Siuslaw River Bridge
|Siuslaw River Bridge|
|Design||Double tied-arch with central bascule draw span|
|Total length||1,568 feet|
|Longest span||140 feet|
March 31, 1936
Siuslaw River Bridge No. 01821
|Location||OR Coast 9, US101, MP109.98, Florence, Oregon|
|Area||2.2 acres (0.89 ha)|
|Built by||Mercer-Fraser Co.|
|Architect||Conde B. McCullough|
|Architectural style||Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals, Modern Movement|
|MPS||McCullough, C.B., Major Oregon Coast Highway Bridges MPS|
|NRHP reference #||05000816|
|Added to NRHP||August 5, 2005|
The Siuslaw River Bridge is a bascule bridge that spans the Siuslaw River on U.S. Route 101 in Florence, Oregon. It was designed by Conde McCullough, built by the Mercer-Fraser Company of Eureka, California, and funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (later renamed the Public Works Administration). It opened in 1936.
The bridge's total length is 1,568 feet (478 m). When open, the 140-foot (43 m) double-leaf bascule provides 110 feet (34 m) of horizontal clearance for boat traffic. The bascule section is flanked by two 154-foot (47 m) reinforced concrete tied arches, identical to those used in the original Alsea Bay Bridge. Four Art Deco-style obelisks house mechanical equipment as well as living quarters for the bridge operator. The total cost of the bridge was $527,000 (equivalent to $9.4 million in 2017).
- Bridges portal
- Oregon portal
- List of bridges on U.S. Route 101 in Oregon
- List of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places in Oregon
- "Oregon National Register List" (PDF). Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. June 6, 2011. p. 22. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Hadlow, Robert W. (2001). Elegant Arches, Soaring Spans: C.B. McCullough, Oregon's Master Bridge Builder. Oregon State University Press. pp. 93–94, 105, 138. ISBN 0-87071-534-8.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Siuslaw River Bridge, Spanning Siuslaw River at Oregon Coast Highway, Florence, Lane, OR at the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER)
- Media related to Siuslaw River Bridge at Wikimedia Commons
- Siuslaw River Bridge at Structurae
- on YouTube
|This article about a bridge in Oregon is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in Oregon on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|