Number of locations
|Revenue||US$6.285 billion (2021)|
|US$582.2 million (2021)|
|US$741.5 million (2021)|
|Total assets||US$6.679 billion (2022)|
Number of employees
|c. 11,700 (2022)|
|Footnotes / references|
Skechers USA, Inc. is an American multinational footwear company. Headquartered in Manhattan Beach, California, the brand was founded in 1992 and is now the third largest footwear brand in the United States.
Skechers was founded in 1992 by Robert Greenberg, who had previously founded LA Gear in 1983 (he stepped down as CEO of that company the same year he founded Skechers). Greenberg sought to focus on men's street shoes; Skechers' early products were utility-style boots popular in grunge fashion. The company quickly expanded to include women and children, with casual and athleisure styles, and went public in 1999. In 2011, Skechers launched its line for high-performance athletes and signed Meb Keflezighi as a spokesman.
Skechers is the third largest footwear brand in the United States. In January 2019, the company started an expansion of its corporate headquarters to double its office, design and showroom space in the South Bay.
In 2012, Skechers agreed to settle a class action lawsuit for $40 million based on a U.S. Federal Trade Commission complaint that it had misled customers with its Shape-Ups ads. In 2019, Nike filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Skechers because, according to Nike, Skechers had infringed on the design of their VaporMax and Air Max 270 sneakers.
Forced labor investigation
In 2021, French prosecutors launched an investigation into whether Skechers and other brands had concealed or profited from forced Uyghur labor. Skechers has found no evidence of forced labor taking place.
Products and advertising
The company designs, develops and markets a range of lifestyle and performance footwear, apparel and accessories for adults and children; brands include Skechers Sport, Uno, D'Lites, the charity line Bobs, Our Planet Matters, Mark Nason, Skechers Work, Go Walk, Go Run, and Go Golf. Since 2020, select shoes have utilized Goodyear rubber.
Skechers has promoted its products with celebrities including musicians Britney Spears, Ava Max and Willie Nelson; television personalities Martha Stewart, Brooke Burke, and Amanda Kloots; baseball player Clayton Kershaw and boxer Sugar Ray Leonard; footballers Jamie Redknapp and Michael Ballack; and American football players Tony Romo, Howie Long, and Cris Carter. Skechers Performance has featured distance runner Meb Keflezighi and professional golfers Brooke Henderson and Matt Fitzpatrick.
On February 3, 2021, Skechers launched a commercial campaign titled "To the Max" featuring Tony Romo to put into the Super Bowl. The brand returned to the game on February 13, 2022, with two commercials: "On the Road" and "Legalize" featuring Willie Nelson.
Skechers launched its Skechers Foundation in 2010. Skechers and the Friendship Foundation host an annual walk in Manhattan Beach to raise money for a nonprofit that helps connect special-needs students with their peers.
Skechers has donated more than 16 million pairs of new shoes to children in need worldwide through its Bobs charity program. The shoes support Head Start programs, education foundations, homeless shelters, disaster relief and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations. The brand has also raised over $9 million to help Petco Love, Woodgreen, and other animal welfare groups.
- Twinkle Toes (2012)
- Hydee and the Hytops: The Movie (2013)
- Twinkle Toes Lights Up New York (2016)
- "Skechers Financial Results, Year ending December 31, 2021" (PDF). Retrieved Feb 28, 2022.
- "Skechers Investors Site". Investors.skx.com. Archived from the original on 29 January 2021. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- Bettner, Jill (October 26, 1993). "Robert Greenberg, founder of L.A. Gear, has launched a company that's building sales from the popularity of trendy 'Doc' Martens". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on January 15, 2020. Retrieved January 14, 2020.
- "History of Skechers U.S.A. Inc". FundingUniverse. Archived from the original on 21 May 2012. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- Boren, Cindy (April 22, 2014). "Skechers beats Nike in Boston Marathon". The Washington Post. Archived from the original on Aug 21, 2022. Retrieved 2022-08-28.
- "US Athletic Footwear Market Report". NPD Group. February 6, 2018. Archived from the original on January 27, 2021. Retrieved 2022-10-04.
- Goddiess, Samantha (Aug 22, 2022). "The 10 Largest Shoe Brands In The United States". Zippia. Retrieved 2022-10-04.
- Carballo, Charlie (2019-01-14). "Skechers Plans to Grow Talent, Categories After Breaking Ground on Corporate Office Expansion". Footwear News. Retrieved 2022-10-16.
- Dina Elboghdady (2012-05-16). "Skechers agrees to $40 million settlement for claims about shoes' benefits". The Washington Post. Archived from the original on 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- Kish, Matthew (October 4, 2019). "Nike again sues Skechers over alleged knockoff sneakers". Portland Business Journal. Archived from the original on 2020-10-25. Retrieved 2020-09-17.
- Paton, Elizabeth; Gallois, Léontine; Breeden, Aurelien (2021-07-02). "Fashion Retailers Face Inquiry Over Suspected Ties to Forced Labor in China". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Archived from the original on 2021-07-03. Retrieved 2021-07-04.
- Henley, Jon (July 2, 2021). "France investigates fashion brands over forced Uyghur labour claims". The Guardian. Archived from the original on July 3, 2021. Retrieved July 4, 2021.
- Chua, Jasmin Malik (2021-04-19). "Inditex, Uniqlo, Skechers Battle Forced Labor Allegations". Sourcing Journal. Retrieved 2022-09-30.
- Goist, Robin (2020-02-27). "Skechers partners with Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. on line of sneakers". The Plain Dealer. Archived from the original on 2021-11-19. Retrieved 2022-05-14.
- Mack, Gordon (September 6, 2017). "Edward Cheserek Signs With Skechers". Flotrack. Archived from the original on October 13, 2019. Retrieved 2022-05-25.
- Hu, Zoe (2022-08-23). "Skechers signs Myleene Klass as brand ambassador". Drapers. Retrieved 2022-08-25.
- Goldstein, Tiffany (February 13, 2022). "Willie Nelson Stars In Two Super Bowl Commercials For Skechers And Calls To "Legalize Comfort"". CMT News. Archived from the original on April 4, 2022. Retrieved March 30, 2022.
- Garner, Stephen (2022-03-28). "Martha Stewart Lands Another Shoe Gig as a Skechers Ambassador". Footwear News. Archived from the original on 2022-03-29. Retrieved 2022-03-30.
- Dutter, Greg (2021-06-08). "Skechers Signs German Soccer Legend to Endorsement Deal". Footwear Plus Magazine. Retrieved 2022-08-25.
- "Skechers puts Tony Romo in another Super Bowl spot". Ad Age. 2021-02-03. Archived from the original on 2022-04-03. Retrieved 2021-02-03.
- "Marathon Superstar Reups His Partnership With Skechers". Fortune. Archived from the original on 2018-07-13. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- Chochrek, Ella (2 March 2019). "Skechers Takes a Direct Hit at Nike's Shoe Explosion Incident With New Ad". Footwear News. Archived from the original on 28 March 2019. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- Chen, I-Chun (Aug 9, 2022). "Skechers sponsoring nationally televised professional pickleball tournament". L.A. Business First. Retrieved 2022-08-10.
- "2018 PGA Merchandise Show: Skechers golf show review". Golf Channel. Archived from the original on 2018-07-13. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- "Skechers enjoys a 'win-win' at Solheim Cup". Golf Business News. Sep 14, 2021. Retrieved 2022-08-10.
- Horan, Christie (March 7, 2016). "Skechers Performance Signs Pro Golfers". FDRA. Archived from the original on 2021-06-21. Retrieved 2022-06-22.
- "Matt Atkins Wins His First Web.com Victory at the El Bosque Mexico Championship". businesswire. 2017-05-02. Retrieved 2022-06-22.
- "About the Walk". SKECHERS Friendship Walk. Archived from the original on 2020-05-26. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "Skechers Pier to Pier Friendship Walk funds special student relationships". Daily Breeze. 2017-10-28. Archived from the original on 2018-07-13. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- Polk, Andy. "BOBS From Skechers Footwear Donations Surpass 16 Million Pairs". FDRA. Archived from the original on 2021-01-24. Retrieved 2022-05-14.
- Stabile, Angelica (2022-11-02). "BOBS from Skechers donates to North American animal shelters with every purchase". Fox Business. Retrieved 2022-11-24.
- Keslassy, Elsa (2010-04-20). "Skechers makes strides into film". Variety. Archived from the original on 2022-03-23. Retrieved 2022-03-23.
- "Twinkle Toes Franchise Box Office History". The Numbers. Archived from the original on 2022-03-19. Retrieved 2022-03-19.