Sitting on Top of the World (Delta Goodrem song)
|"Sitting on Top of the World"|
|Single by Delta Goodrem|
|from the album Child of the Universe|
|Released||13 April 2012|
|Delta Goodrem singles chronology|
"Sitting on Top of the World" is a song by Australian pop singer and songwriter Delta Goodrem. It was sent to Australian contemporary hit radio on 5 April 2012. "Sitting on Top of the World" was released physically and digitally on 13 April 2012. "Sitting on Top of the World" marked the return to multi-platinum certified singles for Goodrem since 2003's "Predictable".
Background and composition
The release of "Sitting on Top of the World" was much anticipated. This was mostly due to the four years since Goodrem's last solo single, "I Can't Break It to My Heart" (2008). "Sitting on Top of the World" is about Goodrem "feeling like herself" again and feeling connected to the world through music/friendship.
"Sitting on Top of the World" was written by Goodrem and co-written and produced by John Shanks. Lyrically, it talks about stars aligning and being together as one. "So get up, stand up / What you waiting for?" she happily commands. "We gotta live life, give in to begin / We've got a love like no one knows!" she sings on the power pop track.
Brad Stern wrote for an MTV Buzzworthy article that the song is "a swoon-filled, carefree pop ditty." In another review, Stern wrote for MuuMuse that "probably the most fun, feel good, warm 'n' fuzzy on the inside bout of euphoria you'll feel since that last time you were tripping out on MDMA." He also praised her "sublime vocals", the "powerhouse instrumentation" and called it "an absolutely massive smash." In Australia, "Sitting on Top of the World" debuted and peaked at number two on the ARIA Charts, being held off the top spot by Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe". It was certified double platinum by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) for shipments of 140,000 copies. In New Zealand, the song debuted at number 38 and moved to number 23 in its second week.
The official music video for "Sitting on Top of the World" was released on 6 April 2012 on Vevo. It is set in various places in Melbourne, Australia. It is mostly a continuation on the ideas Goodrem used in the "A Little Too Late", "In This Life" and "Out of the Blue" music videos of her posing and dancing with her friends and playing her piano in a fun way and otherwise dancing in a hippie style. Goodrem herself stated in the behind-the-scenes video on YouTube that it is about how you may get distracted from your main focus in life, but you will always end up where you belong in the end. About "seeing signs, wanting to be in the right place at the right time". The balloons symbolize various paths she has taken over her own life and listeners have taken in their own lives.
The video features Goodrem and a lot of dancers twirling around in a giant field like fanciful forest creatures while holding balloons. At one point, she plays a piano while standing in black stilettos and wearing a bedazzled leather jacket. Brad Stern from MTV News wrote that the video "is equally amazing, featuring Goodrem and a troupe of happy-go-lucky ladies and gents dancing around with balloons in hands."
Goodrem performed "Sitting on Top of the World" for the first time during the Logie Awards on 15 April 2012. The singer made several instore appearances to promote the single in Melbourne, Newcastle, Sydney and Queensland. She also performed "Sitting on Top of the World" on the Today show and then performed the single and "In This Life" at the first round of the 2012 State of Origin series.
- Digital download
- "Sitting on Top of the World" – 3:57
- CD single
- "Sitting on Top of the World" – 3:57
- "Uncovered" – 4:02
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||23|
|Australian Artists Singles (ARIA)||7|
|Australia (ARIA)||2× Platinum||140,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
|Australia||5 April 2012||Sony Music Australia||Airplay|
|13 April 2012||CD single, digital download|
|New Zealand||Digital download|
- Stern, Bradley (10 April 2012). "MuuMuse Approved: Delta Goodrem – "Sitting On Top Of The World"". MuuMuse. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Artin (30 March 2012). "Delta’s official website countdown ends with single snippet, instore dates and welcome video". Delta Daily. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- "Delta On Top Of Her World". Perth Now. News Limited. 7 April 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- Stern, Brad (10 April 2012). "Delta Goodrem, Scissor Sisters, Britney Spears + More: 5 Must-Hear Pop Songs Of The Week". MTV Buzzworthy. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Reines, Ros (22 April 2012). "Delta Goodrem's last chance to hit the right note on The Voice". The Telegraph. Retrieved April 22, 2012.
- Confidential, Herald Sun. "The Voice judge Delta Goodrem accused of ‘ripping off' song". Herald Sun. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Delta Goodrem's Sitting On Top Of The World allegedly musically similar to Arcade Fire's 2005 song Rebellion (Lies)". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Delta Goodrem's New Video 'Sitting On Top Of The World' - Get A Sneak Peek!". Take 40. 3 April 2012. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- Byrne, Fiona (17 March 2012). "New Delta Goodrem rising for the Logies". Herald Sun. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- "Sitting On Top of The World". Sanity. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – Delta Goodrem – Sitting On Top Of The World". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "Charts.org.nz – Delta Goodrem – Sitting On Top Of The World". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 9 September 2012.