Sir William Acland, 2nd Baronet
Sir William Acland, 2nd Bt
An early colour photo taken in 1903 by his sister
|Born||18 December 1847|
|Died||26 November 1924(aged 76)|
|Commands held||Channel Squadron;|
Admiral Superintendent of the Gibraltar Dockyard
|Spouse(s)||Emily Anna Smith|
Acland rose to the rank of admiral in the Royal Navy. He was appointed second in command of the Channel Squadron from early June 1901, and hoisted his flag on board the pre-dreadnought battleship HMS Magnificent on 5 June 1901. After a year he was relieved of the command in the Channel Squadron, and struck his flag on the Magnificent on 5 June 1902. Four months later, he was appointed Admiral Superintendent of the Gibraltar Dockyard, and was received in audience by King Edward VII on 21 October 1902, before taking up the position later the same month.
He was a Deputy Lieutenant of Devon, and a Justice of the Peace for Oxfordshire and Devon. He lived at his official residence The Mount whilst he held the office of Admiral Superintendent of the Gibraltar Dockyard from 1902 to 1904.
William Acland married Hon. Emily Anna Smith, daughter of the Rt. Hon. William Henry Smith and Emily Danvers, Viscountess Hambleden, on 7 July 1887, and had the following children:
Acland succeeded his father as 2nd Baronet Acland, of St Mary Magdalen, Oxford on the latter's death on 16 October 1900. On his death in 1924, he was succeeded in the baronetcy by his eldest son.
- "ACLAND, Admiral Sir William Alison Dyke", Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2007; online edn, Oxford University Press, December 2007.
- "Naval & Military intelligence". The Times (36455). London. 15 May 1901. p. 10.
- "Naval & Military intelligence". The Times (36474). London. 6 June 1901. p. 11.
- "Naval & Military intelligence". The Times (36787). London. 6 June 1902. p. 11.
- "Naval appointments". The Times (36842). London. 9 August 1902. p. 10.
- "Court Circular". The Times (36905). London. 22 October 1902. p. 8.
- The Dreadnought Project article
|| Admiral-Superintendent of HM Dockyard, Gibraltar
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
| Baronet Acland
(of St Mary Magdalen, Oxford)