|Genres||Opera, music theatre|
Sjaron Minailo is an Israeli Dutch opera director. He is the founder of Studio Minailo, an Amsterdam based studio for experimental opera, working throughout Europe in opera houses such as La Monnaie, Dutch National Opera, Bergen National Opera and Opera Poznan.
Minailo was born in 1979 in Arad, Israel to Soviet Union immigrants. During his schooling in the Thelma Yelin High School for the Arts, he received initial training as an actor. After completing his graduation, Minailo joined the University of Amsterdam for BA and MA in Theatre Studies. During his time at the University, he created a theatre group with co-students to work on the musical theatre before switching to opera.
Career in opera
After graduating, Minailo started working as a freelance director and was a director in residence for four years at the Dutch Chamber Opera House from 2008 to 2012. During that period and after, he has directed several music-theatre and opera production in commission or through his own studio. In 2016, he received a nomination in the Young Director category at 2016 International Opera Awards. Minailo's subsequent opera productions have included:
- Khadish, Israel, Germany, England and Belgium 2006
- Khadish I Erwartung, 2007
- A Prayer of The Heart, 2008
- Erwartung / Maeterlinck Lieder, 2008
- Elektra, 2009
- La Femme Humaine, 2009
- Gesprekken van de Ziel, 2009
- Exiles, 2009
- Elektra / Erwartung, 2010
- Amygdala, 2010
- De Cornet, 2010
- Saviour Sound, 2010
- A Stranger to Myself, 2010
- Container (film), 2011
- The Artist is Also Present, 2011
- Persona, 2011
- Dead class: Requiem, 2011
- Soul Seek (Internet Opera), 2012
- Traagheid, 2012
- The City Wears A Slouch Hat, 2012
- Nikola, 2012
- Pornographia, 2012
- Desired Constellations, 2013
- In Croce, 2013
- Victory Over The Sun, 2013
- Rothko Chapel, 2013
- Rothko Chapel Locations #2, 2014
- Alice, 2014
- Stars Like Sibilants Speak (music video), 2014
- Megalomania, 2014
- Mijn Liefste (music video), 2014
- Medulla, 2015
- Semele, 2015
- Three Voices For Joan La Barbara, 2015
- To Be Sung, 2016
- The Transmigration Of Morton F. (interactive Internet Opera), 2016
- In A Landscape, 2016
- Arariboy, 2016
- Before Present, 2016
- Tell Tale Heart, 2016
- Nachtschade: Aubergine, 2017
- Die Zauberflöte, 2017
- Tudo Aquilo Que Mais Eu Temia Desabou Sobre Minha Cabeça, 2017
- Soft Forces (music video), 2018
- Future Opera, 2018
- Commuter (music video), 2018
- Hippolyte et Aricie, 2019
- Il Diluvio Universale, 2019
- Little Girl (music video), 2019
- Retrotopia, 2019
- Intimate Letters, 2020
Minailo works as a design master at Sandberg Institute, Amsterdam and a tutor at University of Underground. He also work as a coach for young talents at Opera Forward Festival at the Dutch National Opera and Akademie voor Dans en Theater.
- Sulcas, Roslyn (2016-06-17). "Holland Festival Tackles the Enigma That Is Europe". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "Artistic Exchange Between Netherlands and Brazil | The Theatre Times". The Theatre Times. 2016-08-30. Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- "Sjaron Minailo". Maestro Arts. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- Bertina, Daniël (2011-07-27). "Ingmar Bergman wordt opera op Grachtenfestival". Cultuurpers (in Dutch). Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- Bertina, Daniël (2011-07-27). "Ingmar Bergman wordt opera op Grachtenfestival". Cultuurpers (in Dutch). Retrieved 2018-04-04.
- "Sjaron Minailo GNYP Art Advisory". www.martagnyp.com. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "'The Transmigration of Morton F.' is an Interactive, Browser-Based Opera". Creators. 2016-06-22. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "In a Landscape pakt het publiek". Opera Magazine. 2016-06-22. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "BBC Opera Season: Dame Felicity Palmer, Annilese Miskimmon, cutting edge opera, Music Matters - BBC Radio 3". BBC. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "Poets de tijdgeest van Die Zauberflöte niet schoon - Volkskrant". volkskrant (in Dutch). Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "MA Design of Experiences Programme - University of the Underground". University of the Underground. 2017-11-26. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "Before Present". Before Present | Dutch National Opera & Ballet. Retrieved 2018-04-03.