This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||South Glens Falls, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Brutal death metal|
|Years active||1992–2011, 2013–present|
|Associated acts||Armor Column, Streetsweeper, Enemy Reign, Disciples of Berkowitz, Mucopus|
|Website||Skinless Facebook page|
Skinless was formed by Ryan Wade and Noah Carpenter in the town of South Glens Falls, New York. After relocating to various New York towns and cities such as Saratoga, Clifton Park, and Cohoes, the band settled in Troy, New York.
Skinless is known for its consistently intense performances, as well as for its lyrical mix of end-of-the-world cynicism and comedy, which at times satirizes well known death metal lyrics from bands such as Carcass and Cannibal Corpse, and death metal in general. These lyrical themes are demonstrated in songs such as "The Optimist", about a crumbling human society, and "Tug of War Intestines", which depicts children playing schoolyard games with a surgery patient's internal organs. The band has occasionally brought the "Skinless Girl" on stage and let her be roughed up, covered in fake blood, while the band performed[clarification needed]. Earlier in the band's career, Skinless handed out long tubes of foam for the audience to beat each other while the band played. These tubes were nicknamed "The Logs of Brutality".
Skinless's 1998 debut album, Progression Towards Evil, was an independent release which garnered the band high praise by fans and critics. In June 2010, Skinless played a reunion show with the line-up from the first 2 full-length albums. Guitarist Noah Carpenter wanted Skinless to continue in this formation but the band's "fire" was not there anymore. In April 2011, Skinless officially split up, but soon after announced a farewell performance at Maryland Deathfest 2011. All the members are continuing as musicians in other bands.
- Noah Carpenter – guitars (1992–2011, 2013–present)
- Joe Keyser – bass (1997–2011, 2013–present)
- Bob Beaulac – drums (1997–2002, 2003–2011, 2013–present)
- Sherwood "Thunder Wheel" Webber IV – vocals (1994–2004, 2010–2011, 2013–present)
- Dave Matthews – guitars (2013–present)
- Former members
- Dan Bell – vocals (1992)
- Ted Monsour – bass, vocals (1992–1994)
- Ryan Wade – vocals, drums (1992–1996)
- Jeff Vanloan – bass (1993)
- Mike Levy – vocals (1993–1994)
- Martin Oprencak – vocals (1994)
- Adam Lewis – bass (1995–1997)
- Joe Clark – drums (1996)
- George Torres – drums (2002)
- John Longstreth – drums (2003)
- Jason Keyser – vocals (2005–2009)
- Chris Mahar – drums (2006–2009)
- Progression Towards Evil (1998)
- Foreshadowing Our Demise (2001)
- From Sacrifice to Survival (2003)
- Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead (2006)
- Only the Ruthless Remain (2015)
- Savagery (2018)
- Demo (demo, 1994)
- Swollen Heaps (demo, 1995)
- Frozen Dawn (compilation, 1996)
- Common Ground: A Compilation of Upstate NY's Hardest (split, 1997)
- Maledictive Pigs / Skinless (split, 2001)
- Miscreant (EP, 2002)
- Skinflick (DVD, 2004)
- Regression Towards Evil: 1994–1998 ("best of" compilation, 2007)
- "Reunited Skinless: 'We're Back To Destroy'". Blabbermouth.net. August 13, 2013. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- "Trample The Weak, Hurdle the Dead Skinless". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- "Skinless Laid To Rest". Blabbermouth.net. April 18, 2011. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- "Skinless | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- "Classic Skinless Lineup Reunites For One Off Performance". Blabbermouth.net. June 28, 2013. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- "Skinless: Performance Footage Of New Song 'Serpenticide'". Blabbermouth.net. January 30, 2014. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- "Reunited Skinless Adds Second Guitarist". Blabbermouth.net. October 23, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.