Order of Skanderbeg (1990–)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Order of Skanderbeg|
Current breast star of the order
|Awarded by the President of Albania|
|Type||Order of merit|
|Eligibility||Albanians, foreign nationals |
|Awarded for||Important contributions or specific heroic acts for the defense, strengthening and advancement of the Republic of Albania|
|Head||President of Albania|
|Chancellor||Prime Minister of Albania|
The Order of Skanderbeg or the "George Kastrioti Skanderbeg" Order (Albanian: Urdhri "Gjergj Kastrioti Skënderbeu") is a high honorary state decoration that is currently given in Albania to Albanian and foreign citizens that have made an important contribution to the defence, reinforcement and development of the Republic of Albania.
The name refers to Skanderbeg, who is the national hero of the Albanian people. The Order of Skanderbeg is granted by the President of Albania. It should not be confused with the royal Order of Skanderbeg, which is a dynastic order bestowed by the Albanian royal family.
Some recipients to date include:
- Albania - Fatos Nano, former Prime Minister of Albania (decorated by proposal of President Alfred Moisiu)
- United States - Colin Powell, retired US General, former Secretary of State (decorated on 1 May 2003 by proposal of President Alfred Moisiu)
- France - Comte Jean d'Ogny (Commander) (2008)
- Albania - Azem Hajdari, assassinated Albanian politician (decorated posthumously by proposal of President Bamir Topi on 10 September 2008)
- Kosovo - Fatmir Sejdiu, President of Kosovo (decorated by President Bamir Topi on 3 November 2008)
- Albania - Sabri Hamiti, Albanian writer and scholar from Kosovo (decorated by President Bamir Topi on 10 May 2010)
- Qatar - Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of Qatar (decorated by President Bamir Topi on 18 October 2011) 
- Kuwait - Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, Emir of Kuwait (decorated by President of Albania Bamir Topi on 27 May 2012) 
- Albania - Sabri Godo, writer, screenwriter, politician. (decorated by President of Albania Bujar Nishani on December 12, 2012)
- Kosovo - Ramush Haradinaj, former Prime Minister of Kosovo
- United Arab Emirates - Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, UAE Foreign Minister (decorated by President of Albania Bujar Nishani on 14 March 2014)
- United Kingdom - Anthony Bailey, interfaith campaigner.
- Israel - Yuli-Yoel Edelstein, politician.
- United States - Rosemary DiCarlo, American diplomat.
- Germany - Doris Pack, German politician, President of EPP Women and former Member of the European Parliament 1989-2014.
- Croatia - Aleksandar Stipčević, Croatian-Albanian historian and archaeologist.
- Italy - Laura Boldrini, President of the Chamber of Deputies of Italy
- Albania Montenegro - Cafo Beg Ulqini, former Mayor of Ulqin, Leader of Second League of Prizren (decorated by proposal of President Bujar Nishani in April 2016)
- United Kingdom - Henry Brooke, retired Court of Appeal judge
- Germany - Rudolf Decker , former Member of Landtag of Baden-Württemberg, and Chair of the Foundation for Basic Values and International Understanding  (awarded by President Bujar Nishani in June 2017)
-  Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived October 10, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived October 22, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- [dead link]
- "Presidenti Nishani dekoron zotin Ramush Haradinaj me Urdhrin "Gjergj Kastrioti Skënderbeu" | President". President.al. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Abdullah honoured with highest civilian order by Albanian President; Gulf Today". gulftoday.ae. 2014-03-14. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Ka vdekur Aleksandar Stipçeviq" [Aleksandar Stipčević passed away] (in Albanian). Zeri Online. 2015-09-01.