Safari Off Road Adventure
|Safari Off Road Adventure|
|Six Flags Great Adventure|
|Opening date||May 25, 2013|
|Replaced||Six Flags Wild Safari|
|Six Flags Wild Safari|
|Opening date||July 4, 1974|
|Closing date||September 30, 2012|
|Replaced by||Safari Off Road Adventure|
|Length||23,760 ft (7,240 m)|
|Site area||15,246,000 sq ft (1,416,400 m2)|
|Vehicle type||Former Army trucks, remodeled into open air safari vehicles|
|Riders per vehicle||31|
|Number of animals||1,200 (80 species)|
Safari Off Road Adventure is a safari attraction currently operating at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township, New Jersey. It replaced Six Flags Wild Safari which closed on September 30, 2012.
On August 20, 2012, it was announced that the park would be closed to private vehicles from September 30, 2012. Six Flags also announced that the animals would remain in the preserve. On August 30, 2012, Six Flags Great Adventure announced that they would be opening the Safari Off Road Adventure in 2013. Following Wild Safari's closure on September 30, 2012, construction began to renovate it to become the Safari Off Road Adventure. Safari Off Road Adventure opened May 25, 2013.
The former Wild Safari park covered 350 acres (1.4 km2) with the main road being 4.5 miles (7.2 km) long. It contained 11 themed sections, and was a home to 1200 animals from six different continents. With the 350 acres (1.4 km2) safari joining Great Adventure as one whole park in 2013, it will then make Six Flags Great Adventure the largest theme park in the world with 510 acres (2.1 km2). Also an up-charge zip line attraction where guest can soar over the animals.
Since its renovation, Safari Off Road Adventure retains the themed areas from Wild Safari. Additionally, midway through the tour passengers are able to disembark from the vehicles at an area called Camp Aventura. This section of the park contains much of Great Adventure's bird and reptile collection, while also offering guests an opportunity to feed giraffes. Safari Off Road Adventure is now one of Great Adventure's most popular rides; as a self drive-through attraction there had been little traffic through many hours of the day.
- "Safari Off Road Adventure". Six Flags. Retrieved August 30, 2012.
- "On safari! New wildlife adventures launched". Park World Magazine: 8. May 2013.
- Dw. Dunphy Email the author May 5, 2012 (May 5, 2012). "Relive Your Youth At Great Adventure - Bridgewater, NJ Patch". Bridgewater Patch. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- Brown, Jennifer. "Six Flags Wild Safari will stop allowing cars at end of season". The Star-Ledger. NJ.com. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- Perry, Wayne (31 August 2012). "Hold on tight! Tourists to zipline over wild animals". Herald Sun. Archived from the original on 31 August 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Stilton, Phil (October 1, 2012). "An End of an Era: A Final Look at the Six Flags Wild Safari as a Self Driven Attraction". Tom River News. Retrieved October 5, 2012.