Ski-Doo is a brand name of snowmobile manufactured by Bombardier Recreational Products. The first Ski-Doo was launched in 1959. It was a new invention of Joseph-Armand Bombardier. The original name was Ski-Dog, but a typographical error in a Bombardier brochure changed the name Ski-Dog to Ski-Doo.
The first Ski-Doos found customers with missionaries, trappers, prospectors, land surveyors and others who need to travel in snowy, remote areas. The largest success for the snowmobile came from sport enthusiasts, a market that opened the door to massive production of snowmobiles. This popularity led to skidoo (sometimes ski-doo), with the derived verb skidooing (or ski-dooing), becoming the traditional generic term for snowmobile in much of Canada.
- "BRP History Pre 1960". BRP. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Bassett, Jerry (July 1, 2007). "Rants and Raves Ten Sleds that Shaped the Sport: Off-Road.com". snowmobile.off-road.com. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "De 1959 à 1964 : La motoneige Ski-Doo" (in French). Musée J. Armand Bombardier. Archived from the original on April 1, 2012.
- "1959 to 1964: The Ski-Doo snowmobile". Musée J. Armand Bombardier. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "Bombardier Ltd: Case Report". Strategic Management, California State University, Hayward. 1997. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "An American's Guide to Canada: Canadianisms". americansguide.ca. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- Nadasdy, Paul (2011). Hunters and Bureaucrats: Power, Knowledge, and Aboriginal-State Relations in the Southwest. UBC Press. p. 273. ISBN 978-0-7748-4041-5.
- Ski-Doo Forums
- Ski-Doo Snowmobile model history link: http://www.ski-doo.com/owner-center/previous-models