Sitarampur railway station
|Indian Railway Junction Station|
Sitarampur railway station nameplate
|Location||Sitarampur, Asansol, Paschim Bardhaman district, West Bengal|
|Elevation||99 metres (325 ft)|
|Line(s)||Howrah-Delhi Main Line|
|Railways in Asansol|
The Sitarampur, station code STN, is the railway station serving the neighbourhood of Neamatpur and Sitarampur in Asansol, Paschim Bardhaman district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Sitarampur Junction is part of the Asansol Division of the Eastern Railway Zone of the Indian Railway. Sitarampur Junction is connected to metropolitan areas of India, Delhi-Kolkata Main Line via Mugalsarai-Patna route as well as the Grand Chord route. It has an average elevation of 99 metres (325 ft).
"The entire belt between Durgapur (158 km from Howrah), and all the way up to Dhanbad and beyond is industrialized. Apart from factories, there are many coalmines, some closed now, and some with fires burning deep in the mineshafts. The mining area extends for a large area, mostly to the south of the tracks. Quite a portion of the track passes through cuttings, where the surrounding area is higher than the track level, resulting in the profusion of characteristic small masonry bridges crossing the tracks." This description is from "Gomoh loco shed and CLW trip record" by Samit Roychoudhury.
As movement of coal by trains increased considerably a new railway line, the Grand Chord, was laid from Sitarampur to Mughalsarai. At that time, Sitarampur boasted of the largest steam locomotive shed and the second largest coal moving yard in the country. Now the steam loco shed is gone as steam engines were phased out.
The major facilities available are waiting rooms, reservation counter,2 wheeler and 4 wheeler vehicle parking. The vehicles are allowed to enter the station premises. The station also has STD/ISD/PCO telephone booth, ATM counter, toilets, tea stall and book stall.
The platforms are connected by Foot Over Bridge.
- "History of Electrification". information published by CORE (Central Organization for Railway Electrification). CORE (Central Organization for Railway Electrification). Archived from the original on 25 December 2007. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- "Asansol Division Railway Map". Eastern Railway.
- "Adra Division Railway Map". South Eastern Railway.
- "No witness to nail train gangs". The Telegraph (Calcutta). 12 July 2010. Archived from the original on 12 September 2011. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- "Gomoh loco shed and CLW trip record". Indian Railway Reports. IRFCA). Missing or empty
- "Major passenger amenities available in stations over Asansol Division". Commercial Information. Official Website of the Eastern Railway. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sitarampur railway station.|