Sixth Extraordinary Session of the Islamic Summit Conference
|Sixth Extraordinary Session of the Islamic Summit|
|Date||13 December 2017|
The Sixth Extraordinary Session of the Islamic Summit was a conference organized by the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul on 13 December 2017. This summit resulted "Istanbul Declaration on Freedom for Al Quds."
The summit was mainly organized in response to American President Donald Trump’s '6 December statement' to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and plan to move their embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
57 representatives of 57 member states of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation attended the summit, with 30 of 57 representatives are heads of state, and a specially invited head of state President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela. Amongst the heads of state were host leader Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas, Jordan's King Abdullah II; Lebanese president Michel Aoun, Iranian president Hassan Rouhani, Qatari emir Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Pakistani prime minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi and Bangladesh president Abdul Hamid.
Discussions focused on condemning the decision of President Trump on Al Quds (or Jerusalem) and defending the Palestinian Cause and Al Quds for the whole humanity. The Trump decision violated the international law as well as the UN resolutions with the UNSC resolution 478 on Jerusalem and disregards the historical, social and cultural facts of the Holy City.
The summit was closed with a final communique for more unity among Muslim countries in the joint decision of the summit concerning about condemnation of President Trump decision on Al Quds, and the illegal settlement in the occupied Palestinian territories, and strengthen the commitment to safeguarding the rights of the Palestinians in Al Quds. The summit also made a declaration to recognize East Jerusalem as Palestinian capital.
- Israel: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said "all these statements fail to impress us" in response to the declaration made by 57 representatives during the Muslim nations meeting.
- Turkey: President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan urged other countries outside OIC to recognize the State of Palestine, and added that Jerusalem is a 'red line' for Muslim who will reject any aggression on the Islamic sanctuaries. He also criticized Israel, calling it a terrorist state. After the summit, he planned to move Turkey's embassy from Tel Aviv to East Jerusalem.
- Palestine: President Mahmoud Abbas said that Donald Trump had committed the “greatest crime” with his declaration, and the Palestinians reject any role of the United States in peace talks with Israel.
- Iran: President Hassan Rouhani stated that "the United States is only seeking to secure the maximum interests of the Zionists and has no respect for the legitimate rights of Palestinians." He also criticized United States, calling it as not honest mediator in peace negotiation. On 27 December, the Iranian parliament voted for a bill that recognized Jerusalem as Palestinian capital.
- Muslim Leaders Declare East Jerusalem the Palestinian Capital New York Times
- "Istanbul Declaration On "Freedom For Al Quds"" (PDF). Istanbul: Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "PM arrives in Istanbul to attend OIC Summit on Jerusalem | Pakistan". thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Bangladesh President Hamid to join OIC special summit on Jerusalem". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- 'Muslim world to unite under Turkey's leadership' Anadolu Agency
- "Netanyahu: OIC Jerusalem statement fails to impress us". www.AlJazeera.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Erdogan says Jerusalem is the 'capital of Palestine'". DailyMail.co.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- http://www.washingtontimes.com, The Washington Times. "Turkey's Erdogan personally backs embassy shift to East Jerusalem". WashingtonTimes.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Rouhani, Hassan. "The recent decision by the US admin made it clear that the US is only seeking to secure the maximum interests of the Zionists and has no respect for the legitimate rights of Palestinians. The US has never been an honest mediator and will never be. #FreePalestine #OIC". Twitter.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Iran assembly recognizes Jerusalem as Palestine capital". Anadolu Agency. Retrieved 1 January 2018.