Sixty-second Texas Legislature
The 62nd Texas Legislature met from January 12, 1971, to May 31, 1971, in regular session, and again in four more special called sessions (see below). All members present during this session were elected in the 1970 general elections.
Regular Session: January 12, 1971 - May 31, 1971
1st Called Session: June 1, 1971 - June 4, 1971
2nd Called Session: March 28, 1972 - March 30, 1972
3rd Called Session: June 14, 1972 - July 7, 1972
4th Called Session: September 18, 1972 - October 17, 1972
- Lieutenant Governor: Ben Barnes, Democrat
- President Pro Tempore (regular session): Jack Hightower, Democrat
- President Pro Tempore (1st called session): Wallace E. "Pete" Snelson, Democrat
- President Pro Tempore (2nd called session): Barbara Jordan, Democrat
- President Pro Tempore (3rd called session): Chet Brooks, Democrat
- President Pro Tempore (4th called session): Wayne Connally, Democrat
- Speaker of the House: Gus Mutscher, Democrat. Gus Mutscher served as Speaker of the House until the Second Called Session of the Sixty-second Texas Legislature beginning on March 28, 1972, at which time he resigned as Speaker and Rayford Price was elected Speaker of the House and served until the end of the Sixty-second Texas Legislature.
The Legislature established the Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association.