Sir Robert Bateson, 1st Baronet
He was the only son of Thomas Bateson and his wife Elizabeth, youngest daughter of George Lloyd.
On 18 December 1818, he was created a Baronet, of Belvoir Park, in the County of Down.  Bateson entered the British House of Commons in 1830, sitting for Londonderry until 1842, when he was succeeded in the constituency by his eldest son Robert. He was a magistrate in County Down and represented it as a Deputy Lieutenant. On the 27 February 1857, the 4th Marquess of Londonderry conferred on him the honour to lay the foundation stone of the Londonderry Monument, better known today as the Scrabo Tower.
He married Catherine, the youngest daughter of Samuel Dickinson on 27 April 1811, and had by her two daughters and four sons. In 1863, Bateson died aged 81 at his seat Belvoir Park and his son Robert having predeceased him at Jerusalem twenty years before, he was succeeded in the baronetcy by his second son Thomas, later raised to the Peerage of the United Kingdom as Baron Deramore. Bateson's youngest son George was per a special remainder heir to his brother's barony.
- "Leigh Rayment - Baronetage". Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- Walford, Edward (1860). The County Families of the United Kingdom. London: Robert Hardwicke. p. 37.
- "No. 17404". The London Gazette. 3 October 1818. p. 1767.
- Burke, Bernard (1869). A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire (31st ed.). London: Harrison. p. 73.
- "Leigh Rayment - British House of Commons, Londonderry". Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- Dod, Robert P. (1855). The Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage of Great Britain and Ireland. London: Whitaker and Co. p. 107.
- "Memorial To The Late Marquis Of Londonderry". The Illustrated London News (March 28 1857). p. 300.
- "ThePeerage - Sir Robert Bateson, 1st Bt". Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- Sylvanus, Urban (1863). The Gentleman's Magazine. part I. London: John Henry and James Parker. pp. 804–805.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1916). Vicary Gibbs and H. Arthur Doubleday (ed.). The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom. vol. IV. London: St Catherine Press. p. 188.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Robert Bateson
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
George Robert Dawson
Alexander Robert Stewart
| Member of Parliament for Londonderry
1830 – 1842
With: Theobald Jones
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baronet
(of Belvoir Park)
1818 – 1863