Sakles performing "Shaku Shaku" at the 24th edition of the Koroga Festival in December 2018
|Birth name||Raoul John Njeng-Njeng|
|Born||1 April 1991|
Kaduna State, Nigeria
Raoul John Njeng-Njeng (born 1 April 1991), better known by his stage name Skales (an acronym for Seek Knowledge Acquire Large Entrepreneurial Skills), is a Nigerian rapper, singer, and songwriter. In 2000, he started writing rap songs in Kaduna. Between 2007 and 2008, he travelled to Jos to work with Jesse Jagz and Jeremiah Gyang. In 2008, he entered the Zain Tru Search competition and won the competition's North Central region. His debut single "Must Shine" received numerous spin on the Rhythm FM stations in Lagos, Jos and Abuja. He later relocated to Lagos and signed a record deal with Empire Mates Entertainment (E.M.E) in 2009.
Skales has collaborated with numerous artists, including eLDee, Jeremiah Gyang, Banky W. and Knighthouse. His well-known songs include "Shake Body", "Mukulu", "Keresimesi", "Komole", "My Baby", "Take Care of Me" and "Denge Pose". After leaving E.M.E in May 2014, Skales set up the independent OHK Music record label. His debut album Man of the Year was released in 2015.
Life and career
Skales was born and raised in Kaduna State, but originated from Edo State.. He grew up in a single-parent household with his mother, who did menial jobs to nurture him. Skales became interested in music while regularly attending his mother's cassette store. He met producers Jeremiah Gyang and Jesse Jagz while attending the University of Jos (Unijos). He took part in the Zain Tru Search Competition during his time at Unijos and won the competition's North Central region. Skales left Unijos his junior year and attended Lead City University, where he graduated with a degree in office management and technology. His debut single "Must Shine" was released to critical acclaim. In an interview with This Day newspaper in 2013, Skales described himself as an entertainer whose music is influenced by his surroundings. His 2009 release "Heading for a Grammy" was inspired by Kanye West's "Jesus Walks". The experiences he was going through at the time helped shape the scope of the song, which is an ode to self empowerment.
2009–14: Empire Mates Entertainment
Skales signed a record deal with E.M.E after meeting Banky W. in 2009. He released the singles "Mukulu" and "Keresimesi" simultaneously. Both songs were produced by Sarz and released under the outfit. The music video for the latter was directed by Clarence Peters and uploaded onto YouTube on 28 November 2011. Skales was one of the main acts on E.M.E's debut compilation album, Empire Mates State of Mind (2012). He collaborated with Banky W., Wizkid, Shaydee, Niyola and DJ Xclusive on five of the album's seven singles. He also toured with some of the aforementioned acts on the EME US Tour, which kicked off on 4 July 2012 and ended on 2 September 2012. E.M.E acts performed in several different cities, including Houston, Dallas, Toronto, Vancouver, New York City, Providence, Calgary, Atlanta, Washington DC and Chicago. Skales supported Wizkid on his tour of London in 2012. On 17 October 2013, Skales performed at the 2013 edition of Felabration, a yearly concert dedicated to the late Fela Kuti. In February 2014, Vanguard newspaper reported that Skales left E.M.E following the expiration of his four-year recording contract. E.M.E executives believed they were not getting remunerated for investing in him and refused to renew his contract.
OHK Music establishment
In May 2014, Skales established his own record label, OHK music. The label is home to producer Drey Beatz and has affiliations with other music personnel within Nigeria. On 6 May 2014, Skales released the Jay Pizzle-produced "Shake Body" as the lead single from his debut album Man of the Year. The accompanying music video for the song was uploaded on 22 July 2014 onto YouTube. Skales promoted the song by announcing the Shake Body video competition. It was reported that Skales signed a record deal with Timaya's Dem Mama Records following his departure from E.M.E. In February 2014, Skales debunked the reports and said he didn't sign with Dem Mama Records.
- Studio albums
- Man of the Year (2015)
- The Never Say Never Guy (2017)
- Mr Love (2018)
- Compilation albums
- Empire Mates State of Mind (2012)
|"Bo Se Se Mi"|
|Non album single|
|"Thank God It's Christmas"|
|2010||"God's Love"||The Return of Jeremiah|
|"Meet Me at the Top"
(LayLow featuring Iceberg Slim, CartiAir, Modenine, Terry ThaRapman, Skales, Vector, Da Grin, Ludu and Gino)
|Non album single|
|"Move Your Body"
(DJ KaySmith featuring Skales)
|Naija Hottest Singles Vol 1 Mixtape|
(Samklef featuring Skales)
(Leo Wonder featuring Skales)
|Non album single|
|"Mary Jane" |
(Christine Ben-Ameh featuring Skales)
|2011||"Fall Back" |
(Beazy featuring Pope, Loose Kaynon and Skales)
|"Eguono (Remix)" |
(Kefee featuring Skales)
|"Superstar Remix" |
(CONtradiction featuring Skales)
|"My Money (Remix)" |
(Sheyman featuring eLDee and Skales)
(El Phlex featuring Sheyman and Skales)
|School of Thoughts|
|"Oju Kan (Remix)"
(Tupengo featuring Skales, Seriki, Reminisce, Phenom, Kel and Patoranking)
|Non album single|
- "Singer Skales Floats Record Label". P.M. News. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "Skales Biography "Raoul John Njeng-Njeng" (Nigerian Music Artist)". Nigerianmusicnetwork. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Skale's Biography & Updated profile – Latest Albums & Songs of Skales – Recent Pictures & Videos of Skale". Pulse. 11 March 2014. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- Akan, Joey (20 February 2015). "Singer soon to release album, 'Man of the year'". Pulse. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Ayomide, O Tayo (9 September 2017). "Singer says he and Wizkid not friends". Pulseng. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- Adeniran, Bisola (15 August 2012). ""My mother sold sugarcane and bread to give me the best" – EME Rapper, Skales". Daily Post Newspaper. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- Young, Karen Eloke (19 May 2013). "Skales... Just A Moment". This Day. Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "I do not envy Wizkid –Skales". Daily Times of Nigeria. Archived from the original on 9 August 2014. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- Okon, Anna (20 October 2013). "I run from female fans – Skales". Punch. Archived from the original on 14 April 2014. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Nigerian Hip Hop: New Kids On The Block". P.M. News. 9 March 2012. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- Boafo, Nana (24 November 2011). "E.M.E RAP STAR SKALES UNVEILS TWO NEW SINGLES "MUKULU" & "KERESIMESI" …. Videos to be released soon". Modern Ghana. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Empire Mates Entertainment take on America". MTV Base. 10 July 2012. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Dayo, Alayande. "Banky W, Wizkid, Skales, Others Kick Off EME US Tour". The Nigerian Voice. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Onos, O. "BN Bytes: The EME – Wizkid UK Takeover | Watch Day 2, 3 & 4 of Wizkid's UK Tour Diary". Bellanaija. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- "(VIDEO) : Wizkid, Skales, Sean Tizzle, Orezi Perform @ FELABRATION 2013". wadupnaija.com. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- Mgbolu, Charles (21 February 2014). "Skales leaves E.M.E". Vanguard. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Nigeria: Why EME, Skales Parted Ways !". allAfrica.com. 22 February 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Skales sets up record label". The Nigerian Tribune. 9 May 2014. Archived from the original on 11 August 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- Opeoluwani, Akintayo (22 February 2014). "Skales Denies Rumour Reports". Daily Times of Nigeria. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Skales denies signing with Timaya's Dem Mama Records". thenet.ng. 22 February 2014. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Akintayo, Opeoluwani (30 December 2011). "EME's Skales escapes death". Vanguard. Retrieved 31 July 2014.