Solskinsbyen (The Sunshine Town)
Skælskør[pronunciation?] is a town in Slagelse municipality on the Danish island of Zealand. The town has a population of 6,532 (1 January 2015). Administratively, the town is in Region Zealand (Region Sjælland) and is home to one of Denmark's largest breweries, the Harboe Brewery.
Historically it was a harbour for traffic between Zealand and Funen, but Korsør took over when the harbour there was settled. Skælskør Fjord is difficult to navigate, and was one of the last waters in Denmark that legally required a pilot on recreational boats.
- Andreas Bjørn (1703 in Skælskør – 1750) a Danish merchant, shipbuilder and ship owner
- Vilhelm Topsøe (1840 in Skælskør – 1881) a Danish novelist and journalist
- Haldor Topsøe (1842 in Skælskør – 1935 in Frederiksberg) a Danish chemist and crystallographer.
- Whigfield (born 1970 in Skælskør) aka Sannie Charlotte Carlson, singer of Saturday Night also lives there
- Karsten Nielsen (born 1973 in Skælskør) a Danish rower
- Pernille Rosenkrantz-Theil (born 1977 in Skælskør) a member of the Folketinget since 2011
- Abdi Hakin Ulad (born 1991) Danish track and field athlete and long-distance runner, participated for Denmark at the 2016 Summer Olympics, lives in Skælskør
|This Danish location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|