Skiing in India
|Skiing in India|
Gulmarg Gondola and Chairlift
|Governing body||Indian Mountaineering Foundation|
Skiing in India is an activity that mostly takes place in the northern states of India, where the Himalayas are situated. Skiing is administered by the Indian Mountaineering Foundation in India. The Himalayas provide an excellent skiing experience owing to their great height which makes for long descents. Heliskiing is also gaining popularity in places like Manali and Gulmarg. However skiing in India suffers from lack of infrastructure. There are also security concerns in Gulmarg which is 20 km (12 mi) from the Line of Control, however since 2002, it has been peaceful, which has led to an increase in skiing activity in the region. Some of the most popular skiing locations in India are Gulmarg in Jammu and Kashmir, Solang in Himachal Pradesh and Auli in Uttarakhand. The skiing season in India is from January to March.
List of skiing destinations
- Manali, heli-skiing offered in Hanuman Tibba, Rohtang Pass, Deo Tibba and Chanderkhani Pass.
- Solang Valley (Ropeway available)
- Auli, ropeway from Joshimath
- Dayara Bugyal, near Uttarkashi
- Mundali, in Garhwal district
Skiing in Manali
- Though Europeans were skiing on slopes of Manali for years, it was Darjeeling’s Wangdi Sherpa’s small skiing school at Vashisht village which started giving lessons on skiing to local residents. Simultaneously Western Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (WHMI) (now ABVIMAS) started its courses in skiing and mountaineering in 1961. Winter Sports Club of Manali was founded by some local skiing enthusiasts in 1978 which instilled spirit of skiing in other youths of the region. In 1984, Winter Games Federation of India (WGFI) was formed by a group of visionaries and adventure loving individuals. When Solang ski slopes were not developed, competitions were organized at Rohtang pass in summer months.
- Aanchal Thakur won bronze in the Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup organised by the Federation Internationale de Ski. This was India's first international medal in skiing.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 February 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 September 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
|This article about sports in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|