Number of locations
|Revenue||US$7.44 billion (2022)|
|US$546.7 million (2022)|
|US$373 million (2022)|
|Total assets||US$7.2 billion (2023)|
Number of employees
|c. 15,100 (2022)|
|Footnotes / references|
Skechers USA, Inc. is an American multinational footwear company. Headquartered in Manhattan Beach, California, it was founded in 1992 and is the third largest footwear brand in the United States.
Skechers was founded in 1992 by Robert Greenberg, who had previously founded LA Gear in 1983 (he stepped down as CEO of that company the same year he founded Skechers). Greenberg sought to focus on men's street shoes; Skechers' early products were utility-style boots popular in grunge fashion. The company quickly expanded to include women and children, with casual and athletic styles, and went public in 1999. In 2011, Skechers launched its performance sportswear line for athletes and signed Meb Keflezighi as a spokesman.
Skechers is the third largest footwear brand in the United States by revenue. In January 2019, the company started an expansion of its corporate headquarters to double its office, design and showroom space in the South Bay. In 2023, Skechers had its debut on the Fortune 500.
In 2012, Skechers agreed to settle a class action lawsuit for $40 million based on a U.S. Federal Trade Commission complaint that it had misled customers with its Shape-Ups rocker bottom shoe ads. In 2019, Nike filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Skechers because, according to Nike, Skechers had infringed on the design of their VaporMax and Air Max 270 sneakers.
Forced labor investigation
In 2021, French prosecutors launched an investigation into whether Skechers and other brands had concealed or profited from forced Uyghur labor. Skechers has found no evidence of forced labor taking place.
Products and advertising
Skechers designs, develops and markets a range of lifestyle and performance footwear, apparel and accessories for adults and children. Its brands include Skechers Sport, Slip-ins, D'Lites, the charity line Bobs, Mark Nason, Skechers Work, Go Walk, Go Run, and Go Golf. Since 2020, select shoes have utilized Goodyear rubber.
Skechers has promoted its products with celebrities including singers Ava Max and Cha Eun-woo; television personalities Martha Stewart, Brooke Burke, and Amanda Kloots; baseball player Clayton Kershaw and boxer Sugar Ray Leonard; footballers Jamie Redknapp and Michael Ballack; and American football players Tony Romo, Howie Long, and Cris Carter. Skechers Performance has featured distance runner Meb Keflezighi and professional golfers Brooke Henderson and Matt Fitzpatrick.
Skechers has been a partner of W Racing Team (WRT) in sports car racing, including former MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi, since 2021. WRT's parent company, Weerts Group, services Skechers' European distribution center in Liège, Belgium.
In 2022, the brand expanded into pickleball, signing several of the sport's top players and sponsoring the first nationally televised pickleball tournament in the U.S. In August 2023, Skechers announced a move into soccer, with a new boot, the SKX 01 model, worn and promoted by England national football team player and top scorer Harry Kane.
Show biz and TV
Skechers launched its Skechers Foundation in 2010. Skechers and the Friendship Foundation host an annual walk in Manhattan Beach to raise money for a nonprofit that helps connect special-needs students with their peers.
Skechers donates new shoes to children in need worldwide through its Bobs charity program. The shoes support Head Start programs, education foundations, homeless shelters, disaster relief and 501(c)(3) organizations. Bobs also support animal welfare groups including Petco Love and Woodgreen Pets Charity.
- Hydee and the Hytops: The Movie (2011)
- Twinkle Toes (2012)
- Twinkle Toes Lights Up New York (2016)
- "Form 10-K" (PDF). Skechers U.S.A., Inc. 2023-02-28. Retrieved 2023-03-02.
- "Skechers Announces Third Quarter 2023 Financial Results and Record Quarterly Sales of $2.02 Billion". Skechers U.S.A., Inc. October 26, 2023. Retrieved 2023-11-10.
- Bettner, Jill (October 26, 1993). "Robert Greenberg, founder of L.A. Gear, has launched a company that's building sales from the popularity of trendy 'Doc' Martens". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on January 15, 2020. Retrieved January 14, 2020.
- Grant, Tina (February 14, 2000). International Directory of Company Histories. Vol. 31. Detroit, Michigan: St. James Press. ISBN 978-1-55862-390-3. OL 8607051M – via Funding Universe.
- Trivedi, Kruti (2000-07-18). "Trying a New Shoe on for Size; Can Owners of Skechers Learn From Their Mistakes?". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2023-02-03.
- Boren, Cindy (April 22, 2014). "Skechers beats Nike in Boston Marathon". The Washington Post. Archived from the original on Aug 21, 2022. Retrieved 2022-08-28.
- "US Athletic Footwear Market Report". NPD Group. February 6, 2018. Archived from the original on January 27, 2021. Retrieved 2022-10-04.
- Goddiess, Samantha (Aug 22, 2022). "The 10 Largest Shoe Brands In The United States". Zippia. Retrieved 2022-10-04.
- Carballo, Charlie (2019-01-14). "Skechers Plans to Grow Talent, Categories After Breaking Ground on Corporate Office Expansion". Footwear News. Retrieved 2022-10-16.
- Ciment, Shoshy (2023-06-05). "Lululemon and Skechers Join Fortune 500 List as Female CEOs Prove Staying Power". Footwear News. Retrieved 2023-06-25.
- Dina Elboghdady (2012-05-16). "Skechers agrees to $40 million settlement for claims about shoes' benefits". The Washington Post. Archived from the original on 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- Kish, Matthew (October 4, 2019). "Nike again sues Skechers over alleged knockoff sneakers". Portland Business Journal. Archived from the original on 2020-10-25. Retrieved 2020-09-17.
- Paton, Elizabeth; Gallois, Léontine; Breeden, Aurelien (2021-07-02). "Fashion Retailers Face Inquiry Over Suspected Ties to Forced Labor in China". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Archived from the original on 2021-07-03. Retrieved 2021-07-04.
- Henley, Jon (July 2, 2021). "France investigates fashion brands over forced Uyghur labour claims". The Guardian. Archived from the original on July 3, 2021. Retrieved July 4, 2021.
- Chua, Jasmin Malik (2021-04-19). "Inditex, Uniqlo, Skechers Battle Forced Labor Allegations". Sourcing Journal. Retrieved 2022-09-30.
- Goist, Robin (2020-02-27). "Skechers partners with Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. on line of sneakers". The Plain Dealer. Archived from the original on 2021-11-19. Retrieved 2022-05-14.
- Mack, Gordon (September 6, 2017). "Edward Cheserek Signs With Skechers". Flotrack. Archived from the original on October 13, 2019. Retrieved 2022-05-25.
- Hu, Zoe (2022-08-23). "Skechers signs Myleene Klass as brand ambassador". Drapers. Retrieved 2022-08-25.
- "Skechers launches K-Pop idol Cha Eun-Woo as new regional brand ambassador". BusinessMirror. 2023-01-12. Retrieved 2023-01-20.
- Garner, Stephen (2022-03-28). "Martha Stewart Lands Another Shoe Gig as a Skechers Ambassador". Footwear News. Archived from the original on 2022-03-29. Retrieved 2022-03-30.
- Dutter, Greg (2021-06-08). "Skechers Signs German Soccer Legend to Endorsement Deal". Footwear Plus Magazine. Retrieved 2022-08-25.
- "Marathon Superstar Reups His Partnership With Skechers". Fortune. Archived from the original on 2018-07-13. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- Bell, Jennie (2023-02-07). "Skechers & Snoop Dogg Get Sky-High in Super Bowl 2023 Ad". Footwear News. Retrieved 2023-02-20.
- Chochrek, Ella (2 March 2019). "Skechers Takes a Direct Hit at Nike's Shoe Explosion Incident With New Ad". Footwear News. Archived from the original on 28 March 2019. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- Clay, Jennifer (17 March 2022). "Skechers Expands Sponsorship With Team WRT in Second Year of High-Speed Deal" (Press release). Los Angeles: Skechers USA, Inc. Business Wire. Retrieved 2023-06-27.
- Chen, I-Chun (Aug 9, 2022). "Skechers sponsoring nationally televised professional pickleball tournament". L.A. Business First. Retrieved 2022-08-10.
- "Skechers Launch Football Boots". FootballBoots. 17 August 2023. Retrieved 18 August 2023.
- "Bayern Munich star Harry Kane announces new Skechers boot deal and pair could be yours for eye-watering sum". talkSPORT. August 17, 2023. Retrieved 2023-08-17.
- "2018 PGA Merchandise Show: Skechers golf show review". Golf Channel. Archived from the original on 2018-07-13. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- "Skechers enjoys a 'win-win' at Solheim Cup". Golf Business News. Sep 14, 2021. Retrieved 2022-08-10.
- Horan, Christie (March 7, 2016). "Skechers Performance Signs Pro Golfers". FDRA. Archived from the original on 2021-06-21. Retrieved 2022-06-22.
- "Matt Atkins Wins His First Web.com Victory at the El Bosque Mexico Championship". businesswire. 2017-05-02. Retrieved 2022-06-22.
- "More Players Sign With Skechers". Footy Headlines. September 29, 2023. Retrieved 2023-09-29.
- "No More Puma: Zinchenko to Join Skechers - Become the Skechers Razor Boots Ambassador??". Footy Headlines. October 28, 2023. Retrieved 2023-10-28.
- Benson, Pat (October 25, 2023). "Skechers Makes Big Splash to Start NBA Season". FanNation. Retrieved 2023-11-10.
- "About the Walk". SKECHERS Friendship Walk. Archived from the original on 2020-05-26. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "Skechers Pier to Pier Friendship Walk funds special student relationships". Daily Breeze. 2017-10-28. Archived from the original on 2018-07-13. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- Polk, Andy. "BOBS From Skechers Footwear Donations Surpass 16 Million Pairs". FDRA. Archived from the original on 2021-01-24. Retrieved 2022-05-14.
- Stabile, Angelica (2022-11-02). "BOBS from Skechers donates to North American animal shelters with every purchase". Fox Business. Retrieved 2022-11-24.
- Keslassy, Elsa (2010-04-20). "Skechers makes strides into film". Variety. Archived from the original on 2022-03-23. Retrieved 2022-03-23.
- "Twinkle Toes Franchise Box Office History". The Numbers. Archived from the original on 2022-03-19. Retrieved 2022-03-19.