|Single by Davido|
|Released||August 13, 2013|
|Davido singles chronology|
Cover for UK version
"Skelewu" is a song by Nigerian singer Davido. It was released as the third single from his upcoming album. The song was produced by Shizzi, HKN Music's in-house producer. It peaked at number 1 on Afribiz's Top 100 chart. The song was ranked 5th on Premium Times list of the Top 10 songs of 2013. It gained popularity in Nigeria after Davido announced the Skelewu dance competition. The song was endorsed by African footballers Emmanuel Adebayor and Samuel Eto'o.
Instructional video/dance competition
To promote the song, Davido uploaded an instructional dance video of "Skelewu" onto YouTube on August 18, 2013. The video was directed by Jassy Generation. The release of the instructional video accompany the announcement of the Skelewu dance competitionIn. In order to win the competition, participants were told to watch the instructional dance video and upload videos of themselves dancing to the song. According to Pulse, the number of dance videos uploaded to YouTube by fans aggregated to over 100,000 views. On October 10, 2013, Davido declared Bello Moshood Abiola the winner of the competition, tweeting: "Congrats my lil bro kiddy!! Won the 3k dollars skelewu competition .. I’m gonna change this kids life!! More things to come kiddy!!" Abiola received a sum of $3,000 from Davido.
There were two music videos released after Davido released the instructional dance video of Skelewu. The first music video, directed by Sesan, was released on October 15, 2013. It was uploaded onto YouTube under "DAVID-O HKNMUSIC", a parody account. Shortly after the release of the music video, fans of Davido took to Twitter to belittle the video. They claimed that it wasn't up to par.
|“||The song is big already; so whatever we do people are still going to talk anyway. I shot the video like a movie and there are three videos, so people can watch whichever one they want. If you don’t like the instructional video, you can watch Sesan’s, if you don’t like that one; you can watch Moe Musa’s. If people want, I will shoot one more video, it’s not easy. When the first video leaked they said they didn’t like it. Everyone knew that we were about to shoot, and he (Sesan), had the video. So it may not be him that leaked it. But we have since apologised to his camp and everybody.||”|
|— Davido, on "Skelewu"|
Davido told fans to disregard the unauthorized release of the video. Moreover, he told fans that the official music video for "Skelewu" would be shot and directed by Moe Musa. Sesan broke his silence in a statement released by his team. He said: "My attention is drawn toward the chaos surrounding the release of the Skelewu video. I and my team shot the video for Davido in Nigeria and to the best of my knowledge, my client and his team were very happy with the result, when they watched and approved the video. If he has since had a change of heart, that is okay. I am not in any way responsible for the release of the video. I believe Davido and myself did a very good job regarding the video production and as a professional of over 10 years. I find it very irresponsible and immature if my client and his management publicly put out false statements and comments, in an attempt to tarnish my name, credibility and reputation. I remain dedicated, humble, focused and as hard working as ever." On October 21, 2013, Davido and HKN Music released the official music video for the song. After the release of the video, Davido received numerous criticism from people who felt that the video resembles the music video to LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem". According to Vanguard, the number of people who disliked the official music video almost equate those who disliked the alternative video. Moe Musa, reacting to fans' condemnation of the official video, said: "Love it or hate it, it’s your issue not mine… All you haters out there are full of s**t, lol." There were reports that Davido wasn't pleased with Moe Musa's video and as a result, he was looking forward to shooting another music video with Clarence Peters.
The music videos for "Skelewu" were met with mixed reviews. Olori Supergal said, "A good music video is like great sex, after a marriage to a beautiful woman. What I can deduct is that Sesan’s work is in progress. It was the piecing of random dance clips; wrong dance clips, coloured and graded and given to us, thirsty fans of ‘Skelewu’ to savour. Hungry for something, we have eaten and we are afraid to say it doesn’t taste as expected."
A writer for Afrobeat360 applauded Moe Musa for the video, stating: "I must credit Mr. Moe Musa for this compelling and masterfully directed video, which holds a ‘28 days Later the movie and Party Rockers Anthem Theme’ the inspired theme to it. The setting, location, narrative and choreography has been cunningly put together to achieve stunning cinematography. I very much visualize myself reviewing this video again in about five years time and dubbing it as one of Afrobeats most classic videos."
"Skelewu" was nominated for Song of the Year at the 2014 MTV Africa Music Awards. The music video for "Skelewu" was nominated for Best Music Video of the Year at the 2014 Nigeria Entertainment Awards. Skelewu was nominated in the Song of the Year and Best Dance in a Video categories at the 2014 African Muzik Magazine Awards. The music video for "Skelewu" was also nominated for Most Gifted Dance at the 2014 Channel O Music Video Awards.
|Year||Awards ceremony||Award description(s)||Results|
|2014||Channel O Music Video Awards||Most Gifted Dance||Nominated|
|Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Best Music Video of the Year (artist and director)||Nominated|
|African Muzik Magazine Awards||Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Dance in a Video||Nominated|
|MTV Africa Music Awards 2014||Song of the Year||Nominated|
On November 3, 2013, Davido performed "Skelewu" at the "Guinness Colourful World of More" concert alongside numerous artists, including P-Square, D'banj, Wizkid, Ice Prince, Burna Boy, Olamide, Phyno, Chidinma, Waje and Tiwa Savage. The concert occurred at the Eko Convention Centre of the Eko Hotel and Suites in Victoria Island, Lagos. On December 17, 2013, Davido performed "Skelewu" alongside Burna Boy at the 2013 edition of the Rivers State cultural and tourism carnival, Carniriv; the concert was held in Port Harcourt at the Liberation Stadium. On December 30, 2013, Davido performed the song in front of 16,000 people who attended Calabar Rocks, a concert sponsored by the Calabar Carnival Commission.
Track listing and remixes
|2.||"Skelewu Remix (Unofficial Remix)" (Sudan featuring Davido)||3:33|
|3.||"Banana [Skelewu Remix]" (by Mr. Flo)||Mr. Flo||3:09|
|4.||"Skelewu Remix [Cameroon]" (by SK Boys)||SK Boys||3:39|
|5.||"Skelewu Afro Jazz Remix" (performed by YemiSax)||David Adeleke||3:09|
|6.||"Sielewi (Skelewu Remix)" (by Leo Mysterio)||Leo Mysterio||3:08|
|7.||"Kanaku (Skelewu Cover)" (by Lyrikal)||Lyrikal||2:22|
|8.||"Skelewu (Major Lazer and Wiwek Remix)" (by Major Lazer and Wiwek)||David Adeleke||2:22|
|9.||"Skelewu (Uhuru Remix)" (by Uhuru)||David Adeleke||4:17|
- "Davido – Skelewu (Prod. Shizzi)". Notjustok. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "iTunes - Music - Skelewu - Single by DaVido". iTunes. March 14, 2014. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- "Get Familiar: Davido – Skelewu". 360nobs. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Afribiz Top 100 Chart". Afribiz. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Abimboye, Micheal (29 December 2013). "Wande Coal, Davido, others make PREMIUM TIMES Top 10 songs of 2013". Premium Times. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Skelewu on the streets: Tottenham superstar, Emmanuel Adebayor dances to Davido's hit song (WATCH)". YNaija. 6 September 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Football legend meets Pop star: Watch Davido, Samuel Eto'O chat up [VIDEO]". Nigerian Entertainment Today. 10 October 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Davido & HKN Gang SKELEWU Instructioinal Dance Video". African Muzik Magazine. 30 August 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Davido & HKN Gang SKELEWU Instructioinal Dance Video". Hiphopworldmagazine. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Davido's Skelewu Competition! Watch Funny Videos Of Dancers In The Toilet, In The Office And In Super Skimpy Shorts!". Pulse Nigeria. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Davido doles out N.48m to 19yr old 'Skelewu' dance competition winner". Nigerian Entertainment Today. 10 October 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Davido Gives Skelewu Dancer Winner 3000 Dollars". Modern Ghana. 15 October 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "DAVIDO – SKELEWU (VIDEO)". Prisoner of Class. 15 October 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "VIDEO: Davido – Skelewu". African Muzik Magazine. 15 October 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Augoye, Jayne (1 November 2013). "Wizkid is not a threat – Davido". Punch Media Limited. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Davido is irresponsible, immature –Sesan". Punch Nigeria Limited. 19 October 2013. Archived from the original on 12 January 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "How Moe Musa Used Concept Of LMFAO's Party Rock Video For Davido's Skelewu? See Photos And Videos". Nigerianmonitor. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Davido releases official 'Skelewu' video". Vanguard Media Limited. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Nigeria: 'Skelewu' Saga - Davido, Director Blast Critics". 26 October 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "'Every Nigerian Video Director is a thief' – 'Skelewu' producer writes NET as Moe Musa rants on Twitter". Nigerian Entertainment Today. 23 October 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "'Skelewu' saga: Davido, director blast critics". Vanguard Media Limited. 26 October 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Music Video Review: Unofficial Video 'Skelewu' by Davido". OloriSupergal. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "DAVIDO SKELEWU VIDEO REVIEW". Afrobeat360. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Mafikizolo, Uhuru, Davido lead nominations for MTV Africa Music Awards". Sowetan LIVE. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- Abimboye, Micheal (31 May 2014). "Pop duo, Skuki, reject Nigerian Entertainment Awards nomination". Premium Times. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "See Nominees for the African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA) 2014". Bellanaija. 9 June 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Marshall, Rhodé (5 September 2014). "Channel O Africa announces Music Video Awards nominees". Mail & Guardian. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "P-Square, Davido, others ignite Guinness World of More concert". Vanguard Media Limited. 1 November 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Davido, Burna Boy, others excite fans at CARNIRIV 2013". The Sun News. 2 January 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Affe, Mudiaga (30 December 2013). "TuFace, Davido, Iyanya, others excite at Calabar Festival". Punch Media Limited. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- 28th April 2014, 12:57. "Major Lazer And Wiwek Remix Davido's 'Skelewu': New Music | Major Lazer". Capital XTRA. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- "Sudan – Skelewu Remix Ft Davido [Unofficial Remix]". Hitplayonline. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Music: Mr Flo – Banana [Skelewu Remix]". Jaguda. 21 September 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "SKELEWU REMIX [CAMEROON] BY SK BOYS". Naijacrackers. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Get Familiar: YemiSax – Skelewu Afro Jazz Remix + Ada Ada [YemiSax Remix]". 360nobs. 28 December 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Song: Leo Mysterio - Sielewi (Skelewu Remix)". bongo5. 27 December 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Alonge, Osagie (6 April 2014). "Stream and download Lyrikal's 'O.C.D' mixtape". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Archived from the original on 7 April 2014. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Farella, Dylan. "Davido - Skelewu (Major Lazer & Wiwek Remix)". Dancing Astronaut. Retrieved 2014-04-30.