John Parker (businessman)
Sir John Parker
|Born||8 April 1942|
County Down, Northern Ireland
Sir Thomas John Parker, GBE, Kt., FREng, HonFIES, HonFIET (born 8 April 1942) is a British businessman. He is chairman of Pennon Group and Laing O'Rourke, a director of Carnival Corporation & plc and lead non-executive director at the Cabinet Office. He has been a director or chairman of numerous other public companies including Airbus, Anglo American plc, Babcock International, British Gas, DP World, Lattice Group, National Grid plc and Ombu Group. He is a past President of the Royal Academy of Engineering, patron at the Centre for Process Innovation and a Visiting Fellow of the University of Oxford.
Parker was born into a farming family in County Down, Northern Ireland. He attended Belfast College of Technology (since 1991 called Belfast Metropolitan College). In 1958, at age 17, he joined Harland and Wolff as an apprentice naval architect (engineer). At Queen's University Belfast he was awarded an Honorary DSc degree in Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture.
- 1958–1963 Apprenticeship at Harland & Wolff
- 1963–1974 Member of ship design team at Harland & Wolff
- 1974–1978 Managing Director of Austin & Pickersgill
- 1978–1983 Deputy Chief Executive of board of the British Shipbuilders Corporation
- 1983–1993 Chairman and Chief Executive of Harland and Wolff
- 1983–1986 Non-Executive Director of Industrial Development Board of Northern Ireland
- 1983–1986 Non-Executive Director of British Coal Corporation
- 1993–2002 Non-Executive Director of The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity
- 1993–2000 Chief Executive of Babcock International Group
- 1994–2000 Chairman and Chief Executive of Babcock International
- 1997–2000 Non-Executive Director of British Gas
- 1999–2003 Chairman of Firth Rixson Limited
- 2000–2003 Non-executive director and subsequently deputy chairman of P&O Princess Cruises plc
- 2000–2002 Chairman of Lattice Group
- 2000–present Director of Carnival plc
- 2001–2003 Non-Executive Director of Brambles Industries plc
- 2002–2005 Chairman of RMC Group
- 2002–2011 Chairman of National Grid plc
- 2003–present Non-Executive Director of Carnival Corporation
- 2005–2006 Chairman of P&O
- 2006–2011 Chancellor of the University of Southampton
- 2007–2015 Director and vice-chairman of DP World
- 2007–2018 Non-executive director of Airbus Group
- 2008 Non-executive chairman of BVT Surface Fleet
- 2009–2017 Chairman of Anglo American plc
- 2011–2018 Non-executive chairman of Ombu Group
- 2011–2014 President of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- 2011–2014 Member of the Prime Minister's Committee of Science & Technology
- 2015–present chairman of Pennon Group
- 2017–present chairman of Laing O'Rourke
- 2017–present lead non-executive director at the Cabinet Office
He was knighted for services to defence and shipbuilding in 2001. He was the Chancellor of the University of Southampton from 2006 to 2011, as well as being a governor of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. Other appointments have included membership of the Prime Minister's Business Council for Britain and non-executive director at the Bank of England. He was President of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects from 1996 to 1999. In 2012, he was made a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire (GBE), for services to Industry and to the voluntary sector. He was conferred with Honorary Fellowship of the Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland (HonFIES) in 2012. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng) in 1983. He was elected as an Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (HonFIET) in 2014.
- "Government job for Laing O'Rourke chairman". Retrieved 16 September 2020.
- "List of Fellows".
- "From Harland and Wolff apprentice to Anglo American director: Sir John Parker's recipe for success" – via www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk.
- "Vice President – Sir John Parker". The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity. 6 January 2016. Archived from the original on 27 August 2018 – via Internet Archive.
- "P&O Princess Cruises plc". Archived from the original on 30 November 2016. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "Biography: Sir John Parker". Carnival Corporation. Archived from the original on 5 July 2017 – via Internet Archive.
- Pagano, Margareta (17 January 2010). "Sir John Parker: 'A man you want on your side, and not one to cross'". Independent.co.uk. Archived from the original on 13 June 2022. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "University of Southampton". Southampton.ac.uk. 13 July 2006. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- DP World Archived 22 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Airbus Group". Airbus Group. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "Ombu Group". Ombu Group. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "THE LONDON GAZETTE SATURDAY 30 DECEMBER 2000 SUPPLEMENT No. 1". london-gazette.co.uk.
- "Profile: Sir John Parker, National Grid chairman". London: The Telegraph. 20 February 2008. Archived from the original on 5 May 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- Stiff, Peter (25 August 2008). "Business big shot: Sir John Parker, Chairman of National Grid". The Times. London. Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- "CBI president to be next Chancellor of the University of Southampton". University of Southampton. 12 April 2011. Archived from the original on 18 September 2012. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Business Council for Britain". UK Government. Archived from the original on 9 January 2009. Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- "Bank of England – The Court of Directors". Bank of England. Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- THE LONDON GAZETTE SATURDAY 16 JUNE 2012 SUPPLEMENT No. 1 Archived 25 May 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2012" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 October 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2020.
- "Honorary Fellows". IES. Retrieved 15 May 2022.
- "Honorary Fellows". The Institution of Engineering and Technology. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- Autobiography: Parker, Sir John: The View from the Bridge, Endeavour Quill (2018); ISBN 978-1-91144-579-1
- Anglo American Chairman Profile
- Ombu Group Chairman Profile
- DP World Vice Chairman Profile
- EADS Director Profile
- Carnival Corporation & plc Director Profile
- Royal Academy of Engineering President Profile
- University of Oxford Visiting Fellow Profile
- Defence Academy
- Sir John Parker: how to engineer Britain's industrial revival, The Guardian, 4 June 2012
- Sir John Parker: tough man from the farm, FT.com, 21 April 2011
- Sir John Parker holds the key to tackling Anglo American's weakness, The Guardian, 15 October 2009
- Profile: Sir John Parker, National Grid chairman, The Telegraph, 18 February 2008