Siri (given name)
Siri is a Scandinavian female given name. It is a short form of Sigrid, of Old Norse origin, and literally meaning "beautiful victory", from Old Norse sigr (victory) and Old Norse fríðr (beautiful). The name Siri has been widely used since the Middle Ages, and is a common name in Norway, Sweden and the Faroe Islands. It is also the name of Apple's virtual assistant. It was common in Norway until the 18th century, when its usage declined, but saw new high popularity in the 20th century. In Sweden the name gained new popularity around 1900, and has again become increasingly popular in the last years. The Faroese spelling of the name is Sirið; the ð is not pronounced. The other spelling without ð is also common. To a lesser extent it is also used in Denmark.
Siri is also a Indian female given name. It is a Kannada & Telugu language word, meaning wealth or fortune. It is a popular given name in Karnataka, Andhra pradesh and Telangana states of south-central India.
- Siri Bjerke, Norwegian cabinet minister
- Siri Broch Johansen, Norwegian author
- Siri Dokken, Norwegian artist
- Siri von Essen, Swedish actress and wife of August Strindberg.
- Siri Hustvedt, American author
- Siri Lindley, American triathlete and coach
- Siri Nilsen (born 1985), Norwegian singer, songwriter, musician, and voice actress
- Siri, American adult actress
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|