Sketch (2018 film)
|Directed by||Vijay Chandar|
|Produced by||Moving Frame|
|Written by||Vijay Chandar|
|Music by||S. Thaman|
|Distributed by||V Creations|
Sketch is a 2018 Indian Tamil-language action film written and directed by Vijay Chandar and produced by Moving Frame. The film features Vikram and Tamannaah in the leading roles, with Soori, Jangiri Madhumitha, Baburaj and R. K. Suresh among others portraying supporting roles. The film was released on 12 January 2018. It was dubbed into Hindi and Telugu with the same title.
The movie begins with Jeeva (Sketch) narrating his story. His uncle Dorai used to tow and bring back vehicles for which the monthly EMI had not been paid. However, during a fight, he loses his hand, and Sketch gets the job. Sketch does his day-to-day job perfectly. Dorai's right-hand Ravi wanted to take over the business. However, Bhaskar Settu (Boss) agrees with Sketch coming up to the position. One day at a college, Sketch tows a scooter that belonged to Manju, Ammu's friend. Another day, he happens to meet her on a bus. When some other guy tries to touch her, Sketch bats away his hand. At the same time, the bus stops quickly, causing Sketch to bump into Ammu. She mistakes this as him trying to make advances on her and yells at him. Only later does she realise that he was trying to protect her, and she falls in love with him. One day, Sketch loses a bike while bringing it back to the garage. The owner gets angry and demands two lakhs from Settu. Sketch realises that this was a plot by Ravi to embarrass him. He faces them to get back the stolen bike and the money. This earns him back Settu's trust, so they celebrate with alcohol. In the end, Settu talks about a time when his father was insulted by "Royapuram" Kumar, a local goon. Settu asks Sketch to sketch a plan to steal Kumar's car. Sketch steals Kumar's car and ends up in a goose chase with police that ends with Sketch creating a rivalry with Kumar. Kumar brings a gang from another state to finish off Sketch and his team. One by one, Sketch's friends die, and Sketch is confused who the killer is. At last, it is revealed in a twist that four boys who were working along with Sketch in Settu's garage were the real killers. They killed them to take Sketch's position. Sketch forgives them and protects the boys from police by asking them to run away. The film ends with indicating Sketch is alive and with a moral: "avoid child labour."
- Vikram as Jeeva (Sketch)
- Tamannaah as Amuthavalli
- Soori as Maari
- Baburaj as "Royapuram" Kumar
- R. K. Suresh as Ravi
- Sriman as Baskar
- Kalloori Vinoth as Chitti
- Kabali Vishwanth as Guna
- Hareesh Peradi as Settu Bhaskar
- Jangiri Madhumitha as Manju
- Sri Priyanka as Priya
- Vela Ramamoorthy as Sketch's father
- Aruldoss as Dorai, Sketch's uncle
- Abhishek Vinod as Shakthivel
- Meghali as Gayathri
- Cheenu Mohan as Gayathri's father
- Jeeva Ravi as Police Officer
- Ravi Kishan
- P. L. Thenappan
- Poster Nandakumar
- K. S. G. Venkatesh
- Ankit as "Archi"
- Vijay Chandar (special appearance in the song "Atchi Putchi")
- Dastha (special appearance in the song "Atchi Putchi")
- Vijay Raghavn (special appearance in the wedding groom)
In November 2016, director Vijay Chandar, who had previously made Vaalu (2015), revealed that his next project would feature Vikram in the lead role. Produced by Silverline Film Factory, who had worked on an incomplete fantasy film titled Karikalan with Vikram during 2010, the film was widely reported to be a remake of the American film, Don't Breathe (2016). Denying the reports, Vijay Chandar later clarified that it was an original script and the film would be set in North Chennai. M. Sukumar was selected as cinematographer, while S. Thaman collaborated with Vijay Chander again despite reports that Anirudh Ravichander was set to be signed.
Sai Pallavi was signed to play the lead actress in the project, marking her first leading role in Tamil films. She later opted out of the film and returned her advance in late February 2017, citing scheduling issues with her work on the Tamil language remake of the Malayalam film Charlie (2015) directed by A. L. Vijay. She was later replaced by Tamannaah, who stated it was "liberating to see a strong storyline in a commercial pot-boiler". Actors Ravi Kishan, R. K. Suresh and Radharavi were selected to portray antagonists in the film. Actor Vishwanath, who had a breakthrough role in Pa. Ranjith's Kabali (2016), was signed on to play a supporting role in the film, with Vijay Chander requesting the actor to take reference of Kalaiyarasan's role in Madras (2014) for his particular character. Actress Sri Priyanka, previously seen as the lead actress in small budget films, was also selected to portray second lead actress in the film.
Following a period of delay, the film began its shoot at Binny Mills in Chennai during early February 2017, with Vikram choosing to simultaneously work on the project alongside his commitments for Gautham Menon's spy thriller Dhruva Natchathiram (2017). The film's title, Sketch, was revealed to the media in April 2017. The shoot of the film was completed in August 2017, after which the makers began the promotional campaign.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||11 May 2015|
|Label||Think Music India|
|S. Thaman, Gopi Sundar chronology|
The soundtrack and background music of Sketch are scored by S. Thaman. Five songs have been released from the film as singles, after being released by other composers.
|1.||"Kannave Kannave – The Swaga Song"||Vijay Chandar||Vikram||5:10|
|2.||"Atchi Putchi"||Vijay Chandar||Vijay Chandar||4:28|
|3.||"Cheeni Chillaallee"||Vivek||Shweta Mohan, Yazin Nizar||4:41|
|4.||"Vaanam Thoorammalae (Afreen Afreen)"||Kabilan||Deepak Subramaniam, Roshini and Shashaa Tirupati||6:04|
|5.||"Dhaadikaara"||Vivek||S. Thaman, Sudha Ragunathan, Andrea Jeremiah||5:06|
|6.||"Dhiname Dhinanme"||Vineeth Sreenivasan||Vineeth Sreenivasan, Mukesh, Aalap Raju, Shabareesh Varma||5:22|
The film's dubbed versions were also released in Telugu and Hindi. The Telugu dubbed version was released simultaneously with the Tamil version while the Hindi dubbed version was released on YouTube by Goldmines Telefilms on 16 September 2018.
- SKETCH (12A) – British Board of Film Classification
- Vikram’s next will be directed by Vaalu fame Vijay Chander. The Indian Express (17 November 2016). Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Vikram: Vikram teams up with Vijay Chander for his next – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Vikram starts shooting for Vijay Chander film. Sify.com. Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Vikram Vijay Chander film heroine and music director yet to be finalized – Tamil Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (5 December 2016). Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Thaman completes three songs for Vikram. Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Vikram: Sai Pallavi opts out of Vikram film | Tamil Movie News – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Sukumar on board for Vikram- Vijay Chander’s next. Sify.com. Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Tamannaah excited to team up with Vikram. Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Ravi Kishan turns villain for Vikram. Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- RK Suresh to play villain in Vikram’s upcoming film. The Indian Express (11 February 2017). Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Vikram: Vishwanath to play a key role in Vikram’s next | Tamil Movie News – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (21 March 2017). Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Sri Priyanka Joins Vikram and Tamannaah For Vijay .... DesiMartini. Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- "Vikram's one more heroine revealed". Top 10 Cinema. 5 April 2017. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Vikram starts shooting for Vijay Chander’s film. The New Indian Express (11 February 2017). Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Vijay Chander's film with Vikram will take 45 days to complete. Behindwoods.com (25 November 2016). Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- "Sketch first look: Is Chiyaan Vikram playing the role of a local goon? See pics". The Indian Express. 7 April 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- Vikram Tamannah Vijay Chander film Vikram53 titled as Sketch – Tamil Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (7 April 2017). Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- "Vikram wraps up 'Sketch', to simultaneously shoot 'DN' and 'Saamy 2'".
- "Chiyaan Vikram's Saamy Square eyes Ramzan weekend release on 14 June- Entertainment News, Firstpost".
- "Sketch (2018) New Released Hindi Dubbed Full Movie – Vikram, Tamannaah Bhatia, Soori".