Siti Nurhaliza I
|Studio album by Siti Nurhaliza|
|Released||1 April 1996|
|Producer||Adnan Abu Hassan, Fauzi Marzuki, Peter Fam|
|Siti Nurhaliza chronology|
|Singles from Siti Nurhaliza I|
Siti Nurhaliza is the debut album by Malaysian singer Siti Nurhaliza released in 1996. This album is the debut of her after winning in a singing competition by RTM, Bintang HMI 1995, where she recorded in 1996. The album is self-titled, and composed almost entirely of pop and ballad genre with its famous debut single Jerat Percintaan which later won the 11th Anugerah Juara Lagu in the same year and sold more than 50 000 copies. She won the title during her first entrance to Anugerah Juara Lagu by beating favourites at that time, Ziana Zain and Fauziah Latiff.
Siti Nurhaliza I is one of Siti’s first of six albums with collaboration with Adnan Abu Hassan, who contributes seven songs in the album.
After winning Bintang HMI in 1995 and the successful release of her duet single with 2 by 2, "Mawarku" ("My Rose"), Siti Nurhaliza was approached by renowned music producer Adnan Abu Hassan and offered her a recording contract with Suria Records in which Adnan who was the label’s General Manager at that time. Soon after, the label’s manager Tan Su Loke came to her residence in Temerloh to ask Siti’s father, Tarudin Ismail to sign a contract. Prior to joining Suria Records, Siti Nurhaliza receive a recording deal with major recording companies – Sony Music, BMG Music and Warner Music. Working with Adnan, who taught her a vocal class, she records her debut album.
During the recording of her album, which recorded between mid 1995 and early 1996, Siti Nurhaliza had to divide her time between Kuala Lipis and Kuala Lumpur every week on Friday by riding bus accompanied by her mother, Siti Salmah Bachik and Siti’s brother, Saiful Bahri and return to her hometown in Kuala Lipis on Sunday afternoon as she is still schooling and sitting Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) exams.
Release and reception
Siti Nurhaliza was released in 1 April 1996 by Suria Records, with Adnan Abu Hassan as the album producer and two music videos was released from the album – "Jerat Percintaan" and "Jawapan di Persimpangan". The album was well-received and sold more than 50, 000 copies, leading Siti Nurhaliza herself won the Best New Female Artist at the 1997 Anugerah Industri Muzik and two nominations for the Best Pop Album and Best Vocal Performance in an Album (Female) at the same award in 1998.
Three singles was released from this album, Jerat Percintaan ("Love Trap"), Jawapan Di Persimpangan ("Answer at the Corner") and Cari-Cari ("Looking"). The album itself as of 2005, has been sold to a total of more than 800,000 units in Malaysia alone.
|1.||"Jawapan di Persimpangan" ("An Answer at the Crossroads")||Othman Zainuddin||Adnan Abu Hassan||4:21|
|2.||"Mahligai Asmara" ("Palace of Romance")||Hani M.J||Adnan Abu Hassan||4:10|
|3.||"Jerat Percintaan" ("Love Trap")||Othman Zainuddin, Hani M.J||Adnan Abu Hassan||4:55|
|4.||"Antara Waktu dan Usia" ("Between Time and Age")||Hani M.J||Adnan Abu Hassan||5:18|
|5.||"Sempadan" ("The Borders")||Hani M.J||Adnan Abu Hassan||4:48|
|6.||"Sanggar Bayu" ("The House of Breeze")||Othman Zainuddin||Adnan Abu Hassan||4:37|
|7.||"Cari-cari" ("Looking")||Shahnaz||Fauzi Marzuki||4:22|
|8.||"Bicara Luka" ("Hurtful Words")||Amran Omar||Fauzi Marzuki||5:01|
|9.||"Kerana Jelingan Mu" ("Because of Your Glances")||Lukman S||Adnan Abu Hassan||3:51|
|10.||"Jalanan Berduri" ("Thorny Paths")||Hani M.J||Peter Fam||5:38|
Credits adapted from Siti Nurhaliza I booklet liner notes.
- Song Champion, 11th Anugerah Juara Lagu 1996 (Jerat Percintaan)
- Best Performance, 11th Anugerah Juara Lagu 1996 (Jerat Percintaan)
- Best Ballad, 11th Anugerah Juara Lagu 1996 (Jerat Percintaan)
- Best Song, 4th Anugerah Industri Muzik 1997 (Jerat Percintaan)
- "Siti Nurhaliza". SitiZone. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- "Mahu seksi atau sopan? – Artis-artis dikelilingi konsultan imej". Utusan Malaysia Online (in Malay). 10 October 2000. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Kembara seni penyanyi No. 1". Utusan Malaysia Online (in Malay). 4 April 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Juara Lagu Unearths Another New Star.". Life! Singapore Straits Time. Simply Siti Nurhaliza Zone. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- "Cabaran Buat Siti Nurhaliza.". Utusan Malaysia (in Malay). Simply Siti Nurhaliza Zone. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- Hardi Effendi Yaacob (14 June 2009). "Siti Nurhaliza diburu syarikat rakaman" [Siti Nurhaliza pursued by recording companies]. Berita Minggu (in Malay). Archived from the original on 22 March 2012. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- Shazryn Mohd. Faizal (27 April 2009). "Bukan selalu Siti menang". Utusan Malaysia Online (in Malay). Retrieved 23 September 2010.
- Malay Mail Staff (9 May 2005). "Career Highlights: Adnan Abu Hassan". The Malay Mail. AccessMyLibrary. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Siti Nurhaliza I (liner notes). Siti Nurhaliza. Suria Records. 1996.
- "Sentuhan Adnan akhiri kemarau kategori Balada". Berita Harian (in Malay). Digital Collections DC5: Text Archive. 30 December 2003. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Catatan penting Juara Lagu". Utusan Malaysia Online (in Malay). 1 January 2008. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Fakta menarik sejarah Juara Lagu". Utusan Malaysia Online (in Malay). 16 January 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "AIM perlu diteruskan". Metro Ahad (in Malay). Digital Collections DC5: Text Archive. 30 December 2003. Retrieved 16 September 2010.