Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest
Adoratrices Cordis Regalis Jesu Christi Summi Sacerdotis
|Type||Catholic religious order|
The Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest (Latin: Adoratrices Cordis Regalis Jesu Christi Summi Sacerdotis) are a Roman Catholic society of apostolic life of pontifical right in communion with the Holy See of the Catholic Church. The society for women is associated with the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest.
Foundation and growth
The society was founded in January 2001[a] as the female branch of the Institute of Christ the King, a traditionalist Catholic priestly institute celebrating the Traditional Latin Mass. Cardinal Ennio Antonelli, at that time the Archbishop of Florence, bestowed the religious habit upon the first three sisters in June 2004. One sister and three postulants were received the following year. The community numbered nine sisters and four postulants in 2007 and 13 sisters and one postulant in 2009. In 2017 the sisters numbered 42. In 2008 on the feast day of Our Lady of the Rosary (7 October) the community received the status of pontifical right from Pope Benedict XVI.
The community's mother house is situated in Gricigliano, part of the Metropolitan City of Florence, Italy, which is also the location of the seminary of the Institute of Christ the King, who serve the community offering Mass and other sacraments. Since the Sisters first moved into the building they have undertaken extensive works of renovation.
In December 2013 the Sisters bought the German monastery Maria Engelport, a Marian shrine and a local pilgrimage site in Rhineland-Palatinate, until then inhabited by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The community established itself on site on January 1, 2014. As of August 2014, 14 sisters lived in the monastery.
Since 2017 the Sisters are also present in Preston, England. In 2019 a novitiate was opened in Naples. On May 19, 2019 the Institute of Christ the King announced that the community will establish its first house in the United States, in Wausau, Wisconsin. Autumn was mentioned as the approximate time of the foundation. The purchase of a former bed and breakfast, which will serve as the convent, was finalized on May 30. The property was blessed by Bishop William P. Callahan on November 1 of that year, and given the name 'The Nativity of Our Lady'.
The way of life of the Sisters is that of a non-cloistered contemplative. They have as the community's three patron saints St. Francis de Sales, St. Benedict and St. Thomas Aquinas. The community participates in Mass and the Divine Office using the Traditional Latin Rite. Their daily schedule includes classes on Gregorian chant, Latin, philosophy and theology. They are also involved in manual labor such as sewing, lace-making or caring for liturgical vestments.
- "Sisters". Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Accueil". Adoratrices ICRSP. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "The Beautiful Sisters of Kloster Engelport". Regina Magazine. 2017. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Volles Haus beim "Tag der offenen Tür"". Blick aktuell (in German). 2014-08-20. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "New community of traditionalist Sisters to be established in Preston". Catholic Herald. 2017-10-06. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Päpstliche Bestätigung für zwei altritualistische Orden". ORDEN online (in German). 2008-10-10. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Die Anbetungsschwestern". Kloster Maria Engelport. Retrieved 2019-04-05.
- "Vocations at the Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart". Institute of Christ the King. 2005-10-31. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Introducing the Sacred Heart Society". Institute of Christ the King. 2017-05-08. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Pontifical Right for Institute and Our Sisters". Institute of Christ the King. 2008-10-07. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Nos Maisons". Adoratrices ICRSP. Retrieved 2019-04-05.
- Willemin, Nicolas (2011-05-12). "Des sœurs se sont installées aux Côtes" (PDF). L’Impartial (in French). Retrieved 2019-05-13.
- "Les adoratrices du Coeur Royal à Preston". Riposte catholique (in French). 2017-11-22. Retrieved 2019-05-05.
- "Installation officielle de notre Noviciat à Naples". Adoratrices ICRSP. Retrieved 2019-04-21.
- "Announcement: Sisters Adorers First House in the USA". Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. 2019-05-19. Retrieved 2019-05-20.
- Stringer, Megan (2019-05-21). "Historic Everest Inn bed and breakfast to become Catholic convent this fall". Wausau Daily Herald. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- Peckham, Pat (2019-05-30). "Holy purchase". City pages. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "Blessing of the Nativity of Our Lady Convent in Wausau, Wisconsin". Institute of Christ the King. 2019-11-08.
- Adoratrices du Cœur Royal de Jésus-Christ Souverain Prêtre – Official website of the order (in French)
- Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus
- Kloster Maria Engelport – Official website of the Maria Engelport Convent (in German)
- Fondation de nos sœurs en Suisse – Official website of the community's foundation in Le Noirmont, Switzerland (in French)