Sir John Carew Pole, 12th Baronet
|Sir John Gawen Carew Pole, 12th Bt.|
|Preceded by||Sir Edward Bolitho|
|Succeeded by||Viscount Falmouth|
|Born||John Gawen Pole-Carew
5 October 1844
|Died||26 October 1993|
|Spouse(s)||Cynthia Mary Burns
(m. 1928; her death 1977)
(m. 1979; his death 1993)
|Children||Elizabeth Mary Carew Pole
Caroline Anne Carew Pole
Sir Richard Carew Pole, 13th Baronet
|Parents||Sir Reginald Pole-Carew
|Relatives||James Butler, 3rd Marquess of Ormonde (grandfather)|
|Alma mater||Royal Military College, Sandhurst|
Sir John Gawen Carew Pole, 12th Baronet (4 March 1902 – 26 January 1993) was a Cornish landowner, soldier and politician. He was Chairman of Cornwall County Council from 1952 to 1963 and Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall from 1962 to 1977, briefly serving in both roles simultaneously. His name until 1926 was John Gawen Pole-Carew.
John Gawen Carew Pole was the elder son of Lieutenant-General Sir Reginald Pole-Carew (1849–1924), by his marriage to Lady Beatrice (1876–1952), a daughter of the James Butler, 3rd Marquess of Ormonde (1844–1919).
Carew Pole was educated at Eton and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. In 1926, he changed his name by deed poll from John Gawen Pole-Carew to John Gawen Carew Pole. He was succeeded by his son Sir Richard Carew Pole, 13th Baronet.
Carew Pole served in the Coldstream Guards from 1923 to 1939 and commanded the 5th Battalion the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (a Territorial Army unit) from 1939 to 1943, then commanded the 2nd Battalion the Devonshire Regiment, from 1944. He was Aide-de-camp to the Commander-in-Chief in India in 1924–25 and a Gentleman of HM Bodyguard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms, from 1950 to 1972, and Prime Warden of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers for 1969–70.
On 12 June 1928, Carew Pole married Cynthia Mary Burns (d. 1977). She was the daughter of Walter Spencer Morgan Burns (1872–1929), a nephew of J. P. Morgan and grandson of Junius Spencer Morgan, both well-known American bankers, and Ruth Evelyn Cavendish-Bentinck (1883–1978). Through her mother, she was the granddaughter of William George Cavendish-Bentinck and the great-granddaughter of The Rt. Hon. George Augustus Frederick Cavendish-Bentinck (1821–1891) and Prudentia Penelope Leslie (d. 1896), who was the daughter of Col. Charles Powell Leslie II (1769–1831). Together, they had one son and two daughters:
- Elizabeth Mary Carew Pole (b. 1929), who married David Cuthbert Tudway Quilter (1921–2007), grandson of Sir Cuthbert Quilter, 1st Baronet (1841–1911) and nephew of Sir Cuthbert Quilter, 2nd Baronet and Roger Quilter
- Caroline Anne Carew Pole (b. 1933), who married Paul Asquith (1927–1984), the son of Cyril Asquith, Baron Asquith of Bishopstone
- Sir Richard Carew Pole, 13th Baronet (b. 1938), who married Mary Dawnay (b. 1936)
In 1979, after his first wife's death in 1977, Joan Fulford, the widow of Lt-Colonel Anthony Fulford.
- ‘CAREW POLE, Col. Sir John (Gawen)’, in Who Was Who (London: A. & C. Black, 1920–2008; online edition (subscription site) by Oxford University Press, December 2007, accessed 20 April 2012
- "No. 33172". The London Gazette. 15 June 1926. p. 3941.
- Sir John Gawen Carew Pole, 12th Bt. at thepeerage.com, accessed 20 April 2012
- Archives, The National. "The Discovery Service". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- "BURNS -- CAVENDISH-BENTINCK". The New York Times. 10 February 1907. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- "Ruth Evelyn Burns (née Cavendish-Bentinck)". npg.org.uk. National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- "ROYALTY AT BRIDAL OF CYNTHIA M. BURNS; Former New Yorker Wed to Sir John Pole-Carew at St. Margaret's, London". The New York Times. 13 June 1928. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- "Sir (John) Richard Walter Reginald Carew Pole, 13th Bt". npg.org.uk. National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- Ltd, e3 Media. "Sir John Carew Pole, 12th Bt (1902–1993), as a Pageboy for George V's Coronation, 22nd June 1911 353078 | National Trust Collections". www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- "Sir John Carew Pole (1902–1993), 12th Bt | Art UK Art UK | Discover Artworks Sir John Carew Pole (1902–1993), 12th Bt". artuk.org. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
Sir Edward Bolitho