Skiing in India
|Skiing in India|
Gulmarg Gondola and Chairlift
|Governing body||Indian Mountaineering Foundation|
Skiing in India is an activity that mostly takes place in the northern states of India, where the Himalayas are situated. Skiing is administered by the Indian Mountaineering Foundation in India. The Himalayas provide an excellent skiing experience owing to their great height which makes for long descents. Heliskiing is also gaining popularity in places like Manali and Gulmarg. However skiing in India suffers from lack of infrastructure. There are also security concerns in Gulmarg which is 20 km (12 mi) from the Line of Control, however since 2002, it has been peaceful, which has led to an increase in skiing activity in the region. Some of the most popular skiing locations in India are Gulmarg in Jammu and Kashmir, Solang in Himachal Pradesh and Auli in Uttarakhand. The skiing season in India is from January to March.
List of skiing destinations
- Manali, heli-skiing offered in Hanuman Tibba, Rohtang Pass, Deo Tibba and Chanderkhani Pass.
- Solang Valley (Ropeway available)
- Auli, ropeway from Joshimath
- Dayara Bugyal, near Uttarkashi
- Mundali, in Garhwal district
- Aanchal Thakur won bronze in the Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup organised by the Federation Internationale de Ski. This was India's first international medal in skiing.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-23. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-09-04. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
|This article about sports in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|