John Parker (businessman)
Sir Thomas John Parker GBE FREng (born 8 April 1942) is a British businessman. He is currently Chairman of Anglo American PLC and Ombu Group, Deputy Chairman of DP World, and a Director of EADS and Carnival Corporation & plc. He is also past President of the Royal Academy of Engineering, patron at the Centre for Process Innovation and a Visiting Fellow of the University of Oxford. Sir John has chaired five FTSE 100 companies, including National Grid plc, from which he stood down in December 2011. He was born in County Down, Northern Ireland.
He attended Belfast College of Technology (since 1991 called Belfast Metropolitan College). In 1958, at age 17, he joined Harland and Wolff as an apprentice naval architect (engineer). At Queen's University Belfast he was awarded a DSc (Hons) degree in Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture.
- 1983–1993 chief executive of Harland and Wolff
- 1994–2000 Chairman of Babcock International Group
- 2000–2002 Chairman of Lattice Group
- 2000–present Director of Carnival plc
- 2002–2011 Chairman of National Grid plc.
- 2003–present Director of Carnival Corporation
- May 2007–present Director and Vice-Chairman of DP World
- 2007–present Director of EADS
- July 2008 Non-executive Chairman of BVT Surface Fleet.
- July 2009–present Chairman of Anglo American PLC.
- April 2011–present Non-executive Chairman of Ombu Group
- August 2015 – present Chairman of Pennon Group PLC.
He was knighted for services to defence and shipbuilding in 2001. He was also the Chancellor of the University of Southampton, from 2006 to 2011, as well as being a governor of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. Other appointments have included membership of the Prime Minister's Business Council for Britain and non-executive director at the Bank of England. He was President of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects from 1996–9. In 2012, he was made a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire (GBE), for services to Industry and to the Voluntary Sector. He was conferred with Honorary Fellowship of the Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland in 2012. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 1983. He was elected as an Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) in 2014.
He married in 1967, he has a son and daughter.
- "List of Fellows".
- THE LONDON GAZETTE SATURDAY 30 DECEMBER 2000 SUPPLEMENT No. 1
- "Profile: Sir John Parker, National Grid chairman". London: The Telegraph. 20 February 2008. Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- Stiff, Peter (25 August 2008). "Business big shot: Sir John Parker, Chairman of National Grid". London: The Times. Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- "CBI president to be next Chancellor of the University of Southampton". University of Southampton. 12 April 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Business Council for Britain". UK Government. Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- "Bank of England – The Court of Directors". "Bank of England". Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- THE LONDON GAZETTE SATURDAY 16 JUNE 2012 SUPPLEMENT No. 1
- "Honorary Fellows". The Institution of Engineering and Technology. Retrieved January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Parker.|
- Anglo American Chairman Profile
- Ombu Group Chairman Profile
- DP World Vice Chairman Profile
- EADS Director Profile
- Carnival Corporation & plc Director Profile
- Royal Academy of Engineering President Profile
- University of Oxford Visiting Fellow Profile
- Defence Academy
- Sir John Parker: how to engineer Briatin's industrial revival, The Guardian, 4 June 2012
- Sir John Parker: tough man from the farm, FT.com, 21 April 2011
- Interview: Super chairman Sir John Parker, This is Money, March 2011
- Sir John Parker: 'A man you want on your side, and not one to cross', The Independent, 10 January 2010
- Sir John Parker holds the key to tackling Anglo American's weakness, The Guardian, 15 October 2009
- Profile: Sir John Parker, National Grid chairman, The Telegraph, 18 February 2008
|Professional and academic associations|
Alec Broers, Baron Broers
|President of the Royal Academy of Engineering
September 2011– August 2014
Dame Ann Dowling
John Palmer, 4th Earl of Selborne
|Chancellor of the University of Southampton
Dame Helen Alexander
Sir Mark Moody-Stuart
|Chairman of Anglo American plc
Jeffrey Sterling, Baron Sterling of Plaistow
|Chairman of P&O
Incumbent Vice President, DP World
following take over
James Hood Ross OBE
prior to merger with Lattice Group
|Chairman of National Grid plc
Sir Peter Gershon
John King, Baron King of Wartnaby
|Chairman of Babcock International
Gordon Arden Campbell CBE, FREng