerk
|Vice-President of the Board of Trade|
5 February 1845 – 29 June 1846
|Prime Minister||Sir Robert Peel, Bt|
|Preceded by||The Earl of Dalhousie|
|Succeeded by||Thomas Milner Gibson|
|Born||19 November 1787|
|Died||23 December 1867 (aged 80)|
Penicuik House, Midlothian
Clerk was the son of Cpt. James Clerk (d.1793), third son of Sir George Clerk-Maxwell, 4th Baronet and Janet Irving. He was born near Edinburgh. He studied at the High School in Edinburgh and then went to Oxford University, graduating DCL in 1810.
Clerk sat as Member of Parliament for Edinburghshire from 1811 to 1832 and again from 1835 to 1837, for Stamford from 1838 to 1847 and then for Dover from 1847 to 1852. He served as one of the Commissioners of Weights and Measures from 1818 to 1821. He held political office as a Lord of the Admiralty from 1819 to 1830 (from 1827 to 1828 he was a member of the Council of the Lord High Admiral (The Duke of Clarence), as Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department from 5 August to 22 November 1830, as Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury from November 1834 to April 1835, as Financial Secretary to the Treasury from September 1841 to February 1845. In 1845 he was sworn of the Privy Council and appointed Vice-President of the Board of Trade and Master of the Mint, posts he held until the fall of the Tory administration in 1846. He was also a Deputy Lieutenant for Edinburghshire.
Other positions of note
In 1812 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, his proposers being Thomas Charles Hope, Sir George Stewart MacKenzie and John Playfair. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of London in 1819.
Clerk married Maria Anne Law (1788-1866), the daughter of Ewan Law, brother of Edward Law, 1st Baron Ellenborough, in 1810.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 1)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 4)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 3)
- "No. 20440". The London Gazette. 7 February 1845. p. 353.
- "Library and Archive Catalogue". Royal Society. Retrieved 17 March 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Anderson, William, The Scottish Nation, Edinburgh, 1867, vol.iii, p. 652.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir George Clerk, Bt