Sittingbourne railway station
|Classification||DfT category C2|
|25 January 1858||Opened|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
Sittingbourne railway station is on the Chatham Main Line and the Sheerness Line in north Kent. It is 44 miles 59 chains (72.0 km) down the line from London Victoria. Train services are provided by Southeastern. Ticket barriers are sometimes in operation, depending on the time of day.
Two new lifts linked by a new footbridge have created a step-free route between the station entrance and platforms to provide better access to train services. The improvements have been funded through the government’s Access for All programme and cost around £1,800,000.
The work has also included a series of enhancements to station facilities funded through the National Stations Improvement Programme and include relocating and increasing the number of cycle parking spaces outside the station; renovating all passenger toilets; creating new waiting shelters on the platforms and a new waiting room on platform; repositioning the ticket gates to create more space for passengers in the ticket office; and installing a new customer information screen and non-slip flooring in the ticket office.
The Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway's station, at Sittingbourne Viaduct, is a short walk away.
Accidents and incidents
- In January 1861, a passenger train was derailed. One passenger was killed.
- On 31 August 1878, a passenger train collided with some goods wagons. Five people were killed.
- On 27 July 1966, a freight train was derailed at Sittingbourne West Junction. The line was blocked for two days.
The typical off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 1 tph to London St Pancras International
- 2 tph to London Victoria
- 1 tph to Dover Priory via Canterbury East
- 2 tph to Ramsgate
- 1 tph to Sheerness-on-Sea
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Newington or Rainham||Southeastern
||Teynham or Faversham|
- Kidner, R. W. (1977) . The South Eastern and Chatham Railway. Tarrant Hinton: The Oakwood Press. p. 89.
- Moody, G. T. (1979) . Southern Electric 1909-1979 (Fifth ed.). Shepperton: Ian Allan Ltd. pp. 169–70. ISBN 0-7110-0924-4.
- Table 194, 212 National Rail timetable, December 2021
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sittingbourne railway station.|