Skin (Japanese band)
|Origin||Long Beach, California, United States|
X Japan, Malice Mizer,|
Luna Sea, Dué le Quartz
Skin (stylized as S.K.I.N.) is a United States-based Japanese visual kei rock band founded by several Japanese musicians in 2007. They are Yoshiki, Gackt, Sugizo and Miyavi, all being important to the visual kei movement or closely related to it, but each being from a different generation. Its debut performance was on June 29, 2007, in Long Beach, California, considered as the "Japanese rock concert of the century". Although they had announced more activities, such as a live tour and releasing a record, all activities were suddenly stopped. The future of the band still remains unclear.
Conception and announcement
The band was publicly announced in July 2006 at an Otakon conference where Yoshiki as a guest said, he would be starting a band with Gackt. He announced how the band would be composed of five members, and they're going to produce a recording with a live tour in 2007. In December of the same year, it was announced that Sugizo would be the third member and the first guitarist of the group. And then at the first "JRock Revolution Festival" on May 25, 2007, organized by Yoshiki, he officially announced that Miyavi would be the fourth member and second guitarist, and that Skin would be having its debut performance on June 29, 2007 at the anime expo in Long Beach. Yoshiki confirmed that the group was planning to release an album and that rough recordings of seven or eight songs were made in March 2007. With the well known members the band is considered a supergroup, causing their concert to be called the "Japanese rock concert of the century". Both Gackt and Yoshiki said that they want to be the first Asian band to conquer the world charts, beginning with America. Leading a rock revolution and starting a new era of rock and roll, by opening the market for Japanese in the Western music industry.
On June 12, premiere Skin concert tickets started to be released via internet. However, massive interest led to flooding of the servers, causing them to crash, and in a few hours ticket reservations were temporary stopped. On Thursday night of June 28, Skin performed for the first time at Long Beach Arena, supported on bass by Ju-ken, at the time a member of Gackt's live band. The concert began almost two and a half hours late, for unknown reasons. They performed around five songs, of which four were "Gei-Sha", "Killing you softly", "Beneath The Skin", "Violets", and most lyrics were in English. During the intermediate of the performance of "Beneath The Skin", Gackt and Yoshiki both played piano, Sugizo was on violin and Miyavi played the traditional Japanese shamisen. At the end, Gackt announced that they would meet again.
Since their debut performance, Skin has been inactive. All activity was suddenly stopped without any information and the future of the band still remains unclear.
According to Yoshiki, after the show the members were talking about the next step for the band. However, as the other members had their own projects going on, Toshi from X Japan called him and they talked for the first time in ten years and about possible X Japan reunion. He was not sure what to do next, decided to reunite X Japan for at least one time, but the reaction was overwhelming and when Sugizo joined X Japan's activity continued till today. Yoshiki stated that "it’s a little more like my fault, because I was not planning on doing X Japan at that time, then I started doing X Japan".
In a 2008 interview, Sugizo was asked about the band. He had said that at the meeting was concluded they would definitely continue to work together, but are all too busy to get together at the same time and place, and added maybe from next year summer. But nothing happened the following year, and in a 2009 interview he stated don't know what will happen from now on. In 2011 said that he doesn't want to give up the project, and that they should restart it. During a press conference in June 2010, Miyavi said he was honored being included in the group, and revealed that he would like to become active with Skin in the near future. In November 2011, he tweeted that he met with Yoshiki, and they talked about the band.
In 2010 interviews, Yoshiki said as he is currently working with X Japan and his solo project Violet UK, as well other members on theirs, it will be after them and it's not in his immediate thoughts. In a 2014 interview Yoshiki stated they're still talking about it and "there’s definitely a possibility we will be together, but at this point, we don’t have any specific plan". The song "Beneath The Skin", which Sugizo composed for the Skin, was covered and played by X Japan in 2014.
- Session member
- "YOSHIKI×Gackt、07年より新バンド始動！" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2006-08-15.
- "YOSHIKI&Gackt新バンドにSUGIZO加入" (in Japanese). sponichi.co.jp. 2006-12-28. Archived from the original on 2007-03-23.
- "YOSHIKI、新バンド「SKIN」今夏始動を発表！" (in Japanese). Oricon. 2007-05-27.
- Bow (2007-04-06). "Exclusive interview with Yoshiki". jame-world.com. Japanese Music Entertainment.
- "Anime Expo® 2007 Announces J-Rock Concert of the Century". activeanime.com. 2007-05-26. Archived from the original on September 7, 2008.
- "S.K.I.N. Online". SKIN-online.net. Archived from the original on July 2, 2007.
- "Asian Imports: Attempting to Break Into the U.S. Music Industry". jrockrevolution.com. 2007-06-19. Archived from the original on June 29, 2007.
- "アニメエキスポ Skinのチケット購入殺到でサーバーダウン" (in Japanese). animeanime.jp. 2007-06-13.
- "S.K.I.N. Concert Review". jrockrevolution.com. 2007-07-01. Archived from the original on July 13, 2011.
- Sarah (2007-07-25). "S.K.I.N.'s World Debut". jame-world.com. Japanese Music Entertainment.
- Michael Toole (2014-12-23). "Interview: Yoshiki of X JAPAN". Anime News Network. Retrieved August 21, 2015.
- Justin Tedaldi (2014-12-23). "Interview with Yoshiki of X Japan on the band's Madison Square Garden debut". Examiner.com. Archived from the original on 2016-05-11. Retrieved August 21, 2015.
- The Lady Miz Diva (2008-09-28). "Sugizo Exclusive Interview". The Diva Review. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- Non-Non (2010-04-10). "Interview with SUGIZO". jame-world.com. Japanese Music Entertainment.
- Kay, LuCioLe & jucar (2011-12-07). "Interview with SUGIZO at Japan Expo". jame-world.com. Japanese Music Entertainment. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- "雅-MIYAVI-が、ニューヨークでYOSHIKI、GACKT、SUGIZOと共に組むSkinの結成秘話を披露！". cinematoday.jp (in Japanese). Welva Corp. 2010-06-29.
- "Miyavi's Twitter". Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- FoX (2010-08-08). "Exclusive Interview with YOSHIKI and ToshI". jame-world.com. Japanese Music Entertainment.
- "Interview with Yoshiki". Nippon Project. 2010-09-11. Retrieved October 3, 2014.
- "X JAPAN 4年ぶり国内単独「7人で飛び立つ」". natalie.mu (in Japanese). Natasha Inc. 2014-10-02. Retrieved October 3, 2014.