Portland Historic Landmark
|Location||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Sculptor||Olin Levi Warner|
|Part of||Portland Skidmore/Old Town Historic District (#75001597)|
It was dedicated September 22, 1888, in memory of Stephen G. Skidmore, a wealthy Portland druggist who died in 1883, and partly financed by his will. It was designed by sculptor Olin Levi Warner for $18,000, all of which was donated. It is styled after fountains Skidmore viewed at Versailles on his visit to the 1878 Paris Exposition and intended for "horses, men and dogs" to drink from. Henry Weinhard offered to pump beer into the fountain at the dedication. It is Portland's "oldest piece of public art".
The fountain is located near the west end of the Burnside Bridge at SW First and Ankeny streets within downtown Portland. The MAX Light Rail line runs past it and has a nearby stop named after the fountain. When Portland Saturday Market is operating, the open area around the fountain attracts street performers and entertained spectators. The fountain also serves as a gathering point for several Portland events, such as SantaCon, Plunderathon, Zombiewalk and several protest/activist gatherings.
- "National Historic Landmark Nomination: Skidmore/Old Town Historic District" (PDF). National Park Service. October 6, 2008. pp. 24, 63. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- Portland Historic Landmarks Commission (July 2010), Historic Landmarks – Portland, Oregon (XLS), retrieved August 31, 2013
- Katauskas, Ted (2009). Portland: Yesterday & Today. West Side Publishing. pp. 20–21. ISBN 978-1-4127-7793-3.
- James Cloutier. "1888 Portland's Skidmore Fountain Dedicated". On This Day In Oregon. Retrieved 2007-01-25.[dead link]
- "Skidmore Fountain, Portland, OR: Reviews of Skidmore Fountain". Yahoo! Travel. Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- "Portland Then & Now". The Oregonian. August 26, 2013. p. B1. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "SW Portland [Fountains in]". Portland Parks & Recreation. Retrieved 2015-10-21.
- Barnes, Tim. "C.E.S. Wood (1852-1944)". The Oregon Encyclopedia.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Skidmore Fountain.|