|Thesis||Conditional Optimization: an N-particle approach to protein structure refinement (2003)|
|Doctoral advisor||Piet Gros|
Scheres studied Chemistry at Utrecht University in The Netherlands, and spent nine months at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility in France for his undergraduate research thesis. He then came back to Utrecht University for his DPhil in Protein Crystallography, which was supervised by Piet Gros.
Scheres worked as a Postdoctoral researcher at the Spanish National Center for Biotechnology (CNB) with José Maria Carazo from 2003-2010, where he developed classification algorithms for Cryogenic electron microscopy (cryo-EM) images based on Maximum likelihood estimation. In 2010 Scheres was appointed as a group leader at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge. There, he extended his maximum-likelihood methods to a general Empirical Bayes method for Protein structure determination by cryo-EM, which he implemented in the computer program RELION. Besides developing algorithms for cryo-EM image processing, Scheres has also collaborated with experimental groups to solve several important protein structures. For example, Xiaochen Bai in his group solved the structure of human Gamma secretase  in a collaboration with Shi Yigong, and Anthony Fitzpatrick in his group solved the structure of Amyloid fibrils of Tau protein from the brain of an individual with Alzheimer's disease in a collaboration with Michel Goedert.
- Bijvoet medal of the Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research (2018)
- Elected EMBO Member (2017)
- Gold medal KNCV (2015)
- Nature's 10 who mattered in 2014
- "Sjors Scheres - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Sjors Scheres - MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology". MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- Scheres SH (2003). Conditional Optimization : An N-particle formalism for protein structure refinement (Thesis).
- Scheres SH, Gao H, Valle M, Herman GT, Eggermont PP, Frank J, Carazo JM (2007). "Disentangling Conformational States of Macromolecules in 3D-EM through Likelihood Optimization". Nature Methods. 4: 27–29. doi:10.1038/nmeth992. PMID 17179934.
- Scheres SH (2012). "A Bayesian view on cryo-EM structure determination". J. Mol. Biol. 415 (2): 406–18. doi:10.1016/j.jmb.2011.11.010. PMC 3314964. PMID 22100448.
- Scheres SH (2012). "RELION: implementation of a Bayesian approach to cryo-EM structure determination". J. Struct. Biol. 180 (3): 519–30. doi:10.1016/j.jsb.2012.09.006. PMC 3690530. PMID 23000701.
- Bai XC, Yan C, Yang G, Lu P, Ma D, Sun L, Zhou R, Scheres SH, Shi Y (2015). "An atomic structure of human gamma-secretase". Nature. 525 (7568): 212–17. Bibcode:2015Natur.525..212B. doi:10.1038/nature14892. PMC 4568306. PMID 26280335.
- Fitzpatrick AW, Falcon B, He S, Murzin AG, Murshudov G, Garringer HJ, Crowther RA, Ghetti B, Goedert M, Scheres SH (2017). "Cryo-EM structures of tau filaments from Alzheimer's disease". Nature. 547 (7662): 185–90. Bibcode:2017Natur.547..185F. doi:10.1038/nature23002. PMC 5552202. PMID 28678775.
- "Sjors Scheres - F1000Prime". f1000.com. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Editors for Structural Biology and Molecular Biophysics". eLife. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Sjors Scheres is awarded the Bijvoet Medal - MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology". MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology. 2018-04-27. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Sjors Scheres elected to EMBO membership - MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology". MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology. 2017-06-16. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Winners KNCV Gouden Medaille - KNCV English". en.kncv.nl. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- Callaway E (2014). "365 days: Nature's 10". Nature. 516 (7531): 311–19. Bibcode:2014Natur.516..311.. doi:10.1038/516311a.