Sir Henry Craik, 1st Baronet
He was appointed as a junior examiner of the Committee of Council on Education in 1871 and promoted, in 1878, to the position of Senior examiner until 1885. In this year Scotland got an independent Committee of Council on Education known as the Scotch Education Department. Craik was appointed as its Secretary. A post he held from 1885 to 1904. In October 1901 he received a degree in law (LL.D.) from the University of St Andrews.
He was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) in 1888, and promoted to Knight Commander (KCB) in 1897. He was made a Privy Councillor in 1918, and in the New Year Honours List 1926, he was made a baronet, of Kennoway, in the County of Fife.
Craik was born on 18 October 1846 in Glasgow. Son of the Rev. James Craik, D.D., a prominent clergyman and Moderator of the Church of Scotland. He married on 17 December 1873 to Fanny Esther Duffield, daughter of Charles Duffield. They had two children: George Lillie (1874–1929) and Henry Duffield (1876–1955). George succeeded his father in the baronetcy, he died two years later. He was succeed by his brother Henry, who was Governor of the Punjab from 1938 to 1941.
- Historical list of MPs: G (part 2)
- Supplement to the London Gazette Issue 33119 published on 29 December 1925. Page 2 of 12]
- "University intelligence". The Times (36595). London. 25 October 1901. p. 5.
- Historical list of MPs: S (part 2)
- Gazette Issue 25773 published on 5 January 1888. Page 123 of 140
- Supplement to the London Gazette Issue 26867 published on 25 June 1897. Page 2 of 6
- London Gazette Issue 26947 published on 14 March 1898. Page 107 of 150
- London Gazette Issue 33131 published on 9 February 1926. Page 4 of 82
- "Craik, Sir Henry, first baronet (1846–1927)". The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/32615.
- ThePeerage.com: Sir Henry Craik, 1st Bt.
- List of Baronets: C (part 5)
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918-1949 (3rd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. ISBN 0-900178-06-X.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Henry Craik
- Works by Henry Craik at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Henry Craik at Internet Archive
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
James Alexander Campbell
| Member of Parliament for Glasgow and Aberdeen Universities
|New constituency|| Member of Parliament for the Combined Scottish Universities
With: Sir William Cheyne, 1918–1922
Dugald Cowan, 1918–1934
George Berry, 1922–1931
Dugald Cowan and
George Berry and
| Oldest Member of Parliament
Sir James Agg-Gardner
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baronet
George Lillie Craik