Sivakarthikeyan in Maan Karate 2014
|Born||17 February 1985|
|Alma mater||JJCET, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu|
|Years active||2007– present|
Sivakarthikeyan is an Indian film actor, playback singer, producer, lyricist and television presenter who works in Tamil films. He began his career in television as a reality show personality on Star Vijay. He made his acting debut in Marina. He produces films under his production company, Sivakarthikeyan Productions.
During college, he took part in various cultural events and performed mimicry and stand-up comedy on stage. Between his studies he took three months break and during this period his friends convinced him to go for auditions of Kalakka Povathu Yaaru, a reality show for comedy aired on Star Vijay. He started his career as a mimicry artist. Despite initial reluctance to participate, he won the show. He appeared in short films including his friend Atlee's Mugapputhagam, Identity, Kurahl 786 and 360°.
Director Pandiraj approached him to play the lead role in his film Marina, and Sivakarthikeyan signed the project. He prepared for his first role by paying close attention to Pandiraj's instructions and visiting Marina Beach extensively to study the surroundings, while revealing that he hoped that his natural talent of humour would come through on-screen. Featuring alongside Oviya as a young couple in the film, Siva's performance was well received with a critic noting "the romance adds color to a monochrome film", while the reviewer also noted that the "role of Senthilnathan requires Siva to be just himself, it is just a cake walk in terms of performance for this actor."
Prior to Marina's release, Aishwarya Dhanush had signed him up to play a supporting role as Dhanush's friend in 3, after being impressed with his work on stage as a host. Following significant pre-release hype, the film opened to predominantly positive reviews with critics appreciating Sivakarthikeyan's work providing comic relief in a serious film. The project also marked the beginning of an association with Dhanush, whom Sivakarthikeyan has often stated is his mentor in the film industry. He was next seen in Ezhil's romantic comedy Manam Kothi Paravai, which opened to mixed reviews but had a decent run at the box office.
A critic noted that the film "might not provide Sivakarthikeyan the platform he is aspiring for – lead roles in movies. But it does showcase his potential as an actor, moving away from the annals of a comedian."
2013 – present
In 2013 he appeared in three films. In his first release of the year, Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga, a dual hero coming-of-age comedy, Sivakarthikeyan partnered once again with Pandiraj and shot for the film in his hometown of Tiruchirappalli alongside Vimal. The film opened to positive reviews with critics. The film became a surprise success at the box office and ended up being a profitable venture for producers and distributors. His next success was through Dhanush's debut production venture Ethir Neechal, written and directed by R. S. Durai Senthilkumar, a former assistant of film director, Vetrimaaran. It is a story about a young man having talent as a runner, who strives to make his identity into a pride one. His third release in 2013, director Ponram's comedy Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam, saw him portray a carefree rural youth where he paired up with another newcomer Sri Divya. Actor Soori played an important role in the film as Sivakarthikeyan's close aide. It was also the first time that Sivakarthikeyan sang a song in a film and a promotional video of its making was released to market the film. He won positive reviews for his performance from critics, with Sify noting "Sivakarthikeyan is terrific as Bosepandi because he makes this yarn look so believable on screen with his body language, eyes and dialogue delivery". Another reviewer called him a delight to watch and claimed that he carried the script. The film completed 100 days during its theatrical run and is Sivakarthikeyan's biggest commercial box office success to date. Sivakarthikeyan's entertaining performances in 2013 has led him winning the Vijay Awards 2013 for the "Entertainer of the year". "It was the memorable moment", says Sivakarthikeyan.
In 2015, Sivakarthikeyan paired up once again with his Ethir Neechal director, Durai Senthilkumar, for a cop action film, Kakki Sattai. The film released on 27 February 2015. It was a story about a sincere Constable who takes risks to stop black market Organ donation and having the aim to become an Inspector. He again joined hands with his Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam director in the film Rajini Murugan where another newcomer Keerthy Suresh acted, who became most popular actress after this film in cinema industry. The film's producer, N. Linguswamy, ultimately failed to provide Sivakarthikeyan with his salary due to losses incurred by the film's delayed release. His film Remo, directed by debutant Bakkiyaraj Kannan and produced by R. D. Raja, featured Sivakarthikeyan playing love-struck youth disguising himself as a female nurse to befriend his love interest. Sivakarthikeyan's next venture was director Mohan Raja's action-thriller, Velaikkaran, pairing with Nayanthara and featuring Fahadh Faasil as the main antagonist. The film, which revolves around an employee fighting against food adulteration in society, was released on 22 December 2017 to positive reviews from critics. He then featured in Seema Raja, directed by Ponram. The film, featuring an ensemble cast including Samantha Akkineni, Simran, Lal and Soori, released on 13 September 2018, coinciding with the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi, received mixed reviews. His next venture, Kanaa, in Arunraja Kamaraj's directorial debut, featured Sivakarthikeyan as a cricket coach along with Aishwarya Rajesh and Sathyaraj. The film was released on 21 December 2018. It was the debut movie of SK productions.
Sivakarthikeyan's next venture was the film, Mr. Local, starring opposite Nayanthara for the second time. He is set to make his Telugu film debut alongside Aishwarya Rajesh in the film Kousalya Krishnamurthy, the remake of Kanaa.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|Manam Kothi Paravai||Kannan|
|2013||Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga||Pattai "Ranga" Murugan|
|Ethir Neechal||Kunjithapatham (Harish)|
|Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam||Bose Pandi|
|2014||Maan Karate||Royapuram Peter|
|2015||Kaaki Sattai||R. Madhimaran|
|Vajrakaya||Himself||Kannada film; Cameo appearance in title song|
|2016||Rajini Murugan||Rajini Murugan, Bose Pandi|
|Remo||Siva Karthikeyan "SK" (Regina Motwani-"Remo")|
|2018||Seema Raja||Seema Raja / Kadambavel Raja|
|Kanaa||Nelson Dhilipkumar||Extended cameo; debut production|
|Kousalya Krishnamurthy||Nelson Dhilipkumar||Telugu film; Extended cameo|
|Namma Veettu Pillai||Arumpon|
|2019||Kanaa||Aishwarya Rajesh, Sathyaraj||Arunraj Kamaraj||Production Debut|
|2019||Nenjam Undu Nermai Undu Odu Raja||Rio Raj, Shirin Kanchwala||Karthik Venugopal||Blacksheep (YouTubers)|
|2020||Vaazhl||Pradeep, Bhanu, Diva and Yathra||Arun Prabhu Purushothaman|
|2020||Doctor||Sivakarthikeyan, Vinay, Priyanka Arul Mohan||Nelson Dilipkumar|
|Year||Reality Show/Fiction/Live Show||Role||Channel||Notes|
|2007||Kalakka Povathu Yaaru: Season 1||Contestant||Star Vijay|
|Jodi Number One: Season 3|
|Kana Kaanum Kaalangal: Season 1||Himself||Special appearance|
|2009||Boys vs Girls: Season 1||Contestant|
|Kana Kaanum Kaalangal: Season 2||Himself||Special appearance|
|Adhu Idhu Edhu||Anchor|
|Super Singer Junior|
|Boys vs Girls: Season 2||Anchor/Contestant|
|2010||Jodi Number One: Season 5||Anchor|
|Airtel Super Singer 3|
|Jodi Number One Junior|
|2011||Koffee with Siva|
|5th Vijay Awards|
|Kings of Comedy: Season 1|
|2012||6th Vijay Awards|
|2016||Comedy Super Night 2||Himself||Flowers TV||Malayalam show|
|2013||Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam||"Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam"||D. Imman|
|2014||Maan Karate||"Royapuram Peter"||Anirudh Ravichander|
|2015||Kaaki Sattai||"Iam So Cool"|
|2015||Mapla Singam||"Edhukku Machchan"||N. R. Raghunanthan||Movie Version Only|
|2016||Rajini Murugan||"Rajini Murugan"||D. Imman|
|2018||Kanaa||"Vaayadi Petha Pulla"||Dhibu Ninan Thomas|
|2019||Mr.Local||"Kalakkalu Mr.Localu"||Hiphop Tamizha|
|2019||Thumbaa||"Humpty Dumpty"||Santhosh Dhayanidhi|
|2019||Sixer||"Engavena Kochikinu Po"||Ghibran|
|2018||Kolamavu Kokila||"Kalyana Vayasu"||Anirudh Ravichander|
|2019||Gurkha||"Hey Poya"||Raj Aryan|
|2019||Namma Veettu Pillai||"Gaandakanazhagi"||D Imman|
|2019||Aditya Varma||"Idhu Enna Maayamo"||Radhan|
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 2013 Behindwoods Gold Medal Award for Best Entertainer of the year for Ethir Neechal & Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam 
- 2017 Behindwoods Gold Medal Award for Best Person of the year for Rajini Murugan & Remo
- 2019 Behindwoods Gold Medal Award for the Golden Family Entertrainer of Tamil Cinema for Namma Veettu Pillai
- 2013 Edison Awards for Best Male Rising Star
- 2015 Edison Awards for Best Entertainer of the Year for Kaaki Sattai
- 2017 Edison Awards for Best Entertainer of the Year for Remo
- 2018 Edison Awards for Favourite Actor for Velaikkaran
- 2014 Sensation of South Indian Cinema
- 2017 Best Actor Award for Remo
- 2018 Best Actor Award for Velaikkaran
- 2013 Vijay TV Neeya Naana Awards – Best Entertainer Of The Year
- 2014 Vijay Award for Entertainer of the Year for Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga, Ethir Neechal & Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam
- 2014 Vijay Television Awards – Pride of Vijay TV
- 2012 Techofes Award – Best Debut Actor Award For Marina
- 2018 Techofes Award – Best Actor Award For Velaikkaran
- 2018 Galatta Debut Awards – People Choice Award For Best Producer Kanaa
- 2019 JFW Awards – Best Women Centric Movie Kanaa
- 2019 Zee Tamil Kudumbam Viruthugal - Most Popular Movie of the Year Kanaa
- 2019 Behindwoods Gold Medal Award - Best Producer for Most Inspiring Film Kanaa
- 2018 Galatta Debut Awards – Best Debut Lyricist Award for "Kalyana Vayasu" Ko Ko
- 2011 Vikatan Award – Best Anchor for Jodi No.1
- 2013 Raj TV Mudhal Moovar Award for Best Debutant Actor Award for Marina
- 2013 Women Exclusive Magazine Award
- 2014 Audi Ritz Icon Awards
- 2014 Mirchi Music Awards South – Youth Icon Award
- 2014 SICA Award for Youth Icon
- 2016 MGR Sivaji Academy Awards – Best Actor Award for Rajini Murugan and Remo
- 2017 Living Legends Awards – Young Achiever Award
- 2017 Audi Ritz Style Awards – South India's Most Admired Celebrity Award
- 2017 Abirami Awards – Best Actor Award For Velaikkaran
- "Happy birthday Sivakarthikeyan: Eight lesser known facts about this rising star". 17 February 2017. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
Just 14 days before his 27th birthday, Sivakarthikeyan made his debut as a leading man with Marina, which released on February 3, 2012.
- Lakshmi, V. (27 June 2013) I never thought I'd become a hero: Sivakarthikeyan. The Times of India.
- Sivakarthikeyan's Short Film by Atlee. YouTube.com (9 April 2011). Retrieved on 27 February 2016.
- Love and laughter. The Hindu (15 March 3018). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Marina Review – Marina Movie Review. Behindwoods.com.
- Here's why Siva is unhappy!. The New Indian Express. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Movie Review : 3. Sify.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Manam Kothi Paravai Review – Manam Kothi Paravai Movie Review. Behindwoods.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014. This was the breakthrough performance in his film career
- Smart Alec. The Hindu (2 February 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Movie Review: Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga review. Sify.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Review: Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga is an entertainer – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (29 March 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga-A mass hit. Sify.com (5 April 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Mannath, Malini. (8 September 2013) Varuthapadatha Vaalibar Sangam: Karthikeyan's splendid take. The New Indian Express. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Yet another century for Sivakarthikeyan – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (14 December 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- "Vijay Awards: Ajith's 'Arrambam', Kamal Haasan, Sivakarthikeyan Bag Awards [Winners List]". Ibtimes.co.in. 6 July 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- 'Kakki Sattai (Kaaki Sattai) Opening Weekend Box Office Collection: Sivakarthikeyan's Film Earns ₹13.34 Crore in the First Weekend. Ibtimes.co.in (2 March 2015). Retrieved on 6 May 2015.
- "Sivakarthikeyan's salary for Rajini Murugan is negative! – KOLLY TALK". 16 January 2016. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "Remo (aka) Sivakarthikeyan's Remo review". Behindwoods. 7 October 2016. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Velaikkaran review- An honest film that hits the right notes". sify.com. 22 December 2017. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Sivakarthikeyan to make his Telugu debut in 'Kanaa' remake". 22 June 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Sivakarthikeyan - Behindwoods Gold Medal Winner 2013 - Best Entertaining Performance for Varuthapadatha Vaalibar Sangam and Ethir Neechal - Behindwoods Tamil Film Awards". www.behindwoods.com.
- "Behindwoods Gold Medals 2017 - Tamil Film Awards for best movies, artists and technicians". Behindwoods.
- "Sivakarthikeyan - The Golden Family Entertainer Of Tamil Cinema for Namma Veettu Pillai | 7th BEHINDWOODS GOLD MEDALS 2019 - WINNERS!". Behindwoods. 9 December 2019.
- "Edison Awards (India)". Wikipedia. 7 November 2019.
- Salem, James M. (18 December 2019). "Vijay Award for Entertainer of the Year". Wikipedia.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sivakarthikeyan.|