Sirius Academy West
|Established||1895 as The Boulevard
1940 as Kingston High School
2001 as Pickering High School
2009 as Sirius Academy
2015 as Sirius Academy West
|Principal||Dr Cathy Taylor|
|Location||296 Anlaby Park Road South
East Riding of Yorkshire
|DfE URN||135945 Tables|
Sirius Academy West (formerly Sirius Academy, Pickering High School, Kingston High School and The Boulevard) is a secondary school in Hull, England. It was renamed Sirius Academy in September 2009 under Building Schools for the Future, with Sports College specialist status.
The last headteacher of Pickering High School was Elaine Wadsworth, who was replaced by a principal, Cathy Taylor, when the school became an Academy.
In September 2011 the school moved into a new £48.5 million building which replaced an older one, bringing the school within one site, with a new sports hall to support sports college status.
After becoming an academy the school was originally known as Sirius Academy. However in 2015 Thomas Ferens Academy joined the Sirius Academy Multi Academy Trust and was renamed Sirius Academy North. Sirius Academy was renamed Sirius Academy West to distinguish the two institutions.
School facilities include an all-weather pitch, sports' hall, sports' lab, hair and beauty salon, industrial quality food technology rooms, dance studio, construction bays, and an eco-dome.
- Very good leadership and management by the headteacher and managerial teaching staff
- Good teaching in lessons resulting in good learning and positive relationships
- Provisions made for Special education needs (SEN) pupils
- Systems for monitoring pupil progression
Improvements were suggested in:
- Teaching, particularly in mathematics
- The greater use of ICT to assist learning
- Attendance and punctuality
- The modernising of teaching and recreational areas to improve learning and safety
In March 2014 an Ofsted inspection rated the school as Outstanding in all areas.
Kingston High School
- This is Hull and East Riding (25 February 2009). "Principal's U-turn over academy role". Hull Daily Mail. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "Sirius Academy Open For Business". Pickering Ward Liberal Democrats. 8 September 2011. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- "Amy Johnson pioneering aviator" (PDF). Hull Local Studies Library, Hull City Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 March 2009. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- "Alderton, John". Who's Who 2008. A&C Black. 2008. ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8.
Education: Kingston High Sch., Hull
- Coveney, Michael (25 June 2010). "Alan Plater obituary". The Guardian. London. Archived from the original on 30 June 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- A Hull School in Wartime: Kingston High School's Evacuation to Scarborough (paperback) by John D. Hicks ISBN 0-948929-29-4
- Bob Rosner (2005) One of the Lucky Ones: rescued by the Kindertransport.Beth Shalom, Newark (England) ISBN 0-9543001-9-X.