This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sivakarthikeyan in 2014
February 17, 1985
singampunari,Sivagangai, Tamil Nadu
|Residence||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Years active||2012 – present|
Sivakarthikeyan also known as SK is an Indian actor, comedian, playback singer, producer and lyricist, best known for his Tamil films. He began his career as a television personality at Star Vijay, initially participating in reality shows, including the stand-up comedy show Kalakka Povathu Yaaru and the dance competition show Jodi Number One. He later went on to become a recurring host of those shows, especially Athu Ithu Ethu, and many other Star Vijay shows for multiple seasons until shortly after he made his acting debut in Marina.
Career beginnings (2008–12)
During his college days he took part in various cultural events and performed mimicry and standup comedy on stage. Between his studies he took three months break and during this period his friends convinced him to go for auditions of Kalakka Povathu Yaaru, a reality show for comedy aired on Star Vijay. Despite initial reluctance to participate, he won the show. He then continued his television appearances by participating in dance-reality shows, pairing up with Aishwarya Prabhakar in Jodi Number One Season 3 and then in Boys Vs Girls Season 1 and 2.
Sivakarthikeyan became well known for his light-hearted trolls and mockery of co-hosts and participants in shows, as well as his impersonations of several film actors, especially Rajinikanth. He received further opportunities to host several shows on Star Vijay like Airtel Super Singer and Jodi Number One Season 5. He hosted the special edition of a popular talk show, Koffee with Siva, after Koffee with Anu had discontinued due to Anu Haasan's retirement. However it was his game show, Athu Ithu Ethu that made him reach a wide range of audience. He got opportunities to host promotional film events as well as the 5th and 6th editions of the Vijay Awards. He regularly appeared in short films including his friend Atlee's Mugapputhagam, Identity, Kurahl 786 and 360°, while balancing his career as a television host.
After seeing him host the audio launch function of the film Vaagai Sooda Vaa, Director Pandiraj approached him to play the lead role in his film Marina, and Sivakarthikeyan signed the project. He prepared for his first role by paying close attention to Pandiraj's instructions and visiting Marina Beach extensively to study the surroundings, while revealing that he hoped that his natural talent of humour would come through on-screen. Featuring alongside Oviya as a young couple in the film, Siva's performance was well received with a critic noting "the romance adds color to a monochrome film", while the reviewer also noted that the "role of Senthilnathan requires Siva to be just himself, it is just a cake walk in terms of performance for this actor."And his best friend is senthi arul.
Prior to Marina's release, Aishwarya Dhanush had signed him up to play a supporting role as Dhanush's friend in 3, after being impressed with his work on stage as a host. Following significant pre-release hype, the film opened to predominantly positive reviews with critics appreciating Sivakarthikeyan's work providing comic relief in a serious film. The project also marked the beginning of an association with Dhanush, whom Sivakarthikeyan has often stated is his mentor in the film industry. He was next seen in Ezhil's romantic comedy Manam Kothi Paravai, which opened to mixed reviews but had a decent run at the box office.
A critic noted that the film "might not provide Sivakarthikeyan the platform he is aspiring for – lead roles in movies. But it does showcase his potential as an actor, moving away from the annals of a comedian."
Breakthrough (2013 – present)
In 2013 he appeared in three commercially successful films which hits 100 days. In his first release of the year,Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga, a dual hero coming-of-age comedy, Sivakarthikeyan partnered once again with Pandiraj and shot for the film in his hometown of Tiruchirappalli alongside Vimal. The film opened to positive reviews with critics. The film became a surprise success at the box office and ended up being a profitable venture for producers and distributors, It brings out the acting skill of him. His next success was through Dhanush's debut production venture Ethir Neechal, written and directed by Durai Senthilkumar, a former assistant of film director, Vetrimaran. It is a story about a Common Young man having talent as a runner, who strives to make his identity into a pride one. His third release in 2013, director Ponram's comedy Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam, saw him portray a carefree rural youth where he paired up with another newcomer Sri Divya. Actor Soori played an important role in the film as Sivakarthikeyan's close aide. It was also the first time that Sivakarthikeyan sang a song in a film and a promotional video of its making was released to market the film. He won positive reviews for his performance from critics, with Sify noting "Sivakarthikeyan is terrific as Bosepandi because he makes this yarn look so believable on screen with his body language, eyes and dialogue delivery". Another reviewer called him a delight to watch and claimed that he carried the script. The film completed 100 days during its theatrical run and is Sivakarthikeyan's biggest commercial box office success to date. Sivakarthikeyan's entertaining performances in 2013 has led him winning the Vijay Awards 2013 for the "Entertainer of the year". "It was the memorable moment," says Sivakarthikeyan.
In 2015, Sivakarthikeyan paired up once again with his Ethir Neechal director, Durai Senthilkumar, for a cop film, Kakki Sattai. The film released on 27 February 2015. It was a story about a sincere Constable who takes risks to protect black Organ donation and having the aim to become an Inspector. He again joined hands with his Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam director in the film Rajini Murugan with another newcomer Keerthy Suresh . The film's producer, N. Linguswamy, ultimately failed to provide Sivakarthikeyan with his salary due to losses incurred by the film's delayed release. His film Remo, directed by debutant Bakkiyaraj Kannan and produced by R. D. Raja, featured Sivakarthikeyan playing love-struck youth disguising himself as a female nurse to befriend his love interest. From this film, he got the title "SK", which is just a short-form of his name
All the films are in Tamil, unless otherwise noted.
|3||Kumaran||Aishwarya R. Dhanush||Supporting Role|
|Manam Kothi Paravai||Kannan||Ezhil|
|2013||Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga||Ranga Murugan||Pandiraj|
|Ethir Neechal||Kunjithapatham (Harish)||R.S.Durai Senthilkumar|
|Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam||Bose Pandi||Ponram|
|2015||Kaaki Sattai||R. Madhimaran||R.S.Durai Senthilkumar|
|Vajrakaya||As Himself||Harsha||Cameo Appearance (Kannada Film)|
|2016||Rajini Murugan||Rajini Murugan, Bose Pandi||Ponram|
|Remo||SK / Remo||Bakkiyaraj Kannan|
|2018||Seema Raja||Raja||Ponram||Post Production|
|2018||Kanaa (film)||Arunraja Kamaraj|
|2013||Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam||"Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam"||D. Imman|
|2014||Maan Karate||"Royapuram Peter"||Anirudh Ravichander|
|2015||Kakki Sattai||"Iam So Cool"||Anirudh Ravichander|
|2015||Mapla Singam||"Edhukku Machchan"||N. R. Raghunanthan||Movie Version Only|
|2016||Rajini Murugan||"Rajini Murugan"||D. Imman|
|2018||Kolamavu Kokila||"Kalyana Vayasu"||Anirudh Ravichander|
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Section needs references, as it is otherwise at risk of deletion. Non-notable awards should be removed. Notability is typically established first with a longstanding article about the award. Awards for which there are not articles are at risk of being challenged and/or removed. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 2013 Behindwoods Gold Medal Award for Best Entertainer of the year for Ethir Neechal & Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam
- 2017 Behindwoods Gold Medal Award for Best Person of the year for Rajini Murugan & Remo
- 2013 Edison Awards for Best Male Rising Star
- 2015 Edison Awards for Best Entertainer of the Year for Kaaki Sattai
- 2017 Edison Awards for Best Entertainer of the Year for Remo
- 2018 Edison Awards for Favourite Actor for Velaikkaran
- 2013 Vijay TV Neeya Naana Awards – Best Entertainer Of The Year
- 2014 Vijay Award for Entertainer of the Year for Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga , Ethir Neechal & Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam
- 2014 Vijay Television Awards – Pride of Vijay TV
- 2012 Techofes Award – Best Debut Actor Award For Marina
- 2018 Techofes Award – Best Actor Award For Velaikkaran
- Other Awards
- 2011 Vikatan Award – Best Anchor for Jodi No.1
- 2013 Raj TV Mudhal Moovar Award for Best Debutant Actor Award for Marina
- 2013 Women Exclusive Magazine Award
- 2014 Audi Ritz Icon Awards
- 2014 Mirchi Music Awards South – Youth Icon Award
- 2014 SICA Award for Youth Icon
- 2016 MGR Sivaji Academy Awards – Best Actor Award for Rajini Murugan and Remo
- 2017 Living Legends Awards – Young Achiever Award
- 2017 Audi Ritz Style Awards – South India’s Most Admired Celebrity Award
- 2017 Abirami Awards – Best Actor Award For Velaikkaran
- "Happy birthday Sivakarthikeyan: Eight lesser known facts about this rising star". 17 February 2017. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
Just 14 days before his 27th birthday, Sivakarthikeyan made his debut as a leading man with Marina, which released on February 3, 2012.
- Lakshmi, V. (27 June 2013) I never thought I’d become a hero: engal veetu pillai. The Times of India.
- Sivakarthikeyan's Short Film by Atlee. YouTube.com (9 April 2011). Retrieved on 27 February 2016.
- Love and laughter. The Hindu (15 March 2012). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Marina Review – Marina Movie Review. Behindwoods.com.
- Here's why Siva is unhappy!. The New Indian Express. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Movie Review : 3. Sify.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Manam Kothi Paravai Review – Manam Kothi Paravai Movie Review. Behindwoods.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Smart Alec. The Hindu (2 February 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Movie Review: Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga review. Sify.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Review: Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga is an entertainer – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (29 March 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga-A mass hit. Sify.com (5 April 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Mannath, Malini. (8 September 2013) Varuthapadatha Vaalibar Sangam: Karthikeyan's splendid take. The New Indian Express. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Yet another century for Sivakarthikeyan – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (14 December 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- "Vijay Awards: Ajith's 'Arrambam', Kamal Haasan, Sivakarthikeyan Bag Awards [Winners List]". Ibtimes.co.in. 6 July 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "CHENNAI BOX OFFICE". Behindwoods. 25 May 2014.
- "Chennai Box-Office". Sify. 21 April 2014.
- 'Kakki Sattai (Kaaki Sattai) Opening Weekend Box Office Collection: Sivakarthikeyan's Film Earns ₹13.34 Crore in the First Weekend. Ibtimes.co.in (2 March 2015). Retrieved on 6 May 2015.
- "Sivakarthikeyan's salary for Rajini Murugan is negative! – KOLLY TALK". 16 January 2016. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "Sivakarthikeyan names his daughter - Times of India". The Times of India. 2017-01-17. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- "10 Unknown facts about Sivakarthikeyan".