Skeptical Inquirer logo
|Publisher||Committee for Skeptical Inquiry|
|Based in||Amherst, New York|
CSI's mission statement is to "encourage the critical investigation of paranormal and fringe-science claims from a responsible, scientific point of view and disseminate factual information about the results of such inquiries to the scientific community and the public." Skeptical Inquirer is an international magazine, but is not a formal scientific journal.
For the thirtieth anniversary of the Skeptical Inquirer in 2006, CSICOP founder Paul Kurtz listed four long-standing policies:
If an article criticizes a proponent of a paranormal claim, he or she is always given an opportunity to respond.
On October 9, 2010 the board announced the following members who also serve on the magazine's board: James Alcock, Kendrick Frazier, Ray Hyman, Scott O. Lilienfeld, Amardeo Sarma, Eugenie C. Scott, David E. Thomas, Leonard Tramiel, and Benjamin Wolozin. (This list was expanded over subsequent months, adding Elizabeth Loftus and Karen Stollznow).
- Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (formerly Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal)
- Skeptic (U.S. magazine)
- The Skeptic (UK magazine)
- The Freethinker (journal)
- Scientific skepticism
- Critical thinking
- The Skeptic's Dictionary
- The Straight Dope
- "Statement of Ownership, Management, and Circulation". Skeptical Inquirer (Amherst, New York USA: Center for Inquiry, Inc.) 39 (6): 12. November–December 2015. ISSN 0194-6730.
Date of filing: September 16, 2015. (Required by 39 U.S.C. 3685) Title: Skeptical Inquirer. Frequency: Bimonthly. Publisher: Center for Inquiry, Inc., Amherst NY. Editor: Kendrick Frazier. Managing Editor: Benjamin T. Radford. Owner: Center for Inquiry, Inc. Average number of (print) copies of each issue during the preceding 12 months: . . . Total (print) distribution: 24,133. Copies not distributed: 10,162. Average number of electronic copies of each issue during the preceding 12 months: 539. Total print distribution + paid electronic copies: 24,672.
- Frazier, Kendrick (May–June 2009). "It's What We Do". Skeptical Inquirer: 4.
- Pinch, T. J.; Collins, H. M. (1984-11-01). "Private Science and Public Knowledge: The Committee for the Scientific Investigation of the Claims of the Paranormal and its Use of the Literature". Social Studies of Science 14 (4): 521–546. doi:10.1177/030631284014004002. ISSN 0306-3127.
- Paul Kurtz (September 2006). "Science and the Public: Summing Up Thirty Years of the Skeptical Inquirer". Skeptical Inquirer 30 (5): 13–19.
- Paul Kurtz (29 October 2010). Exuberant Skepticism. Prometheus Books. p. 218. ISBN 978-1-61592-970-2. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- CSI (May 5, 2011). "CSI Adds to Executive Council - Karen Stollznow and Elizabeth Loftus Join the Board". Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Frazier, Kendrick; Barry Karr (January–February 2011). "CSI(COP) Renews and Expands Executive Council, Plans for Future Activities". Skeptical Inquirer (Committee for Skeptical Inquiry) 35 (1): 5.