Sir John St Aubyn, 5th Baronet
Sir John St Aubyn, 5th Baronet (17 May 1758 – 10 August 1839), was a British Member of Parliament, High Sheriff of Cornwall and Grand Master of the Freemasons. Born in London, he succeeded to the baronetcy on 12 October 1772, at which point he inherited Clowance, the family's estate near Crowan, Cornwall.
John St Aubyn was born on 17 May 1758 at Golden Square, London. His parents were Sir John St Aubyn, 4th Baronet, who was a Member of Parliament and his wife, Elizabeth. St Aubyn's sister was Catherine St Aubyn, who was an amateur artist. He attended Westminster School between 1773 and 1777. St Aubyn then spent three years in France where he had a relationship with an Italian woman and had a daughter.
St Aubyn's father died on 12 October 1772, at which point St Aubyn succeeded to the baronetcy, inheriting Clowance, the family estate near Crowan, Cornwall. He was High Sheriff of Cornwall for 1780 and was then Member of Parliament for Truro in 1784, for Penryn from 1784 to 1790 and for Helston from 1807 to 1812. St Aubyn was also a well known fossil collector who in addition to his own collection purchased the large collection possessed by Richard Greene, surgeon of Lichfield, d. 1793. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1797.
The baronetcy became extinct on his death in August 1839, aged 81. His estate passed to his illegitimate son, James and his illegitimate son Edward was created a baronet in his own right in 1866 and was the ancestor of the Barons St Levan. He is buried at Crowan in Cornwall with a monument carved by William Behnes.
- "St Aubyn, Sir John, fifth baronet (1758–1839)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/24481. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Baird, Olga. "Richard Greene's Museum". Retrieved 2 November 2009.
- "Library and Archive Catalogue". Royal Society. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- Gunnis, Rupert (196u). Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1660-1851 (New rev. ed.). London: Abbey Library. ISBN 9780685279342.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir John St Aubyn
- Geological Society "Geoscientist magazine" - article about Sir John St Aubyn
|Parliament of Great Britain|
John Pollexfen Bastard
|Member of Parliament for Truro
With: Bamber Gascoyne
William Augustus Spencer Boscawen
Sir Francis Basset
|Member of Parliament for Penryn
With: Sir Francis Basset
Sir Francis Basset
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
John Du Ponthieu
|Member of Parliament for Helston
With: Richard Richards 1807
The Lord Dufferin and Claneboye 1807–1812
|Baronetage of England|
John St Aubyn