|Founded||2001 in Denmark|
|Steve Tzikakis, CEO (September 2020)|
Sitecore is a customer experience management company that provides web content management, and multichannel marketing automation software. The company was founded in 2001 in Denmark.
In 1998, in Copenhagen, Denmark, University of Copenhagen alumni Thomas Albert, Jakob Christensen, Peter Christensen, Ole Sas Thrane, and Michael Seifert founded Pentia A/S, a systems integration company that focused on implementing websites built on Microsoft technologies. At the time, building and managing websites required the expertise of a programmer or developer. Thrane and Christensen devised and patented a set of procedures for building and managing websites and turned their invention into a content management system product.
In 2001, Sitecore was spun off as a separate business entity that initially sold content management systems in the Danish market. However, the company has grown into a global provider of customer experience management software targeted primarily to corporate marketing departments and marketing service providers.
In July 2011, Sitecore acquired the development team and the intellectual property of Pectora, a provider of web publishing solutions[buzzword] for deep integration with print-based projects.
In November 2013, Sitecore acquired the assets of commerceserver.net from Smith (formerly Ascentium) and took responsibility and ownership for developing, marketing, and selling Sitecore Commerce Server, formerly a Microsoft product called Microsoft Commerce Server.
In July 2014, Sitecore acquired a majority stake in Komfo, a Danish social media marketing and community engagement application provider and introduced its social media marketing suite, Sitecore Social.
In October 2018, Sitecore announced acquisition of Stylelabs, a marketing technologies software vendor, and stated its intent to incorporate Stylelabs' digital asset management, marketing resource management and product information management applications into its Experience Cloud; the acquisition was completed in November 2018.
In June 2019, Sitecore acquired Hedgehog, a digital consultancy.
In March 2021, Sitecore acquired Boxever and Four51. Boxever is a SaaS-based Customer Data Platform (CDP) providing decisioning and experimentation. Four51 is a company delivering modern B2B and B2C experiences for enterprise brands.
In May 2021, Sitecore acquired Moosend. Moosend is a marketing automation platform.
In September 2021, Sitecore acquired Reflektion. Reflektion is an AI-powered digital search platform.
Michael Seifert was the company's CEO from its founding in 2001 until 2017. His method for collecting human experience analytics data was awarded US Patent 8,255,526 in August 2012.
- ^ US patent 7856345, Christensen, Jakob H. & Thrane, Ole S., "Method for building and managing a web site", issued 2010-12-21, assigned to Sitecore A/S
- ^ Quackenbush, J. (4 August 2014). "Sitecore Triples Size in Sausalito Move". North Bay Business Journal. Archived from the original on 9 August 2018. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- ^ "Sitecore Adds Print Media to Customer Engagement Platform via Acquisition". CMS Wire. 5 July 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- ^ "Sitecore Acquires Commerceserver.net to Extend .NET CXM Play". Gartner Inc. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- ^ "Social media marketing from Sitecore". KM World. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- ^ "Sitecore to Acquire Innovative Content Marketing Software Vendor Stylelabs" (Press release). San Francisco, Calif. and Brussels, Belgium: Sitecore. 9 October 2018. Archived from the original on 19 September 2019. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- ^ "Sitecore Completes Hedgehog Acquisition". www.sitecore.com. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- ^ "Sitecore Acquires Boxever and Four51". www.sitecore.com. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- ^ "Sitecore Completes Acquisition of Moosend". www.sitecore.com. Retrieved 26 May 2021.
- ^ "Sitecore Acquires AI-Powered Digital Search Platform Reflektion". www.sitecore.com. Retrieved 23 September 2021.
- ^ US patent 8255526, Christensen, Jakob H. & Seifert, Michael, "Method for collecting human experience analytics data", issued 2012-08-28, assigned to Sitecore A/S