|Sitagliptin||Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor|
|Trade names||Janumet, Januet, other|
|AHFS/Drugs.com||FDA Professional Drug Information|
Sitagliptin/metformin, sold under the brand name Janumet among others, is a combination medication used to treat type 2 diabetes. It may be used in those whose blood sugar is not controlled with metformin and a sulfonylurea. It is taken by mouth.
Common side effects include diarrhea, headache, and upper respiratory tract infections. Serious side effects may include lactic acidosis, pancreatitis, low blood sugar, heart failure, joint pain, and allergic reactions. It has not been properly studied in people who are pregnant or breastfeeding. It contains sitagliptin (a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor) and metformin (a biguanide).
The combination was approved for medical use in the United States in 2007. A month supply in the United Kingdom costs the NHS about 33.26 £ as of 2019. In the United States the wholesale cost of this amount is about 433 USD. In 2016 it was the 191st most prescribed medication in the United States with more than 3 million prescriptions.
Society and culture
As of 2018 the combination was marketed under several brand names, including Efficib, Janmet, Januet, Janumet, Jznumet, Ristaben Met, Ristfor, Siglimet, Sitamet, Sitar-M, Sliptin-M, Treviamet, and Velmetia.
A month supply in the United Kingdom costs the NHS about 33.26 £ as of 2019. In the United States the wholesale cost of this amount is about 433 USD. In Denmark 100 tablets (each 1,000 mg) cost over the counter in a pharmacy DKK 62.60 = US$ 9.40 = £7.50, thus a month supply in Denmark costs DKK 37.50 = US$ 5.70 = £ 4.50. The pharmacy buys wholesale at DKK 33.83 = US$ 5.11 = £4.10.
- British national formulary : BNF 76 (76 ed.). Pharmaceutical Press. 2018. p. 682. ISBN 9780857113382.
- Hayes, J; Anderson, R; Stephens, JW (2016). "Sitagliptin/metformin fixed-dose combination in type 2 diabetes mellitus: an evidence-based review of its place in therapy". Drug Design, Development and Therapy. 10: 2263–70. doi:10.2147/DDDT.S93076. PMC 4958358. PMID 27486305.
- "Janumet - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses". Drugs.com. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "Metformin / sitagliptin Use During Pregnancy". Drugs.com. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "NADAC as of 2019-02-27". Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- "The Top 300 of 2019". clincalc.com. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "International brands for Sitagliptin/metformin". Drugs.com. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "Medicinpriser". Medicinpriser (in Danish). Retrieved 17 June 2019.
|This drug article relating to the gastrointestinal system is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|