Site of Old Croton Dam
Site of Old Croton Dam
New Croton Reservoir, in whose waters the dam site is located
|Location||S of Yorktown Heights on NY 129, Yorktown, New York|
|Area||110 acres (45 ha)|
|Architect||John B. Jervis; Multiple|
|NRHP reference #|||
|Added to NRHP||June 19, 1973|
The Site of Old Croton Dam is a historic dam site located at Yorktown, Westchester County, New York. The dam was built between 1837 and 1842 and was the first substantial masonry dam in the United States. Construction of the dam was delayed by a January 1841 storm that washed away most of the dam.
A gravity dam constructed with a rubble core and granite ashlar foundation, it was 57 feet (17 m) high and 670 feet (200 m) long. The dam formed a reservoir several miles long, extending northeast along the path of the Croton River. Water flowed to New York City through the Old Croton Aqueduct, which starts just upstream of the dam and carries water down the Croton River valley toward the Hudson, and roughly follows the Hudson south. The dam and aqueduct constitute a major part of the original New York City water supply system. When the New Croton Dam was completed in 1906, the old dam was submerged, but the aqueduct continued to operate until 1955. When the reservoir created by the New Croton Dam is full, the old dam is submerged to 34 feet (10 m).
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Fyfe, Joan J. (Fall 2004). "Preserve the Past - Enlighten the Future" (PDF). Yorktown Historical Society. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Croton Water Supply System". ASCE Metropolitan Section. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- Tompkins, Christopher R. (2000). The Croton Dams and Aqueduct. Images of America. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing. p. 8. ISBN 0-7385-0455-6.
- "Cultural Resource Information System (CRIS)" (Searchable database). New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2016-08-01. Note: This includes Rennenkampf, Lenore M. (April 1973). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Site of Old Croton Dam" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-08-01. and Accompanying four photographs
- Lange, Robie S. (October 1991). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
|This article about a historic property or district in Westchester County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|