Skill positions in gridiron football are the positions which ordinarily handle the ball and are most responsible for scoring points. Offensive players such as quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers and defensive linemen are typically considered skill positions, as are tight ends on occasion.
Skill positions are contrasted with linemen and defensive players. Skill position players are generally smaller than linemen, but they must also be faster and have other talents (such as the ability to throw or catch the ball, cover an opposing receiver, or change directions abruptly) that are less of a priority to linemen.
- "Definition of skill position in English by Oxford Dictionaries". oxforddictionaries.com. Oxford University Press. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Savage, Jeff (2004). Play-By-Play Football. Lerner Publications. p. 39. ISBN 0822514494. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Kedia, Ben L.; Jain, Subhash C. (2013). Restoring America's Global Competitiveness through Innovation. Edward Elgar Publishing. p. 348. ISBN 1781005958. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Arthur, Kenneth (August 5, 2014). "Hands That Feed: The NFL's Best Skill Position Players". Rolling Stone. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- "Non-Skill Position TD Scorers". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Sports Reference. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
|Positions in American football and Canadian football|
|Offense (Skill position)||Defense||Special teams|
|Linemen||Guard, Tackle, Center||Linemen||Tackle, End||Kicking players||Placekicker, Punter, Kickoff specialist|
|Quarterback (Dual-threat, Game manager, System)||Linebacker||Snapping||Long snapper, Holder|
|Backs||Halfback/Tailback (Triple-threat), Fullback, H-back, Wingback||Backs||Cornerback, Safety, Halfback, Nickelback, Dimeback||Returning||Punt returner, Kick returner, Jammer|
|Receivers||Wide receiver (Eligible), Tight end, Slotback, End||Tackling||Gunner, Upback, Utility|
|Formations (List) — Nomenclature — Strategy|
|This American football–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|