Skills like This
|Skills like This|
|Directed by||Monty Miranda|
|Written by||Spencer Berger|
Brian D. Phelan
|Music by||Anthony Marinelli|
Skills like This is a 2007 comedy film directed by Monty Miranda, written by Spencer Berger and distributed by Shadow Distribution released theatrically on March 20, 2009. The DVD released on November 17, 2009 and the Premium Cable premiere on Starz and Starz On Demand 1.1. 2010. It stars Berger, Gabriel Tigerman, Kerry Knuppe and Brian D. Phelan.
- SXSW Film Festival "Best narrative feature audience award" 
- Edinburgh International Film Festival "Best of the fest" 
- Warsaw International Film Festival "Free spirit" - Special Jury Award Nomination 
- Jacksonville Film Festival "Jury prize award for BestUSA feature narrative"
- Spencer Berger as Max Solomon
- Brian D. Phelan as Tommy
- Gabriel Tigerman as Dave
- Kerry Knuppe as Lucy
- Jennifer Batter as Lauren
The movie was shot in Denver, Colorado. Principal photography was completed in 17 days.
In addition to highlighting Denver, Colorado's eclectic music scene, Skills Like This is an entirely Colorado based production. Skills Like This is the first feature length film produced in Colorado, by Colorado filmmakers to be picked up for North American theatrical distribution.
The film won the award for Best Narrative Feature at the South by Southwest film festival. The film won the "Best of Fest" distinction at the Edinburgh International Film Festival  The film won the "Jury Prize for Best USA Feature Film" at Jacksonville Film Festival
Skills Like This screened worldwide on the film festival circuit prior to its American theatrical release by Shadow Distribution in 2009. The film received positive reviews from publications ranging from The New York Times and Variety to Salon.com. In her review for The New York Times, Jeanette Catsoulis wrote, "the offbeat chemistry of the cast, along with Monty Miranda's eye-catching direction...make all the difference... Drawing much of its energy from an eclectic and fully integrated soundtrack, "Skills Like This" gazes indulgently on 20-something aimlessness and the comfort of assigned roles. In Mr. Miranda's hands sloth can be more appealing than you might think." Variety further stated that the main characters of Skills Like This showed "considerable intelligence and chemistry" in addition to calling the film "deftly directed" and from Salon Andrew O'Heir reviewed "Skills Like This" as, "Cheerfully anarchic...indescribably genuine." The film screened in theatrical release for four months.
- "Skills Like This". Coming Soon. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- Catsoulis, Jeannette (March 20, 2009). "20-something Sloth and Larceny". The New York Times. Retrieved May 23, 2010.
- Ronnie Scheib (9 February 2009). "Review: ‘Skills Like This’". Variety. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- Andrew O'hehir (21 March 2009). "Weekend roundup: Movies not to miss". Salon.com. Retrieved 7 November 2015.