|Birth name||Sirkazhi Govindarajan|
|Born||19 January 1933|
Sirkazhi, Madras Presidency, British India
|Died||24 March 1988 (aged 55)|
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
|Genres||Film music (playback singing), Indian classical music|
Sirkazhi Govindarajan (19 January 1933 – 24 March 1988) was a leading vocalist in Carnatic Music and a leading playback singer of indian cinema.
Govindarajan, was born at Sirkali, a small town in Madras Presidency (Present day Tamil Nadu) to Siva Chidambaram and Avayambal Ammal. Sirkazhi was the birthplace of Thirugnanasambandar, one of the Samaya Naalvar and the 63 Nayanmar of the Saiva faith. It was little wonder that he became a child prodigy performing at the Tirupurasundari Temple at the age of eight on the occasion of the Gnana Paal Festival. His son Sirkazhi G. Sivachidambaram is also a Carnatic singer.
He graduated from the Tamil Isai College in Chennai(Madras) in 1949 with the Degree 'Isaimani'. He also graduated with the Degree of 'Sangeetha Vidwan'. At the same time, he started rigorous training (Gurukulavasam) under his Guru Sri. Thiruppampuram Swaminatha Pillai, who was then a Professor at the Central College of Carnatic Music, Madras. Under his tutelage and in-depth study, he gained knowledge of the nuances and intricacies of Indian Music, especially, Classical Carnatic Music. During this period, 1951–1952, he won many competitions, conducted by the Sangeetha Vidwat Sabha (Music Academy) and the Rasika Ranjani Sabha. He was the proud recipient of three Gold Medals(First place) in the austere and hallowed halls of Sangeetha Vidwat Sabha (Music Academy) from Karaikudi Sambasiva Iyer. "Sangeetha Vidwan" Sirkali won all first places in the three categories: Apoorva Krithis of Sri Thyagaraja swamigal, Ragam-Thalam-Pallavi, and Tamil Classical Songs.
He was conferred the Padma Shri award by the Government of India. The Central College of Carnatic Music was the next institution for his musical enrichment.
Govindarajan had also done playback singing in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam films. Madras University conferred a doctorate (Honoris Causa) on him in 1983. He died of a massive heart attack in 1988, aged just 55.
He had sung for many leading actors of tamil cinemas like M.G.R,SSR,GEMINI GANESAN N.T.RAMA.RAO,MUTHURAMAN.ETC
S. V. Venkataraman, S. M. Subbaiah Naidu, S. Rajeswara Rao, S. Dakshinamurthi, V. Dakshinamoorthy, G. Ramanathan, C. N. Pandurangam, Master Venu, K. V. Mahadevan, Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan, B. Narasimma Rao, A. Rama Rao, T. Chalapathi Rao, T. G. Lingappa, P. Adinarayana Rao, T. R. Pappa, Ghantasala, Vedha, G. K. Venkatesh, M. S. Viswanathan, T. K. Ramamoorthy, V. Kumar, A. M. Rajah, C. Ramachandra, Ilaiyaraaja, and Shankar Ganesh, Baburaj
He also sang duets with many female singer such as M. L. Vasanthakumari, P. Leela, K. Jamuna Rani, Jikki, P. Suseela, K. Rani, L. R. Eswari, L. R. Anjali, Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi, Soolamangalam Jayalakshmi, R. Balasaraswathi Devi, N. L. Ganasaraswathi, A. P. Komala, A. G. Rathinmala, T. V. Rathinam, Bangalore Ramani Ammal, Vani Jayaram, S. Janaki, M. R. Vijaya, Sarala and Rohini.
Awards and Honors
• ISAI MANI: 1949-Degree from Tamil Isai College, Madras
• SANGEETHA VIDWAN: 1951-Degree from Central College of Carnatic Music, Madras
• ISAI ARASU: 1968-Kunrakudi Adheenam, Kunrakudi kumari'
• ISAI KADAL: 1972-Bharathi Youth Association, Madras
• INNISAI ARASU: 1974-Tamil Nadu Nalvazhi Nilayam, Madras
• DHARUMAPURA ADHEENA ISAI PULAVAR: 1974-Adheena Vidwan of Dharumapura Adheenam appointed by Sri Guru Maha Sannidhaanam
• KALAI MAMANI: 1975-TamilNadu Iyal Isai Nataka Manram (State Sangeetha Nataka Academy Award)
• INNISAI VENDHAN: 1976-Kandan Arts Academy, Madras
• SANGEETHA BHASKARA: 1977-Sri Shantananda Swami, Sri Bhuvaneswari Adhishtanam, Pudukkottai
• ISAI THILAKAM: 1977-Sri Thyagaraja Sangeetha Sabha
• ISAI GNANA BHOOPATHI: 1978-Brittania Hindu Shiva Temple Trust, London
• EZHISAI VENDHAR AND GANAMRITHA VARITHI: 1978-During SriLanka tours
• PERISAIMANI: 1979-Sangeetha Abhivrithi Sabha, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
• IRAI ISAI VENDHAI: 1979-Seshasayee Paper Mill Temple, Erode
• MIYAN TANSEN AWARD: 1980-Delhi Drupad Sangam, New Delhi
• CENTRAL SANGEET NATAK AKADEMI AWARD: 1980
• TAMIL ISAI MANNAR: 1981-New York Tamil Sangam, New York
• GANDHARVA GEETHA VITHAKAR: 1981-Ramalingar Pani Manram, Paris, France
• DI SINGENDEN HERSEN VON INDIEN: 1981-Yoga Center(Germans), Dusseldorf, West Germany
• TAMILNADU ARASAVAI KALAIGNAR: 1981-At the Bharathiyar Centenary Celebrations
• ISAI PERARIGNAR: 1982-Annual music festival honor from Tamil Isai Sangam, Madras
• PADMASHRI: 1983
• ISAI THENDRAL: 1984-Thyagaraja Swami Aradhana Committee, Tirutani
• INNISAIMANI: 1985-Guru Gnana Sambandar Iraipani Manram
• GAMBEERA GANA ISAI VENDHAN: 1985-Arya Vaisya Schools, Madurai
• ARUL ISAI ARIGNAR: 1987-Mauritius Education and Cultural Tour
• TAMIL ISAIPERARIGNAR: 1987-Tamil Sangam, Bangalore
• MUTHAMIZH KALAI MAMANI: 1987-Tamil Sangam, Salem
• ISAIMAMANNAR: 1987-Bharathidasan Centenary celebrations by Dravidar Kazhagam, Madras
• ISAIPERARUVI: 1987-Siddhi Vinayakar Temple, Paris, France
• CULTURAL AMBASSADOR: 1987-Frei Platz Axion-World Peace Conference in Switzerland
|1969||Vaa Raja Vaa||Police Officer|
|1970||Thirumalai Thenkumari||Bhagavathar shivachidambaram|
|1973||Rajaraja Cholan||Nambiyandar Nambi|
|1982||Thaai Mookaambikai||Cameo Appearance|