Six-plus hold 'em
|Alternative names||Short-deck hold 'em|
|Type||Community card poker|
|Skills required||Probability, psychology|
|Card rank (highest first)||A K Q J 10 9 8 7 6|
Six-plus hold 'em (also known as short-deck hold 'em) is a community card poker game variant of Texas hold 'em, where the 2 through 5 cards are removed from the deck. Each player is dealt two cards face down and seeks to make the best five card poker hand from any combination of the seven cards (five community cards and their own two hole cards).
The rules in terms of betting structures, play of the hand, and showdown are the same as in Texas hold 'em. However before play begins all cards 2 through 5 are removed (16 cards), thus the total number of cards in the deck is 36. Aces are high, but same as in Texas hold 'em, can make both low and high end of straights. For example the lowest straight would be (9x-8x-7x-6x-Ax) and the highest (Ax-Kx-Qx-Jx-10x). This changes the probability of hands and alters hand rankings.
Modified hand rankings (7-card)
|3||Four of a kind|
|6||Three of a kind†|
† Flush ranks higher than full house. Three-of-a-kind ranks higher than a straight, however recent games have been ranking straight higher than three-of-a-kind. Some variations of six-plus hold 'em plays with standard Texas hold 'em hand rankings. When calculating for 5 card six-plus hold 'em where each player gets only 5 cards, straights rank higher than three-of-a-kind.
The 2018 Triton Poker tournament series hosted the first televised six-plus hold 'em tournaments. The first Triton Super High Roller HK$250,000 short deck ante-only event was won by Phil Ivey, earning him US$617,396. The 2018 Triton tournaments ranked straights higher than three-of-a-kind.
Modified hand rankings (5-card)
|3||Four of a kind|
|7||Three of a kind|
The game originated in 2014 and is popular among high stakes gamblers in Asia due to its high variance. In 2015, Phil Ivey and Tom Dwan promoted the game in an online video showing this variant of Texas hold 'em which is frequently played in Macau, Hong Kong and Manila.
- "Six Plus Hold'em". PokerVIP. 13 June 2015. Retrieved 2017-08-28.
- Gheorghe, Florain (14 March 2016). "The New Six Plus Holdem". PokerTube. Retrieved 2017-08-28.
- DellaFave, Robert (2016-02-25). "Six Plus Holdem Launches - How Will It Impact iPoker Liquidity?". Online Poker Report. Retrieved 2017-08-28.
- Fast, Erik (2018-05-14). "Phil Ivey Wins Triton Poker Montenegro $250,000 HKD Short Deck Event". cardplayer.com. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- CardsChat Tournament News (2018-05-14). "Phil Ivey Wins 'Short Deck' Poker Tournament in Montenegro for $605K". Cardschat. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Rettmuller, Charles (10 June 2015). ""Six Plus Hold'em" Promoted by Tom Dwan and Phil Ivey". PokerTube. Retrieved 2017-08-28.
- Weldon, Alex (2015-06-11). "What the Heck is Six-Plus Hold'em?". Part Time Poker. Retrieved 2017-08-28.