Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015)|
|"Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves"|
Four different single covers
|Single by Eurythmics and Aretha Franklin|
|from the album Be Yourself Tonight and Who's Zoomin' Who?|
|Format||7" single, 12" single, cassette single|
United Sound  
|Genre||Pop rock, soul|
|Length||5:52 (album version)
4:29 (single version)
|Writer(s)||Annie Lennox & Dave Stewart|
|Producer(s)||David A. Stewart|
|Eurythmics singles chronology|
"Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves" is a 1985 song recorded as a duet by the British pop duo Eurythmics and American soul/R&B singer Aretha Franklin. It was released as a single by RCA Records in October 1985, and was featured on both Eurythmics' Be Yourself Tonight and Franklin's Who's Zoomin' Who? albums.
"Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves" is considered to be a modern feminist anthem and was written by Eurythmics' Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart. They had originally intended to duet with Tina Turner, who was unavailable at the time and so the duo approached Aretha Franklin instead.
This music video was taped at Detroit's Music Hall. The video is interspersed with clips from old black and white films, including 1962's A Kind of Loving. The video uses the single version of the song, as opposed to the album version.
- A: "Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves" (7" Version) - 4:35
- B: "I Love You Like A Ball And Chain" (LP Version) - 4:08
- A1: "Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves" (LP Version) - 5:54
- B1: "Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves" (ET Mix) - 7:53
- B2: "I Love You Like A Ball And Chain" (LP Version) - 4:08
- The song was performed by the cartoon character Lisa Simpson (as sung by actress Yeardley Smith) along with the Wilson sisters and Lisa's aunts Patty and Selma Bouvier on The Yellow Album released in 1998.
- In 2005, The Pointer Sisters recorded a cover version of the song with Belgian singer Natalia. The single was released only in Belgium in October 2005 and reached number two on the Belgian singles chart.
- Dutch singer Raffaëla Paton, winner of the 3rd season of the reality series Idols Netherlands, recorded a cover of the song with Idols runner-up Floortje Smit. Their rendition was included on Paton's 2006 debut album Raffaëla.
- Hazell Dean recorded a cover version of this song with American Diva Marina in 1998 on MRK Records.
Live cover performances
- In 1986 prior to her music career, Kylie Minogue and sister Dannii performed a live cover version of the song on Australian TV Show Young Talent Time.
- In 1998 the Spice Girls performed a live cover version of the song on their Spiceworld Tour, as a duet between Mel C (Sporty Spice) and Mel B (Scary Spice). They also performed it on TFI Friday.
- In 2011 Christina Aguilera, Martina McBride, Florence Welch, Jennifer Hudson & Yolanda Adams covered this song at 53rd Grammy Awards.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||15|
|Belgian Singles Chart||17|
|Canadian Singles Chart||33|
|Dutch Singles Chart||17|
|German Singles Chart||22|
|Irish Singles Chart||5|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||6|
|Polish Singles Chart||29|
|Swiss Singles Chart||20|
|UK Singles Chart||9|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||18|
|U.S. Billboard Dance/Club Play Songs Chart||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales Chart||36|
- United Sound Systems » Museum » Detroit's Musical History
- SoulfulDetroit - United Sound Systems - Great Soul Music Recording Studios of Detroit
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives: Australian Chart Book. p. 105. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. N.B. The Kent Report chart was licensed by ARIA between 1983 and 19 June 1988.
- "Results - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Steffen Hung. "Eurythmics and Aretha Franklin - Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Jaclyn Ward - Fireball Media Group - http://www.fireballmedia.ie. "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Steffen Hung. "Eurythmics and Aretha Franklin - Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Steffen Hung. "Eurythmics and Aretha Franklin - Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "ChartArchive - Eurythmics And Aretha Franklin - Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves". Chartstats.com. 1986-01-25. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Eurythmics. "Eurythmics - Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-23.