|Born||29 July 1936|
Aathupollachi, Coimbatore district, Tamilnadu
Balasubramaniam was born in Aaththupollachi village in Coimbatore District. He obtained his MA from Annamalai University and PhD from Madras University. He worked as a lecturer in NGM college, Pollachi. He then became a Professor at the Tamil department of Bharathiar University. He eventually became the head of the Department. He was a founding member of the Vanambadi literary movement in the 1970s. He edited the movement's flagship journal of the same name and also another literary magazine called Annam vidu thoothu. He has published more than a dozen works of poetry and literary criticism in his literary career. In 2003, he was awarded the Sahitya Akademi Award for Tamil for his poetry collection Oru Giraamattu Nadhi (lit. River in a Hamlet ). He had earlier won the Sahitya Akademi's award for translators in 2001 for his translation of Lalithambika Antharjanam's Agnisakshi into Tamil. He is the current convener of the Akademi's Tamil advisory board.
Awards and recognitions
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Bharathidasan award (1987)
- Government of Tamil Nadu award
- Tamil University award
- Sahitya Akademi Award for translation (2001)
- Sahitya Akademi Award for Tamil (2003)
- Rajah Sir Muthiah Chettiar Birthday Commemoration Award (2006)
- Lifetime Literature Achievement Award - (Puthiyathalaimurai Tamilan Awards 2018)
- Nilakokru (1963)
- Siritha muthukkal (1968)
- Sarapa Yagam (1976)
- Mounamayakkangal (1982)
- Sooriya nizhal (1990)
- Irahu (1996)
- Margazhip paavai (2010)
- Poojayangalin Sangili
- Bharathi Kaithi En 203
- Ilakkiya chinthanai (1989)
- A Comparative study of Bharathi and Vallathol
- Sirpiyin katturaikal (1996)
- Ramalinga vallalirin arutpa thirattu (2001)
- Tamil Sahitya Akademi Awards 1955-2007 Archived 2010-01-24 at the Wayback Machine Sahitya Akademi Official website.
- Dutt, Kartik Chandra (1999). Who's who of Indian Writers, 1999: A-M. Sahitya Akademi. p. 92. ISBN 978-81-260-0873-5.
- "Award for Sirpi Balasubramaniam". The Hindu. 2 August 2006. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- "Award for Sirpi Balasubramaniam". The Hindu. 6 August 2006. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- "Sangam classics". The Hindu. 26 January 2010. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- "Bharathi's works being translated into English". The Hindu. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- "Treading Bharati's path". The Hindu. 26 May 2003. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- "the chain of absolutes". Retrieved 20 April 2017.
8)Translating the pains of Endosulfan Victims B.Meenakshi Sundaram http://epaper.newindianexpress.com/c/2035204
9)Lifetime Literature Achievement Award(Puthiyathalaimurai Tamilan Awards 2018) - http://www.puthiyathalaimurai.com/news/special-news/50385-puthiyathalaimurai-tamilan-awards-2018.html