Sir Guy Carleton Secondary School
|Sir Guy Carleton Secondary School|
55 Centrepointe Dr.|
Ottawa, Ontario, K2G 5L4
|Motto||The School That Works|
|School board||Ottawa Carleton District School Board|
|Superintendent||Neil York Slater|
|Area trustee||Pam FitzGerald (ZONE 5)|
|Administrator||Peggy Van Ryckeghem|
|Enrollment||502 (Sept 2006)|
|Colour(s)||Black and Gold|
|Team name||Sir Guy Knights|
Sir Guy Carleton Secondary School is a high school in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It specializes in Vocational Education, with programs modified to suit individual abilities. It also offers a General Learning Program, A Physical Support Program and a Behavioural Intervention Program for students with Special Education needs.
Sir Guy is also known for their motto The School That Works; it is well-known not for its athletics but is for its classes.
Students and staff
Sir Guy's students come from the western zones of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board and from other Ottawa area boards. Students are collected by bus from all over the city to participate in courses suited to their level of ability and entry into the workforce.
The staff is composed of more than 50 teachers, 20 special education teaching assistants, office staff, culinary staff, a technician and custodial staff.
- Vocational Program
- Advanced Culinary Education (ACE) Specialist High Skills Major
- Cooperative Education
- Non-Composite High School
- Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program
- Behaviour Intervention Program
- General Learning Program
- Physical Support Program
All meals at Sir Guy are created under the supervision of the Red Seal chefs at the school. In the morning, free breakfasts are provided to all who want one. At lunch time, lunches are sold or students may work 20 minutes to earn their lunch.
The Drop Everything and Read (DEAR) program is one of the school initiatives to improve reading by providing an opportunity for all students to read. Once a week the whole school drops whatever they are doing and students read for 20 uninterrupted minutes material about the subject they are in. For example, if a student is in Auto Mechanics they read about cars, if they are in the Child Care class they read about children.
The SAGE Youth Program gives students an opportunity to develop and improve their basic literacy skills by working one-on-one with trained and devoted volunteers once a week. The volunteers are from Sage Youth, a volunteer organization based in Ottawa whose purpose is helping high-need children to improve their reading. Sir Guy Carleton hosts these volunteers and pairs them students who want extra help.
- Sir Guy celebrated its 25th year in 2006.
- Retired Principal Debra Ford is among 32 exceptional leaders in education from across the country being recognized as one of Canada’s Outstanding Principals for 2007. Current Principal Kevin Bush was recognized for the same award in 2010 2011
- The school was featured on the TVO Studio 2 program that was produced in June 2005.
- On October 10, 2014 an Annual Event Held a Thanksgiving dinner to serve more than 1,100 meals.
- Sir Guy Carleton Hosted its 24 annual Thanksgiving dinner October 11, 2015 .
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2007-04-03.
- School Website
- OCDSB Website
- 2006-2007 OCDSB School Profile
- 2005-2006 OCDSB School Profile
- 2004-2005 OCDSB School Profile