Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth
- Not to be confused with the Sisters of Nazareth from Israel with convents in Nazareth and Shefa-Amr, nor with the larger Sisters of Nazareth organisation
The Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth are a Roman Catholic religious institute that was founded in Rome in 1875 by Blessed Mary of Jesus the Good Shepherd (Franciszka Siedliska). The Sisters of the Holy Family are an apostolic, international congregation, located on four continents and in thirteen countries. There are five provinces in the United States. A Sister of this congregation is identified by the initials CSFN (Latin for "Congregatio Sacrae Familiae de Nazareth"; English translation: "Congregation of the Holy Family of Nazareth") after her name.
The Congregation of the Holy Family of Nazareth was founded in Rome, Italy in 1875 by Frances Siedliska, a Polish noblewoman. From Rome, the Congregation spread quickly.
In 1885, Mother Mary of Jesus the Good Shepherd and eleven sisters journeyed to Chicago, Illinois, where they had been invited to minister to the needs of Polish immigrant children and families. There they staffed two schools and an orphanage. The Congregation soon expanded its services in the Midwest. They continue to serve throughout Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Texas, Michigan and Ohio.
The sisters opened their first hospital in Poland in Wadowice in 1897.
The sisters have served in schools, and in child care services, care of the elderly, retreat work, and in parish, prison and youth ministry.
Sisters continue to be engaged in various areas of healthcare and presently minister as hospital chaplains, nurses, therapists, and lab technicians, attending to the sick, the elderly and the infirm.
|Provinces of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth|
|United States||Des Plaines, Illinois||Holy Family Province|
|Australia||Garran, Australian Capital Territory||Holy Spirit Province|
|Poland||Warsaw, Poland||Holy Name of Jesus Province|
|Poland||Kraków, Poland||Holy Name of Mary Province|
As of 2015, there are over 1,300 members in Australia, Belarus, England, France, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, the Philippines, Poland, Puerto Rico, Russia, Spain, Ukraine, and the United States of America.
Beatified members of the Sisters of the Holy Family include Sister Stella and her companions, who were martyred on 1 August 1943 in Nowogródek, Poland (now Belarus), and who were beatified on 5 March 2000, as well as the foundress, Frances Siedliska, beatified on 23 April 1989. Her feast day is 21 November.
- "Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth". Blessed Frances Siedliska Province. Archived from the original on 2007-06-07. Retrieved 2007-09-29.
- "History", Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, USA
- "CSFN - Welcome", Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth - Generalate
- "Where Are We?". Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. 2001-10-20. Archived from the original on 2007-08-21. Retrieved 2007-09-29.
- "Sister Stella and Companions". Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. 2000-05-24. Archived from the original on 2007-08-21. Retrieved 2007-09-29.
- "Mother Foundress". Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. 2000-05-24. Archived from the original on 2007-08-20. Retrieved 2007-09-29.