|Founded||2001 in Denmark|
|Mark Frost, CEO|
|Products||Sitecore Experience Platform|
In 1998, in Copenhagen, Denmark, University of Copenhagen alumni Thomas Albert, Jakob Christensen, Peter Christensen, Ole Sas Thrane, and Michael Seifert founded Pentia A/S, a systems integration company that focused on implementing websites built on Microsoft technologies. At the time, building and managing websites required the expertise of a programmer or developer. Ole Sas Thrane and Jakob Christensen devised and patented a set of procedures for building and managing websites and turned their invention into a content management system product.
In 2001, Sitecore was spun off as a separate business entity that initially sold content management systems in the Danish market. However, the company has grown into a global provider of customer experience management software targeted primarily to corporate marketing departments and marketing service providers.
In July 2011, Sitecore acquired the development team and the intellectual property of Pectora, a provider of web publishing solutions for deep integration with print-based projects.
In November 2013, Sitecore acquired the assets of commerceserver.net from Smith (formerly Ascentium) and took responsibility and ownership for developing, marketing, and selling Commerce Server, a former Microsoft product.
In July 2014, Sitecore acquired a majority stake in Komfo, a Danish social media marketing and community engagement application provider and introduced its social media marketing suite, Sitecore Social.
In 2015, a portion of Sitecore's operations moved to Marina Plaza in Sausalito, California.
Michael Seifert was the company's CEO from its founding in 2001 until 2017. His method for collecting human experience analytics data was awarded US Patent 8,255,526 in August 2012. In 2017, Seifert was replaced by Mark Frost.
Sitecore Experience Platform is software for content management and contextual marketing.
The Sitecore platform offers numerous additional features including, Personalisation, Email Marketing, Machine Learning (Sitecore Cortex), Analytics and more. 
- "Pentia: About Us". Archived from the original on 8 September 2014. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Thrane and Christensen, United States Patent 7,856,345, Method for building and managing a web site, December 2010
- "Sitecore triples size in Sausalito move". North Bay Business Journal. 4 August 2014.
- "Sitecore Adds Print Media to Customer Engagement Platform via Acquisition". CMS Wire. 5 July 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Sitecore Acquires Commerceserver.net to Extend .NET CXM Play". Gartner Inc. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Social media marketing from Sitecore". KM World. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- Seifert and Christensen, United States Patent 8,255,526, "A method for collecting human experience analytics data", August 2012
- "Sitecore Technical Debt". sagittarius.agency. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- Lamont, Judith (February 2016). "Marketing automation's role in personalization and contextualization". KM World. Available from: Business Source Premier. 25 (2): 29. ISSN 1099-8284.
- "Sitecore Features". bekagool.com. Retrieved 21 Aug 2018.